1991 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

I've often wondered why they sometimes pretend that when a actor plays two distinct and really unrelated roles that are no importance to the overreacing continuity of the show, that they might actually be the same person.

To look at something recent. The actress that played Kim Mitchell has made a recent appearance in 2012 as a character, who it appears who she is of no relevance. Why could she not play Kim Mitchell, drug addict of 1989, now reformed with a career.

That's always bugged me too, especially when for example you have actors playing the same type of role, like with Kim Knuckey who played Detective Hunt in the Early Years before returning in 2003 as McGrath.

Sadly it'll just be the case of impracticalities - the scripts are written months in advance with no idea who's going to play this random guest, casting eventually brings up a certain actor who may have been in the show before, but unless the actor mentions it, "Oh I played a policeman years ago", then I don't imagine TPTB would have any clue either way with the thousands that come through the door (they don't keep records like we do!). If the actor did happen to mention it, then it would have to be a guest that they hadn't written any form of backstory for - then it's a case of having to change the name in any existing scripts, something which may be more complicated if they have a lot of interactions and mentions and possibly not worth the bother.

But yes, still think there's plenty of continuity opportunities to be had with old guest characters if they put their minds to it. "Right we need a real estate agent", first page of search results on BTTB brings up 4 different actors from over the years, "Casting company, see if these people are still around and give them first refusal". Then again, not that practical either for such minor characters, but we can dream when it comes to others :P

I would have love Jane Holland to have been the same character when she came back as Romeos mum. Maybe it wouldn't of worked but maybe Jane found out she was pregnant soon after she split from Grant and Mink turned out to be Grants daughter.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all!

I had my interest in H&A piqued back in August when 5* here in the UK was showing their pick of the best episodes. Full of nostalgia I started watching TEY from the beginning... Finally after a few months of watching nothing more than H&A I've reached the first episode of 1991 and I can almost join in with you.

I've read all of the previous TEY threads and have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your insights.

Looking forward on catching up to your pace and being able to join in properly with the episode chat!

Hello all!

I had my interest in H&A piqued back in August when 5* here in the UK was showing their pick of the best episodes. Full of nostalgia I started watching TEY from the beginning... Finally after a few months of watching nothing more than H&A I've reached the first episode of 1991 and I can almost join in with you.

I've read all of the previous TEY threads and have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your insights.

Looking forward on catching up to your pace and being able to join in properly with the episode chat!

Great to have another early years supporter!

Hello all!

Hi, looking forward to your participation and discussion! :)

I would have love Jane Holland to have been the same character when she came back as Romeos mum. Maybe it wouldn't of worked but maybe Jane found out she was pregnant soon after she split from Grant and Mink turned out to be Grants daughter.

So does that mean Grant really did have sex with Jane?

Marilyn seems to be the main character in 1991.

Yeah, with the "Educating Rita"-esque going back to school, buying the Beach House, and finally becoming manageress of the store, looks like they are firmly establishing Marilyn as a very main character on the show. I think she's better now than she was in 89 or 90. Shame we've only got

until the end of the next season left before she leaves.

I wonder what storylines she would have had and what would have been done differently if she had stayed continuously up until 1999.

Archived