1991 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

I've often wondered why they sometimes pretend that when a actor plays two distinct and really unrelated roles that are no importance to the overreacing continuity of the show, that they might actually be the same person.

To look at something recent. The actress that played Kim Mitchell has made a recent appearance in 2012 as a character, who it appears who she is of no relevance. Why could she not play Kim Mitchell, drug addict of 1989, now reformed with a career.

That's always bugged me too, especially when for example you have actors playing the same type of role, like with Kim Knuckey who played Detective Hunt in the Early Years before returning in 2003 as McGrath.

Sadly it'll just be the case of impracticalities - the scripts are written months in advance with no idea who's going to play this random guest, casting eventually brings up a certain actor who may have been in the show before, but unless the actor mentions it, "Oh I played a policeman years ago", then I don't imagine TPTB would have any clue either way with the thousands that come through the door (they don't keep records like we do!). If the actor did happen to mention it, then it would have to be a guest that they hadn't written any form of backstory for - then it's a case of having to change the name in any existing scripts, something which may be more complicated if they have a lot of interactions and mentions and possibly not worth the bother.

But yes, still think there's plenty of continuity opportunities to be had with old guest characters if they put their minds to it. "Right we need a real estate agent", first page of search results on BTTB brings up 4 different actors from over the years, "Casting company, see if these people are still around and give them first refusal". Then again, not that practical either for such minor characters, but we can dream when it comes to others :P

I would have love Jane Holland to have been the same character when she came back as Romeos mum. Maybe it wouldn't of worked but maybe Jane found out she was pregnant soon after she split from Grant and Mink turned out to be Grants daughter.

I've mentioned this before but the talk of doubling up actors when they could have used the same character for continuity reason has made me think of the sets they could reused. I would have loved Amanda's mansion to have actually been the blaxland mansion, especially as her and Morag were at log aheads most of the time. Also there have been farms on the show. Carly's and Ben, Old man thomson, Nicos, the guy with the pestisides, Sids and probably more. Not too mention all the block of flats the have used such as Andrew and Stacey, Chloe and Lachies, Jesse and Josie, and Romans They could have been all the same apartment block. If they carry on introducing more and more sets they will make SummerBay bigger than the city.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've often wondered why they sometimes pretend that when a actor plays two distinct and really unrelated roles that are no importance to the overreacing continuity of the show, that they might actually be the same person.

To look at something recent. The actress that played Kim Mitchell has made a recent appearance in 2012 as a character, who it appears who she is of no relevance. Why could she not play Kim Mitchell, drug addict of 1989, now reformed with a career.

That's always bugged me too, especially when for example you have actors playing the same type of role, like with Kim Knuckey who played Detective Hunt in the Early Years before returning in 2003 as McGrath.

Sadly it'll just be the case of impracticalities - the scripts are written months in advance with no idea who's going to play this random guest, casting eventually brings up a certain actor who may have been in the show before, but unless the actor mentions it, "Oh I played a policeman years ago", then I don't imagine TPTB would have any clue either way with the thousands that come through the door (they don't keep records like we do!). If the actor did happen to mention it, then it would have to be a guest that they hadn't written any form of backstory for - then it's a case of having to change the name in any existing scripts, something which may be more complicated if they have a lot of interactions and mentions and possibly not worth the bother.

But yes, still think there's plenty of continuity opportunities to be had with old guest characters if they put their minds to it. "Right we need a real estate agent", first page of search results on BTTB brings up 4 different actors from over the years, "Casting company, see if these people are still around and give them first refusal". Then again, not that practical either for such minor characters, but we can dream when it comes to others :P

I would have love Jane Holland to have been the same character when she came back as Romeos mum. Maybe it wouldn't of worked but maybe Jane found out she was pregnant soon after she split from Grant and Mink turned out to be Grants daughter.

I've mentioned this before but the talk of doubling up actors when they could have used the same character for continuity reason has made me think of the sets they could reused. I would have loved Amanda's mansion to have actually been the blaxland mansion, especially as her and Morag were at log aheads most of the time. Also there have been farms on the show. Carly's and Ben, Old man thomson, Nicos, the guy with the pestisides, Sids and probably more. Not too mention all the block of flats the have used such as Andrew and Stacey, Chloe and Lachies, Jesse and Josie, and Romans They could have been all the same apartment block. If they carry on introducing more and more sets they will make SummerBay bigger than the city.

Maybe summer bay has the biggest constuction indusrty in the world demolising and constructing houses and flats?

Along the same lines, in real life, the location for Alf's Bait Shop (with Jesse) and The Beachside Diner were right next door to it, but Alf never made any mention of this fact.

The Beachside Diner that was condemned in 2008 but was still standing onscreen in 2012.

Along the same lines, in real life, the location for Alf's Bait Shop (with Jesse) and The Beachside Diner were right next door to it, but Alf never made any mention of this fact.

And funnily enough. the current pier diner is next to Alf's old bottle shop he ran in 88 and 89. And that diner location has been used for a "posh" restaurant before.

I left out the Hunter's farm in my previous post. I'm sure there are more too.

And funnily enough. the current pier diner is next to Alf's old bottle shop he ran in 88 and 89. And that diner location has been used for a "posh" restaurant before.

I left out the Hunter's farm in my previous post. I'm sure there are more too.

I forgot the Hunters lived on a farm originally.

The Pier Diner is also along the road from Ailsa's original general store, but it no longer stands.

The 'Stewart Supplies' location? If we're talking about 'in reality' then that's a fair way from the Pier Diner.

^I can no longer watch them as they are broadcast (absolutely dreadful reception for 7TWO which spoils it) so I gratefully rely on uploads to catch up - generally I watch about 10 episodes in one go and post my thoughts in one post. Hopefully I'll get a decent enough reception again so that I can start watching daily.

On the locations discussion, I agree. I think changing the locations every few years or not reusing perfectly good locations later down the track really takes away from the 'small seaside town' atmosphere the show had for the first 10/15 years when they did use the same locations.

I wish PLUS7 would upload The Early Years for people to catch up - they upload shows like 'Classic: The Bill' and other 7TWO repeated dramas.

Archived