Irene Roberts - Lynne McGranger

Cerise

I think what alexx means is to not have Irene just dishing out advice to random characters.

We should see her develop relationships with other characters and see a trusting relationship form.

We should also see her live her own life and develop as a person - which we all do!

I agree with this. I remember when Selina got involved with the cult and when Nick suffered under Angie's mind games, she would stop at nothing until they were okay and would be very fiercely protective over them. I remember a line Irene said to Angie - "I don't care if you're the deputy principal, or the Queen of Sheba. You make trouble for Nick, lady, I make trouble for you".

I can't imagine Irene doing things like that with the teens that live with her nowadays. They don't feel like foster kids; they just feel like housemates, and that's it.

Edited by Jamie!
  • Like 1

If Irene gets badly hurt by the bomb blast and if her injury lasts longer than two weeks unlike Casey's fear of never walking injury did :lol: Or even Dex's brain damage. The writers arent much good for writing for characters with life changing injuries on this show. So part of me thinks that Irene will be fine after about a week or so. But if she isn't maybe Sasha, Chris and Spencer will take a big part in helping her get her life back on track. It could open up some very strong storylines for Irene if done right.

I think she'll be badly shaken up by the blast and may feel like her life is just one big train wreck.

We could see her become frightened to go out into the community and it would be great to see a vulnerable and fragile side to Irene.

Maybe it will lead to one of her children coming back too.

I really think Irene will be one of the victims who we will see get rescued, then the next time we see her a few minutes later, she's wrapped in a towel in the hospital corridor (or equivalent), coffee in hand, insisting "I'm alright darl, I'm just worried about Bianca the poor love"... and that'll be that. She has no partner to break up with or child, so they probably won't see any potential in having her suffer lasting effects. It'll all be about Bianca and Ricky, I'd put money on it.

Lynne did only say she was 'involved' in a big action storyline, which she has been, simply by being in the hall when the bomb exploded, she didn't necessarily say that Irene would having her own personal story strand as a result.

Argh, I have such massive long term plans for Irene stuck in my head, from inception to conclusion (can't share, because the writers will never be able to do it then!)... now if I only I was on the damn writing team :ph34r:

Edited by -Andrew-
  • Like 1

I was rewatching the Irene/Corey poisoning storyline on youtube. In my opinion this is the last truly great storyline Irene has had, although she has had a few good ones since, nothing has beaten that since 2005. And even that had its flaws in the lack of fallout for Irene once Corey was caught.

As someone said a while ago, we had the Fletcher reunion in 2000, the Stewart reunion in 2005, it's time for a Roberts reunion. I'd tune back in to see it, but I don't think in a milion years it will happen.

• Like 1

No, it just doesn't seem to be of interest to the writers.

What the HELL is Bevan Lee thinking? He has done great things in the past for the show but now he doesn't seem to care.

I think as Network Script Executive he is involved in name only. I don't think he actually takes any active interest in the show or its direction anymore. Which is a shame, but he's been back and saved the show twice, and both times the people that followed failed to learn any lessons. You can't blame him for washing his hands of it.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

If I was a producer of Home and Away, I would give Irene a big storyline/purpose. She has been criminally underused and she needs her own family in Summer Bay. Irene is an iconic character and I wonder why TPTB are so reluctant to give her more airtime and give her family members??

• Like 2

JamesC10 - I completely agree. Maybe when the Braxton era comes to an end, we will hopefully see the return of a more character driven ensemble storylines. Irene has been criminally underused in previous years. I think her last major storyline was the cancer storyline but that fizzled out too prematurely. One aspect of that storyline with which I could never understand, is why was there no reference to Belle, and again no connection to the unanswered development site. I absolutely loved her relationships with Belle, Geoff, Annie, and Aden. They were so refreshing real, and the dynamics between all the actors lit up the screen, making them a pleasure to watch. Oh how I miss those type of scenes. Writers, please let Irene's character return to her mothering/fostering roots helping troubled, wayward kids turn their lives around.

• Like 3