1991 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

^Yes, Cynthia arrived last week.

Oh I'm really going to miss Carly when she leaves. I can't believe how fast the time has gone by, it felt like she and Stevo were in H&A longer than a few years. I'd be so impressed if the current producers decided to bring her back and run the Caravan Park with Ben and the kids. I wonder if Sharyn would accept. Do you think she was asked back for Michael's funeral or not? The funeral and death was so well written that I suppose I didn't think about past characters returning at the time. Ideally Sophie and Carly would have returned.

Yeah, now that you mention it, Michael's funeral is the only one where I've never really thought "so-and-so should be there". I think because the first half of the episode is so insular, we are inside Pippa's head, we don't really see it from a viewer's point of view. And then Haydn turns up, the one past character who REALLY should be there, so we are happy about that, and don't stop to think about Sophie, Finlay, Damien etc.

And as for Carly, I've always liked her but I've never really rated her. She is one of those characters who was always around, and it's only now that her exit is approaching, I'm wishing I had appreciated her more. She was definately one of the most consistently written characters on the show, and I love how flawed she is. I appreciate a character who isn't a villain, but can be dislikeable. I'd also like to add that I like and always have liked Sharyn Hodgson's acting. She brought a lot of zest and energy to the role, but she could also turn on the emotion or serious-ness at the drop of a hat. And she continued to slip back into character during her returns. I think her 2008 return was my favourite, because of the way she and Steven niggle each other, like they were still teenagers.

I love the comment she makes about Morag in 2008 too, since she would have last seen her in 1989 and would be unaware of how she's developped. I thought that was a nice touch.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't Michael's ex wife have enormous eyes?

Has Belinda Giblin (Cynthia Ross) appeared on 7TWO yet? I'm dying to see those episodes!

I just keep remembering that Belinda Giblin turns up again in 1998 as a blind woman.Guess it was the enormous eyes that got her the part.

Doesn't Michael's ex wife have enormous eyes?

Has Belinda Giblin (Cynthia Ross) appeared on 7TWO yet? I'm dying to see those episodes!

I just keep remembering that Belinda Giblin turns up again in 1998 as a blind woman.Guess it was the enormous eyes that got her the part.

^I have no memory of that!

She was only around for a week in 1998 and befriended Alf whilst he was staying in one of the other caravans (he was going through a rough patch with Ailsa) - she ended up saving his life when there was a fire in his caravan.

^I agree.I don't blame Ben so much, even though his sudden desire to be a farmer is somewhat left field and he's been a bit pushy.(Did he really expect Carly to be jumping for joy at the idea?)But I really didn't like Bobby saying that to Carly, it's not like Bobby's ever been one for compromise or doing things she doesn't like.It felt like I was supposed to dislike Carly but instead I found myself on her side.

Can't blame Sophie for wanting Haydn to stick around.She was clearly torn over the fact that someone she loves is going to be hurt whatever happens but Pippa kind of solved the dilemma herself by, rather insanely, calling time on her relationship with Michael for the sake of a failed marriage that doesn't have a hope of being resurrected.

^I agree.I don't blame Ben so much, even though his sudden desire to be a farmer is somewhat left field and he's been a bit pushy.(Did he really expect Carly to be jumping for joy at the idea?)But I really didn't like Bobby saying that to Carly, it's not like Bobby's ever been one for compromise or doing things she doesn't like.It felt like I was supposed to dislike Carly but instead I found myself on her side.

Can't blame Sophie for wanting Haydn to stick around.She was clearly torn over the fact that someone she loves is going to be hurt whatever happens but Pippa kind of solved the dilemma herself by, rather insanely, calling time on her relationship with Michael for the sake of a failed marriage that doesn't have a hope of being resurrected.

Thats exactly it. I feel as a viewer I meat to think - there goes Carly again being selfish. But instead I am thinking, poor Carly being pushed into living on a farm and becoming a baby maker. Maybe cuz times have changed, I don't know, but Ben seems as if his Victorian almost. Alright for Bobby to say no to Geoff about living on a farm. If anyone should side with Carly, it should be her!

Thats exactly it. I feel as a viewer I meant to think - there goes Carly again being selfish. But instead I am thinking, poor Carly being pushed into living on a farm and becoming a baby maker. Maybe cuz times have changed, I don't know, but Ben seems as if his Victorian almost. Alright for Bobby to say no to Geoff about living on a farm. If anyone should side with Carly, it should be her!

Archived