1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

From what i've seen couldn't quite frankly see Frank turn his back on a girl like that so i was thinking he turns into a jerk at some point from being too much around Roo there will be some tension between her and Bobby over Frank i assume if they'll ever go there... that department. was quite surprised seeing Pippa and Tom in bed so early it wasn't even dark yet was it but to get everyone's attention in the 80's... The accident with Lance and Martin the handbrakejoke Carly sure is making a big deal out of it,sure the principal got hurt but there's no turning back now is there? even if he's nothing like Fisher,thought for a fosterchild she'd be a bit tougher than that, could she be a dramaqueen next to that?

Can't wait see where Martha got her good looks from now! tall dark and handsome or small and petite,not too crazy about Roo's haircut could use a little less volume!

I have actually recently discovered these episodes so I've been having a medium intensity catch-up for the last two months or so and am now just past Episode 50.So I'm kind of at the point where Bobby's just starting to look at Frank in that way and there is actually a fairly decent chemistry between them.Guess I'll have to wait another...hundred episodes or so to see whether they do make a good couple or not.

I am finding it all really interesting, I've never seen Roo before and it was mildly amusing watching her first episode and seeing how friendly she was and how well she got on with Bobby knowing it was going to go downhill fast from now on.Kind of bemoaning the fact Lynn wasn't around very long because I think she's one of these characters who does add something to a scene even if there isn't an obvious reason for her to be in it, we seem to be at the point where her storylines started drying up, we're supposedly in the middle of her losing-her-faith storyline but it just seems to be something they pay lip service to once a week or so.It's interesting, given the scene counts printed a few pages back, that since he's been living at the caravan park Lance has been having a lot of scenes on his own with the Fletchers, whereas so far when Martin has a scene on his own Lance tends to be close at hand, outside in the car or in the next room or something.(In fact I'm surprised it was only twenty scenes more, guess Martin must have a lot of solo scenes coming up...)

What a bizzare episode no. 206 was, with a brief montage covering a whole week, between Bobby getting out of hospital and her first exam.

Yes it felt a bit strange. It's not the first time that they have fast forwarded... wasn't there a "six weeks later" shown on screen earlier in the season? It worked though. I loved Bobby's interaction with Fisher again and it even got to the point where she smiled at him when he looked in on the exam. Or was it supposed to be a smirk? It looked like a smile to me.

When Roo showed up I was confused as she seemed to be worse than ever and I thought she was supposed to be a reformed character from now on... but then Tom explained it.

Ah, so Inspectors Matheson and Macklin have discovered what's going on and we got our usual does of McPhee action. I had never realised they were so completely and utterly pointless by this stage. I'd imagine if BTTB had been around in 1989 we'd have struggled to find enough stuff to make a departure feature on them, and again not many opening credited characters (but Philip does 150 episodes as a guest and Stacey 275 or so) so they're really actually quite long term characters.

Add to the fact the clip from the previous episode had nothing to do with todays episode.

Archived