1991 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

Told you right from the start I never liked Ben or what he does to Carly, on top of the filthy, stomach-churning scenes in the leadup to their "wedding" and the ridiculously rushed "marriage proposal" just 7 episodes after he set foot in Summer Bay.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa, sounds like something has happened that I haven't seen yet... Ben does treat the place like his own, but I thought he was helping run the place? Up to now, Pippa hasn't had any real problem with him, other than the goats, but then she told him she didn't really mind.

It's actually struck me that, with Michael slowly usurping his place as the alpha male at the caravan park, Ben seems to be morphing into a comedy character:His succession of hairbrained schemes make him seem like a more honest version of Adam.I don't think anyone imagined when he came in as a rather straight-laced, old-fashioned gent that the following year he'd be breeding goats in the garden and acting like he's been possessed by Richard Briers in The Good Life.

I may be in the minority, but I enjoy everything Ben brings to the show. He comes across as a very 'real' sort of character, similar to Matt (only more likeable) and Michael, in that his purpose does not seem to be to provide drama, but instead to just be that normal guy, having natural, every-day sort of interactions with other characters and helping to sell the illusion of Summer Bay being a real place with real people. He bounces off other characters really well, especially Pippa... and that alone is enough of a purpose.

As for his stubborn, alpha male ways... he's been like that from the moment he arrived. It's a consistent character trait, so even though he may not always be the most likable person (though I like him! He's harmless!), he is still a well written character imo.

Adam Cameron.... :ph34r: Argh. He's just about due a good old fashioned public- humiliation.

I'm wondering if they brought Ben in because they felt there needed to be an adult male among the Fletchers with Tom being killed off.Given some of the comments on here complaining about him acting like a father figure towards Steven(which I actually thought he did a pretty good job of), I'm wondering if people thought the same at the time and that's why they decided to bring in someone older to fill that role.

I may be in the minority, but I enjoy everything Ben brings to the show. He comes across as a very 'real' sort of character, similar to Matt (only more likeable) and Michael, in that his purpose does not seem to be to provide drama, but instead to just be that normal guy, having natural, every-day sort of interactions with other characters and helping to sell the illusion of Summer Bay being a real place with real people. He bounces off other characters really well, especially Pippa... and that alone is enough of a purpose.

As for his stubborn, alpha male ways... he's been like that from the moment he arrived. It's a consistent character trait, so even though he may not always be the most likable person (though I like him! He's harmless!), he is still a well written character imo.

I agree. I've always liked Ben really. He can be demanding at times, but that just adds to the drama. To me, like Carly, he's consistent and well written so I enjoy his scenes. I'll miss them both when they go. I think its a shame that it feels like Carly has been given minor storylines recently, I'm waiting for the next big plot for her but I don't think its going to come. Did Sharyn Hodgson decided to leave or was it the producers decision does anyone know?

I'm also enjoying the Sally, Pippa/Michael storyline. The writing has also been consistent and character focused. None of this 'sweeping under the carpet' after a couple of scenes, it is playing out realistically.

Don't get me wrong, I also like Ben and the direction they seem to be taking him. Ben and the goats were amusing.

I hope Marilyn does dump Adam, he's being really annoying lately. I miss his get rich quick schems and his phrase " Trust me."

Archived