1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

These episodes have been absolutely great, I've just had a repid catch-up. I'm so so glad that Martha's now been put up for adoption because IMO Roo is the weakest link of the current cast by a country mile and now that I've watched the stories so rapidy I've begun to realise that.

One thing I have noticed is that since the episode in which Bertram drinks coffee at the store, the community feel has started to take on a magical feel, which wasn't there in episodes before. It just feels like everyone has their place and a role in the community, and I think that's great. I have to admit I'm a little bit disappointed that the early years relied so heavily on guest cast - I know Home and Away has had a tendency to do that even in recent years, take 2007 for example, but Stacey, Phillip, and particularly Narelle are all really fantastic characters. Colleen is another gem, I loved her interaction eith Donald a few episodes back.

I also think Floss and Neville have a strong presence in the bay even when they're not doing much. They are among my favourite characters, severely underrated!

Good post, and I agree about the guest characters. I really like Stacey, Phillip has worn on me and Narelle was great, it’s a pity she left. Last week was probably the best week of TEY, but seems almost every week I'm saying that! I really enjoyed the Carly and Gary storyline, and it's been continuing this week but on a different trend.

I'd have to disagree on Floss and Neville though, IMO they are the weakest part of the show. I don't mind Floss, but Neville seems totally useless and doesn't really have a purpose.

Good post, and I agree about the guest characters. I really like Stacey, Phillip has worn on me and Narelle was great

I agree Narelle was great but if she had stayed around they probably wouldn't have written in Marilyn. I always thought they (the writers) kind of liked the idea of Lance dating someone like Narelle but obviously couldn't (becuase they were cousins) so they replaced her with Marilyn.

It's legal to marry your cousin, isn't it? A bit freaky, but still legal.

I think I have to agree with GameTime about Floss and Neville. I think when the show was originally perceived having the two oddball characters in the caravan park, interacting with some of the characters, but it just hasn't worked out. First off, making them retired means that they have no reason to be anywhere else, bar their caravan. Now I'm not saying old folk spend all their time in their home doing nothing. The story with their estranged son was pretty good, but what else have we had. Neville playing his bagpipes, the pair of them scaring Celia on a walk and then decorating Frank's flat, this barmy fun run business at the minute. I guess they're replaced in the credits by Morag which is a worthwhile swap.

Yeah I get what you guys mean, but I do think they have a certain presence on screen that is special. I think Floss has a greater purpose mainly becuase there just seems to be more reason for Floss to be here and there, doing the cooking, helping Pippa with the house work and thus she has a more realistic opportunity to interact with the other cast. I love how Floss sides with the kids most of the time though, espeically over Celia and Colleen and is always up for a laugh, like when she dressed up like a 'floozy' to get back at Celia for going on about Narelle. Another thing I like about the pair, is that they are both full of enthusiasm which I find adds a certain energy to the scenes they're in. But I agree with Ryan that having them retired limits where the writers can place them.

I think the problem with Floss and Neville is that they just haven't used them particularly well. I did enjoy their story with Ben and Scott(?), in fact probably more than a lot of the things that have happened since. In my personal opinion Roo is the weakest link in the cast, maybe not character-wise because I think they've written Roo pretty well, just Justine seems like the weakest actress.

Floss and Neville are both very likeable in my view, which makes them work as characters. Like Alexx says, they bring a certain positive energy to the show, I think it's just comforting to know they're 'there', sort of like grandparents you can turn to for advice.

Archived