1991 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

She was only around for a week in 1998 and befriended Alf whilst he was staying in one of the other caravans (he was going through a rough patch with Ailsa) - she ended up saving his life when there was a fire in his caravan.

Isn't that the lady who walked on Alf who was half naked in the daylight...?? I remember seeing that episode...um...not sure if I am right. :unsure:

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha I laughed at Fisher's comment too. I always enjoy watching Marilyn and Fisher's scenes, knowing what happened between the two of them a few years down the track.

I felt sorry for Carly too, it kind of highlights how young and naive both Ben and Carly can be at times - you'd think they would realise that if one of the two of them don't want to do something, it would be a bad idea to pursue because it could lead to problems in the future.

Having said that, I can see Ben's opinion about giving and taking in a relationship. You could flip it around, this seems like something Ben really wants and has become passionate about - so why should he give up on his dream of running a farm because his wife doesn't want to? They need to find some sort of compromise really. I don't think its a good idea to run a farm. Carly doesn't really want to do it and will be unhappy, which is unfair - plus they both have no idea how to run a farm as a business. I think they're rushing in to it.

Bobby's comment, I can defend whilst I disagree with it and I'm on Carly's side. Bobby knows Carly can be selfish, she always calls her on on it and most of the time it can be justified - this time Bobby is wrong, but she's just judging her on past experience, as black and white as that is.

I can see both Ben and Carly's point of view:Ben's obviously very keen on the idea of running the farm and wants Carly to love it as much as he does but Carly knows that that sort of life would just make her miserable and that's not good for them.Bobby's comment I actually found quite jarring:Only a few minutes earlier she was making jokes about how absurd an idea Carly living on a farm is, yet when Carly agrees with her she suddenly gets judgemental about it.

That scene between Alf and Pippa from ep 709 was great. I really love the friendship between the older characters. Even though there are more older characters in the current show, they don't seem to have that bond these cast members have.

I really enjoyed that scene too. Wow I'm quite shocked that there are more older characters in the current show. Probably because they don't get any screen time. That whole friendship aspect of the current show has become so weak that it makes it feel very cold to me.

j.laur asked me to post this for them.

There are 16 regulars at moment

Pippa

Michael

Ben

Carly

Sally

Bobby

Sophie

Adam

Marilyn

Matt

Haydn

Alf

Ailsa

Blake

Karen

Donald

But 5 will leave(Carly Ben Karen Hayden Matt)

And five new characters coming in(Nick Simon Lucinda Finlay Gerg)

Heres who replace who

Lucinda- replace-Carly

Nick-replace-Ben

Simon-replace-Haydn

Finlay-replace-Karen

Greg-replace-Matt

Thanks Ryan.

I'm gonna be really sad when Carly leaves.

Why isn't Carly considered as legendary as others such as Selina and Shannon etc?

Maybe it's just due to how popular the show became during their stint? Same as Angel and Shane. I see Carly the same way as I see Sally and Bobby - especially after watching the re-runs, a classic character who is very 'real' and relatable. I really like her. I also think she is a well written and acted character.

I think that if she had remained on the show longer, or if she was still in the show today, she would be considered more of a legend. It's a shame she left when she did because it feels like there is still so much mileage and she's the sort of character you can throw anything and everything at.

Archived