1991 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

Even when Sally is hanging around with Curtis, Shannon, Selina and Co. they interact with her differently than they do with each other. Like they sort of interact with her like she is outside of their group, or like she is young and inexperienced (i.e teasing her, in a friendly way when she has a boyfriend). I like how onscreen they try to include her, but it feels like they are being polite more than anything.

Exactly how I perceived it as well. I remember a scene around Shannon's exit that went something like this

Chloe: Shannon what am I going to do when you leave? I'll have no best friends left.

Sally: What about me?

Chloe: Oh you don't count, Sal!

And Sally looked a little hurt but I don't think any more came of it, just another of many references to Sally being an outsider.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even when Sally is hanging around with Curtis, Shannon, Selina and Co. they interact with her differently than they do with each other. Like they sort of interact with her like she is outside of their group, or like she is young and inexperienced (i.e teasing her, in a friendly way when she has a boyfriend). I like how onscreen they try to include her, but it feels like they are being polite more than anything.

Exactly how I perceived it as well. I remember a scene around Shannon's exit that went something like this

Chloe: Shannon what am I going to do when you leave? I'll have no best friends left.

Sally: What about me?

Chloe: Oh you don't count, Sal!

And Sally looked a little hurt but I don't think any more came of it, just another of many references to Sally being an outsider.

I seem to remember that was actually part of the whole "Sally feeling no-one loves her" storyline from around 1996 which culminated in her getting shipwrecked(well, raftwrecked)and being stuck out in the bush for weeks with a heavy fever, it was definitely a theme that was running through several episodes at the time.I think Chloe was talking about Shannon and the rest of her age group leaving school.(I seem to remember Chloe got held back a year, as did Curtis although he left around then, so they were in the same classes as Sally.)

I never saw Michael and Pippa's wedding, so that was a nice episode...apart from the Carly/Ben stuff right in the middle of it and making Pippa doubt her future with Michael.

LOL at Adam and the (flamin'!) galahs. I actually hoped that one of his plans had actually worked and he did catch a pair of lovebirds. Does his plans ever work?? His heart was in the right place though. Poor Don at losing them in the first place and having to lie about it. He doesn't lie much but he was pretty convincing.

I never saw Michael and Pippa's wedding, so that was a nice episode...apart from the Carly/Ben stuff right in the middle of it and making Pippa doubt her future with Michael.

LOL at Adam and the (flamin'!) galahs. I actually hoped that one of his plans had actually worked and he did catch a pair of lovebirds. Does his plans ever work?? His heart was in the right place though. Poor Don at losing them in the first place and having to lie about it. He doesn't lie much but he was pretty convincing.

His plan worked when he broke into the boatshed and fixed one of the boats, so he could get a job.

Having seen up to 760, I admit to being slightly bewildered by Carly's departure and the way hers and Ben's storyline went.It seems Ben developed from Carly's knight in shining armour sweeping her off her feet to a loser who ran back to the army because he couldn't handle civillian life.It didn't help that the recurring theme of him making big decisions for them and her objecting for a bit before meekly going on wasn't so much resolved as...repeated.And as for Carly's departure, she didn't even seem to have a farewell scene.Her bit chatting to Pippa and Bobby at the house was the closest and I was kind of expecting her to turn around and walk off with Ben then.Instead, her last scene is of her and Sally seeing Ben off and saying she'll see him soon.So I thought "Oh, okay, she'll stick around to keep an eye on the kids until Michael and Pippa come back, then she'll follow him down."But nope, very next episode she's off the opening titles and apparently gone!

^I agree, and I didn't like the music used in her final scene and she said a tearful farewell to Ben. It was very bitter and "doomsday"ish. Like Carly knew her future was going to be an unhappy one and one she didn't really want. It really felt like it was supposed to be a horrible ending for Carly. I know it wasn't, but it came across that way in both the writing and the music.

I really don't understand why she never got a proper farewell scene with Pippa, Sally, Bobby and any others. Maybe she did and it was cut? I doubt we'll ever know. The only other explanation I can think of is that after Stevo got a proper send-off, they didn't want to draw attention to the fact that another one of the originals was leaving and the show was changing evermore into something new, and so "swept it under the carpet" so to speak. But that's more something the Home and Away of the 21st century is guilty of and not something I'm sure I believe they would do back then.

Archived