1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

'Bout bloody time! I was getting so sick of seeing people trying to logically explain to Carly why it wasn't Gary. I get that they found it difficult to do anything and that Carly can be really self absorbed and dramatic but to keep telling her to her face that she was wrong- I wouldn't be suprised if she has major trust issues with them now. This is assuming it was Gary but it's looking pretty likely now.

I can't say enough how good these episodes are, the continuity especially. When someone leaves they're not magically gone forever which is pretty realistic, and whether it's weeks or months later the storylines that seem unfinished always resurface, ala Carly's attacker and Bertram (which was so touching!)

John Farnham stuff was like a bad 80s film clip- but the episode was good. :P Couldn't stop laughing whenever they called him a rockstar. Oh things have changed...

Wow by the time Brett left he was likeable! A little too cheesy but likeable.

wtf happened...

I miss Narelle already! :(

I was amused by the comment Tom made a few eps back, about the "film" where a woman pointed out her rapist, her husband killed him, only for the woman to then point out every bloke she saw as her attacker. I've seen it - it's not a film, but it is actually an episode of the 1980s version of the "Alfred Hitchcock Presents..." tv series! Nicely done, I thought!

I can't say enough how good these episodes are, the continuity especially. When someone leaves they're not magically gone forever which is pretty realistic, and whether it's weeks or months later the storylines that seem unfinished always resurface, ala Carly's attacker and Bertram (which was so touching!)

I so agree with this. I think what comes across to me is that the whole show seems very planned and organized, as if they knew during the episode that Bertrum had the car accident, that he would end up in a 'haunted house' freaking Carly out and then having a sentimental scene with Pippa about being an outcast. Obviously I dont know if they did, and they probably didn't, but the fact is as you pointed out, the writers are thinking about their characters and those they have created who live in the small sea side community and then utilizing them for all their worth - Brett getting a character driven exit is another example. And now we have Samuels back with his brother, he wasn't just a plot devise to fuel speculation about the nutter or push Stephen with his fitness training, he's become another reminder that it is a small town and we're bound to bump into familiar faces again.

We'd have just seen Episode 381 and 382, so we'd be have just witnessed the end of Dodge's destruction, take an episode or two, but still another 70 episodes to go.

Whilst, I guess this way in some ways can feel like it's certain events take a long time to reach (yet at the same time I never though that I'd ever have a whole collection of 1988 Episodes to watch), I did feel that when Five Life did there's certain things went by extremely quickly. It seemed to take ages to reach 35, full of episodes I'd seen, but then seemed to raced by after that.

However 1 or 2 is better than 0.

Just catching up on scene counts, since I'd fallen about 90 episodes behind. . Up to 127, basically Lynn's last episode as full time cast.

Pippa - 544

Frank - 542

Tom - 528

Carly - 500

Bobby - 488

Lynn - 431

Steven - 406

Ailsa - 330

Roo - 314

Lance - 312

Alf - 301

Martin - 281

Floss - 279

Celia - 267

Neville - 255

Sally - 238

Fisher - 213

Whilst they were obviously reasons for her to leave the show, she wasn't as un-used as it actually might appear. Interesting to note that Lance has appeared in 30 more scenes than Martin, despite the fact they are almost like Siamese twins.

Just catching up on scene counts, since I'd fallen about 90 episodes behind. . Up to 127, basically Lynn's last episode as full time cast.

Pippa - 544

Frank - 542

Tom - 528

Carly - 500

Bobby - 488

Lynn - 431

Steven - 406

Ailsa - 330

Roo - 314

Lance - 312

Alf - 301

Martin - 281

Floss - 279

Celia - 267

Neville - 255

Sally - 238

Fisher - 213

Whilst they were obviously reasons for her to leave the show, she wasn't as un-used as it actually might appear. Interesting to note that Lance has appeared in 30 more scenes than Martin, despite the fact they are almost like Siamese twins.

I'm not surprised Pippa has the most scenes She is after all an integural (sp?) part of Summer Bay for the first 10 years funny though i thought she and Tom have the same amount of screen time Lance and Martin as twins is just frightening :lol:

Pippa - 544

Frank - 542

Tom - 528

Carly - 500

Bobby - 488

Lynn - 431

Steven - 406

Ailsa - 330

Roo - 314

Lance - 312

Alf - 301

Martin - 281

Floss - 279

Celia - 267

Neville - 255

Sally - 238

Fisher - 213

No surprise that Floss beat Neville because Neville only ever seems to be in scenes with Floss. Whenever you see him he's hardly ever on his own.

I think Floss works better alone.

These episodes have been absolutely great, I've just had a repid catch-up. I'm so so glad that Martha's now been put up for adoption because IMO Roo is the weakest link of the current cast by a country mile and now that I've watched the stories so rapidy I've begun to realise that.

One thing I have noticed is that since the episode in which Bertram drinks coffee at the store, the community feel has started to take on a magical feel, which wasn't there in episodes before. It just feels like everyone has their place and a role in the community, and I think that's great. I have to admit I'm a little bit disappointed that the early years relied so heavily on guest cast - I know Home and Away has had a tendency to do that even in recent years, take 2007 for example, but Stacey, Phillip, and particularly Narelle are all really fantastic characters. Colleen is another gem, I loved her interaction eith Donald a few episodes back.

I also think Floss and Neville have a strong presence in the bay even when they're not doing much. They are among my favourite characters, severely underrated!

Archived