2024 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Roo continued to be utterly ridiculous, dubbing a donation "suspicious" just because she's (irrationally) suspicious of it.Did she really expect the committee to agree with her bizarre argument of "We shouldn't spend an anonymous donation because we don't know who it's from"? About the only sensible thing she said was that the money was needed to cover normal operating costs and John shouldn't be treating it like extra money for them to splash about.Maybe if she'd focused on that, instead of insisting the money shouldn't be spent at all, she might have got a few more takers.I was slightly confused when it was referred to as sponsorship money: How do you sponsor something anonymously? Isn't the idea of a sponsor that their name's plastered over everything?

No sympathy for Mackenzie here, how did she think this would end up? She threw herself at a man she knew virtually nothing about, then decided to sleep with him despite knowing he's married to "get it out of our system" (does that ever actually work?). I guess I do respect her for belatedly putting a stop to things. Unfortunately, despite the episode drawing a line under Levi, there's still that feeling that he's a regular now so he'll probably be back.

Mali went from enthusiastically celebrating Rose's promotion to sulking about her lack of free time pretty quickly! Even though her pep-talk was a bit lame, I liked Felicity's enthusiasm when first rocking up at Salt: There's always that feeling that Jacqui plays scenes a lot lighter than they might seem on paper and makes her character a lot more likable than she could be.

Roo may be overreacting but she is right, it could be dodgy - $30,000 is a ton of wonga.  I know she is going the wrong way about it but that is Roo. John had done his homework which is typically John, to make sure the Surf Club's rules on how the club is run and what happens to any monies given/donated and how it should be spent are being followed. Speaking of whom, the committee, it appears did have enough members for that emergency meeting John called.   I missed that bit about it being called sponsorship money but it was a donation wasn't it, which normally would be a one-off?  Henderson was a regular sponsor too. 

Oh and Irene has reappeared, no mention that she had been anywhere. just making it look like she'd not been on shift at the Diner since the last time we saw her.   

Mac really hasn't had much luck with her love life has she - her first romance  in the bay with Colby didn't go without a hitch, Belle and Dean not liking them being  together.  Same with Ari, him being an ex con,   her brief flirtation with Tane, then Mia reappearing, and being dumped by him, finding she'd lost the baby was having by him.  Then her picking up several random guys one of whom turned out to be Emmett Ellison, Bella's mentor, they did have a brief relationship but it finished when he went to the States.  Then there was Logan and  most recently Gabe. 

Oh yes the old 'getting it out of our system' reason for sleeping together.   Same as a secret/forbidden kiss - followed by "This will never happen again". 🙄  

This one does have disaster written all over it as someone will be getting hurt.   She did do well by resisting  calling him all that night, but then went to see him to say goodbye.  All that stress can't be doing her heart much good - health wise that is.   It did look like Levi was going back to the city but if he is going to be  a regular guess something changes so he stays.  This has to signal we'll be seeing Imogen at some point. 

Mali did suddenly go off the idea of Rose being senior constable pretty quickly. Was it because she wasn't there  to cook his tea for him - only joking.  She could hardly knock off early on her first day.  Many women have had that problem in the past when their hubbies/fiances/ boyfriends have to stay at work because of having to finish up paperwork etc. now the flip flop🩴 is on the other foot. A cops' work isn't always 9-5 or whatever their shift is. 

There are more staff than just Xander at Salt then, I saw about five, did that include the chef?   At least Flick's speech/boost to them didn't drag on too long, she was very enthusiastic.    Xander has got a new job too getting more customers in like running events similar to the Fund Raising, but the one for the Surf Club committee meeting didn't meet Flick's idea of fun.  But a Fund Raising Event wouldn't be an everyday thing and the committee are their landlords and they could pass on the word that Salt would be a good place to hold any events they have planned.  Quietly dropped in Tane had left for NZ. 

• Like 1

Roo continues to try and be as absurd as possible, with even Irene having got fed up of her dog-with-a-bone attitude.She definitely deserved that serve from Rose for pretty much wasting police time with wild suspicions.I'm glad that Cash went and had a word with Rose first and gave her a bit of a pep-talk: I like that their friendship's continuing although I'm not sure what it says for her and Mali that they were unable to communicate.Anyway, it seems Cash is on the case.Hopefully it'll turn out to be a lot of fuss about nothing.

Mackenzie spilled the beans to Mali eventually, which he kind of took in his stride.It seemed to add to the tension between him and Rose though: Even Mackenzie grimaced when he made that comment about her finding time to have coffee.

Irene tried to give Justin some tough love about stalking out Leah's place of work, but probably didn't intend for him to stake out her house instead.

Roo as she can be so often is going OTT so should back off  a bit, but I still think she is right to question that much money being donated anonymously.  Unless of course it was Alf.🤔  I didn't see why she was so uptight about John spending it on vital equipment like  the radios, we don't know how old the ones they've got are, only many times you can repair them. They would be vital for communicating between the life saving teams. It was absurd her calling Rose to sort it, it's not  a police matter - yet.   Handy how Cash just happened to be there so he could offer his services as an investigator albeit a very new one.   I liked that talk he had with Rose, he'd been there, done that, got the uniform and it was only her second day.  Why, though, would Gerald talk to Cash who he doesn't know that well when he wouldn't talk to Roo?🤔 

Mali, just like Theo had been, is in the middle of Mac and Rose, he's trying to guard her secret but not able to tell Rose why he feels he has to be so protective towards Mac.   Mac hardly did a full shift at Salt, just collected a few trays, but getting out in the fresh air did help. Not as if she went from the farmhouse to a motel room and back again,😆 but really got in the fresh air.  Very wise of him not to judge her, she is an adult after all, it was her choice.   

