1991 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering...how would people have felt if Ben had been recast? If it meant keeping Carly around for longer I would have been happy with that.

Eh, I guess so...

To be honest I don't know what I think of Ben. After marrying Carly, his point in the Bay seems to have failed to materialise. Any role he might have meant to have had as head of the household in Summer Bay House didn't work for me. I find him annoying, and I think it's the character not the actor so I'd probably still feel the same after a recast. I'd rather he left and Carly stayed... but then how would that work? They couldn't kill him off, not to soon after Tom, not in the one household... could they? And they couldn't get divorced because after Bobby and Frank (and Frank and Roo!) who were also young when they married, it would have seemed preachy to have another young marraige break up.

I find Ben annoying too but I loved him at the beginning. Granted, I think he's improved recently but he very

Much seems like Pippa's foster son. What did it for me was his stubbornness in accepting a job from Michael. Perhaps Sharon Hodgson wanted to leave and I suppose some viewers may have reacted badly considering Pippa's had been recast shortly before. I do feel like we lose Carly way too early. I would argue she was the biggest character in the first few months of 1988. Btw I agree that Ben's annoying nature was more to do with the writing than the acting.

I agree, she really was one of the main characters in 1988. Would love if she stayed longer. After she left she did the Home and Away musical with Matt, Martin, Steven and Viv. Or maybe it was just before she left. Hoping that one day she will find herself back in the bay again. But without Sal there I'm not sure how. I'm sure they could think of something.

I don't consider Ben one of Pippa's foster children by any means:He's effectively her son-in-law and almost by definition an adult.So while it's definitely her house, he's more her equal than Steven or Sally, so it's understandable he'd take on more responsibility towards them.(Interestingly, I find Pippa and Carly's relationship is more one of equals these days as well:It's hard to imagine Pippa discussing her feelings for Michael with the younger ones.)I do wonder, thinking about it now, if they were considering writing Pippa out rather than recasting and leaving Ben and Carly in charge of the household:Older adult siblings taking on responsibility for the younger ones isn't unheard of and, much further down the track, they do go for a younger couple in that role when Pippa leaves.Either way, with Pippa still around it makes sense to have someone like Michael as the man of the house rather than Ben and you can see the writers struggling to find a role for him and Carly, which to be honest, despite the stubborn and bad-tempered streak that suddenly appeared just after the wedding, they haven't done too badly at.

I'd be disappointed if Carly was written out because the actor who played Ben (his name escapes me) wanted to leave for Hollywood. Do we even know if the writers wanted to get rid of both of them?

I think I would have preferred Ben and Carly split up over a re-cast, which would have been really sad for Carly but then they could have started fresh with the character. However I'd be fine with a re-cast now and I still think bringing her back to the current show as the head of Summer Bay House and foster parent would be perfect.

I'd love to see how she copes with her selfish streak and hot temper as an adult, but she also has that 'warm', classic H&A feel that is missing from the current lot of character. I could just see her, Roo and Maz getting on brilliantly.

Archived