Irene Roberts - Lynne McGranger

Cerise

I've seen original Irene recently and it's hard to believe that the nice woman, today working in the diner was once such a monster. And that monster was exciting to watch. As for Lynne's Irene I have only seen her from 2012-present episodes and she is boring. But after reading in this forum I understand it's a result of neglectance and this Irene could be interesting without being evil.

I've seen original Irene recently and it's hard to believe that the nice woman, today working in the diner was once such a monster. And that monster was exciting to watch. As for Lynne's Irene I have only seen her from 2012-present episodes and she is boring. But after reading in this forum I understand it's a result of neglectance and this Irene could be interesting without being evil.

Lynne's Irene had massive storylines during her 20 year tenure. But in recent years, she has been neglected a lot. Hopefully, Irene will get a big storyline soon and she'll be interesting.

• 3 months later...

Lynne's Irene had massive storylines during her 20 year tenure. But in recent years, she has been neglected a lot. Hopefully, Irene will get a big storyline soon and she'll be interesting.

As its previously been said though. It is not big storylines that Irene needs, but a purpose in the show.

As its previously been said though. It is not big storylines that Irene needs, but a purpose in the show.

I agree with this. I suspect Lynne doesn't want massive continuous storylines but interesting little vignettes which give her chances to interact with characters as a source of advice and support. Her varied life experience makes her ideally suited to that role.

I agree with this. I suspect Lynne doesn't want massive continuous storylines but interesting little vignettes which give her chances to interact with characters as a source of advice and support. Her varied life experience makes her ideally suited to that role.

Whilst I agree that she is suited to that role, I also think it's important that they don't only have her do that sort of stuff alone. Otherwise she would just be the same Irene as she is now, but instead of dishing out coffee she'd be dishing out sympathy and advice here and there. They still need to give her a purpose and some character on her own and develop her that way too - like they did up until 2005.

Whilst I agree that she is suited to that role, I also think it's important that they don't only have her do that sort of stuff alone. Otherwise she would just be the same Irene as she is now, but instead of dishing out coffee she'd be dishing out sympathy and advice here and there. They still need to give her a purpose and some character on her own and develop her that way too - like they did up until 2005.

Perhaps that is her purpose.

I wonder why Irene was recast. I've just found an article from 1992 TV WEEK, that Jacqy was willing to reprise the role.

http://televisionau.com/2012/06/1992-june-21-27.html

You can tell from watching her scenes that she really enjoyed playing the role too. My guess is she simply had another job going on, probably in theatre. When the producers came knocking, she was unavailible, so they recast the role.

Interesting that by June 1992, Cornelia/Morag was still thought of as the show's nastiest character.

Edited by beau_t

I think what alexx means is to not have Irene just dishing out advice to random characters.

We should see her develop relationships with other characters and see a trusting relationship form.

We should also see her live her own life and develop as a person - which we all do!

Mustn't have express myself very well. I agree with you about her developing relationships and I think her community role in the diner coupled with her more involved role with "boarders" in her house places her ideally for that.