Justin needs some very firm words spoken to him, personally I wanted to slap him!  Has he forgotten he's got a business - again - or is he leaving it to Theo who can't do much. Leah asking him to stay for the meal when he dropped her things off was just a spur of the moment request, she felt safe as there were others around.   He is reading far too much into it and him haunting the Diner hoping she'll pitch up is going nowhere.  I thought he understood  she wanted to go at her own pace - seemingly not.   If I was Irene I would let her know Justin keeps popping in on the off chance she'd be there.  As we saw he did pitch up at the Stewart house - lurking -  for want of  a better word.   Him banging on the screen door wouldn't have encouraged  her to open the door even of she had been there. 

Irene, after not being seen for about a week was very involved in that episode,  was brought up to date about Cash, telling Roo to ask for advice about this maybe scam, don't think she intended it to be Rose though, then effectively telling Justin to sod off.  

Justin did eventually realise that hanging around outside Leah's house wasn't a good look.And just as he's decided to back off and leave things be, Valerie steps in to bring everyone together.It's hard to figure Valerie out at this point:As Theo points out, instead of going home, she's ended up going to see her new friend Leah.Does she not have anywhere else to go?(We get a reference to a death in the family here.) Maybe sorting Leah's life out is all she's got to do at the moment.Of course, it's possible some of it was about spending time with Theo... I can't really blame Justin for not knowing how far to take it at the end, hopefully it's not too big a setback.

Quite a lot going on elsewhere.It doesn't say much for either Cash or Roo's investigative abilities that he needs Dana to fill him in on the Hendersons and the significance of the size of the donation...although her career as a detective's plucky girl assistant didn't last very long. (She suggests both Simon and Banjo as the donor so...does that mean they're not?) And then she gets roped in as an advisor by Xander as well! Cash was reading way too much into that hug so it's good that Felicity filled him in and that she seems to have taken a healthy attitude to it all.

• Like 1

Cash to Mackenzie:"Levi must be happy with your progress" - Yeah, I bet he is.

I did find Mackenzie's presence during the scenes when Cash and Rose were arguing quite amusing.  Well the cracks are reopening in their relationship.  I think Mali using Mackenzie's recovery to not spend time with Rose is just an excuse, possibly to punish her for not responding to his text earlier on in the day, but as mentioned there is a wider issue with the lack of communication.

Whilst I think it was harsh, I did laugh when Rose told Roo to back off.  I believe this is slightly out of character (when she caught Stacey with that guy in the car, whilst she was exclusive with Xander, even though she wasn't happy, she was still calm enough to be professional telling them to move on) and do think Rose will issue an apology when she next sees her.  I do understand Roo wanting to find out where the donation came from but watching her pursuit is getting a bit much now.

I found Felicity quite annoying how she was re Cash investigating where the Surf Club donation came from.  It was her whole attitude and the way she was making fun of him.  Dana was also really annoying but that's to be expected with her as far as I'm concerned.

Agree with the other comments questioning what Valerie's deal is.  She hasn't spent much time with Leah, it's hard to see that they've bonded that much but I am interested to know more.

To be fair to Cash, he doesn't know what we and Mali know about Mac and Levi does he?

Justin hanging around Alf's could be seen as stalking seeing as he has been asked several times to back off.   Valerie is an odd one to make out, she does seem very keen to sort out Leah's problem getting too close to Justin too soon and she does have good suggestions.   

Justin did remember he's got  a garage!  Just in time for Valarie to turn up, how did she know where it was?  Valarie did seem taken by Theo, she liked his playing and had heard of Lyrik!    Theo only asked questions that you would ask if you'd only just met with someone,  it seemed Valarie had an interesting   life before going into the clinic.  Theo did appear to have hit  a nerve when he asked about this death. 

Did we miss a call from Leah to suggest she and Valerie come to dinner at Justin's? For now at least for Leah there is safety in numbers, but that idea got thrown out as Valerie and Theo left to go for drinks at Salt leaving Leah and Justin alone together!😲  I was worried about any knives Leah may have been  washing up and Justin being so close.  But phew he survived, got Leah home safely, I think it was a bit of both of them going in for a kiss but it was Leah who backed away.  How long was Leah in the clinic where she and Valarie had been roomies, could Valarie be the kind to latch onto people?

Had Maz been left at home playing Cinderella  scrubbing the floors? 

Well Roo didn't tell Cash anything about Simon and his withdrawal of his sponsorship money being the same as the mystery donation did she?  Was the amount any donor makes supposed to be something only the committee would know?  Well, I've mentioned 🪕 before and the fact he is Simon's son and he's dropped out of his Bronze Medallion Class, make of it what you will.   Roo was pushing Rose to investigate when, so far, there is nothing to investigate.

Not making excuses for Flick teasing Cash when he was working and it does involve  her landlords, but they are brother and sister, I guess that is what you would do. Anyway it was good to see her so upbeat.  Dana has had been said before did put Cash onto  another lead. Of course we should mention he isn't a PI yet, he's just an amateur.