2022 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

1 hour ago, atrus said:

I feel like we've heard Gerald of the Surf Club mentioned previously - have we met him before, or is he a bit of a Madge Wilkins figure? I'm sort of expecting somebody John's age, but maybe he'll turn out to be a hot twentysomething with a live-in sibling?

He has actually been seen, but only the once - back in 2021 when John and Susie were on their surf club election campaign and rounded up the committee in Salt. He is often mentioned though.

yfa0ir.jpg

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I was pretty sure we'd seen Gerald, didn't realise it was so briefly though! It feels like Alf or John is often on the phone to him.

Alf's episode count this week:Two. Leah didn't appear at all.

Felicity wanting to learn her vows in Te Reo Maori is a nice idea, but as Nikau quickly realised, she's kind of skipped a step.I did like it when she finally cut loose and talked about how much Tane means to her:Like she said, she's grown up a lot this year.The promo basically showed us the cliffhanger, but that didn't matter so much since it kind of didn't have any bearing on the rest of the episode, for all the pointed references to how expensive the dresses are.Hindsight's a great thing but it was pretty dumb of Eden to leave them in the van overnight.I did wonder about using Gary's money to pay for the dresses but would his gift really be as big as $12,000?

Justin and John still trying to one-up each other.I found it a bit mean of Leah to refuse to be on Justin's team, but then it was very mean of Justin to throw Marilyn helping him at John, which was always going to hurt them both: I don't think Marilyn meant anything against John, I think she was just making sure the charity got their money.Result? John and Justin daring each other to make a big donation in front of a delighted Roo.

Isn't Gerald the Surf Club  accountant? He got involved, innocently,  in Susie's transferring the club accounts into her account didn't he? 

Seems none of the invisible cul-de-sac neighbours have CCTV then.  Someone must have been watching though to see her load them into the van. 

Felicity was so overthinking her vows, may have seemed an odd way for Eden to get her to relax but it worked.  She just had to say how she felt about Tane and how he's always been there for her and helped her grow into the woman she is now, skipping the bit about them 'stalking' each other of course. 

Oakey, dokey Tane and Felicity won't be going to NZ for the Wedding, but will be going on honeymoon there so s good compromise.    Not saying he couldn't give Felicity $12,000  but he is only a cop and even if he was a good saver, I don't think  she would accept that much. Have I missed something with Nik saying she'd skipped a step? 

John and Justin are acting like two little boys and need their heads knocking together. It was wrong of Justin to  tell John Marilyn had suggested he  approach  Gerald to be on his team.  Can either of them afford the  $1000  donation they've dared each other to give? 

While I had sympathy, some of Bree's behaviour was utterly bizarre.She gets an update from Cash, but then instead of reporting Jacob for trying to contact her in violation of the AVO, she chats to him like everything's normal.And her reaction to Remi might have meant something if it wasn't for the fact she's been sleeping with him:What, did she see it as just a bit of fun?(Which would kind of make Eden right about her.) Not that Remi was any smarter: Grabbing the phone off Bree like that to warn Jacob off is only going to provoke him, and what reaction did he expect for trying to stop Bree leaving?

Elsewhere, the wedding dress was actually quite fun although oddly low key, to the point that I'm half-expecting Eden and Cash to get the dresses back off screen, with it mostly serving as a plot device to force them to interact.Nikau is working a lot better as a supporting character than as a constant source of angst, acting as a confidante for Eden here and helping Felicity with her translation.Mackenzie kind of worked as well, although her part was a bit generic.Nice that Felicity at least has picked out a wedding dress, if Holmes and Watson can find it.

On 12/02/2023 at 15:33, H&Alover said:

Have I missed something with Nik saying she'd skipped a step? 

Felicity needed to actually write the wedding vows before he could translate them.

Thanks for that  Red.

Why does Jacob have to be there, more menacing in a way he is the other side of the country so we don't know what he is up to.  I can see/hear him now absolutely denying everything, he doesn't look or sound like  your archetypal wife beater does he, he's got a good job, respectable, likely well liked by his colleagues, boss.   Was a bit out there Bree getting her pants in a panic as she hadn't heard anything, only a day wasn't it? WA is the other side of the country, different time zone, the mines would be out in the bush, so I would think not near a big town/city, maybe a small place, they'd have to get a sergeant/constable to go out there, bring him back.  Good though that despite lack of any physical proof he'd been knocking her about they took her seriously.  I guess TPTB at wherever it was didn't take his phone off him as he'd claim he needed it for work, of course he'd ring Bree going against his AVO, this is Jacob where are talking about.  Why or why though did she answer it?  Remi did go into the bedroom to give her privacy to speak - or rather shout, at him, so he could hardly avoid what she was saying.  Wrong move on his part to tell Jacob to do one, he should have just taken the phone off her and put it down as now Jacob knows she has someone else and  a man at that on her side.  

I can kind of see her argument of why it looked like she was defending Jacob, she has known him since they were teenagers and the Jacob she fell for is then is not the Jacob he is now.  I'm guessing he wasn't always like that, but something must have changed during that time and I reckon it  was a gradual thing.  I don't think she saw sleeping with Remi as a 'fun' thing, maybe a comfort thing for her which made his confession he was in love with her, which I've known for a while,  threw her completely, it's far, far too soon for that in her mind.   I think she has made the right move to leave, will she go back to the motel, she needs space - again - to get her thoughts together.  Yep bad move number  three Remi, trying to stop her, it certainly scared her though he was wise enough to recognise it and let her go. It would be a big thing for him to admit that, he's always come across as the casual guy so  it's nice to see that side of him, but then I've always liked him. 

I'm guessing Felicity's dress was the one she was wafting about it though of course Tane has seen it or was that another one? Five dresses which came to £12,000!?

Big oops Eden not locking the van, but why didn't she call the cops right away once she found out Nik hadn't been behind  it.  The van was on their property so was theft unlocked van or not.  Was it an  opportunistic robbery, someone lurking about in the night, checking car/van locks and whoopee they found a treasure trove!   Eden's hypothetical questions for Cash were amusing, was she really that embarrassed to admit her error?  I'm thinking theft of wedding dresses isn't high on the Yabbie Creek priority list but she has to get them back pronto which is why she persuaded Cash to do a bit of undercover/overtime work.   Mind you there aren't that many cops in Yabbie Creek is there, just Cash, Rose and others who just drift in and out of shot. ?   They did do a good job tracking them down so fingers crossed get them back in one piece. 

I did spot the other week Cash was giving Eden 'looks' maybe regretting his decision not to get involved  and not even wanting to be friends.  She obviously is still into him but respecting his wishes.  He was in the wrong place back then but I think he's come through it now but perhaps he feels he doesn't have to right to tell her his feelings have changed as he doesn't want to muck her about or hurt her again.  Flick has picked up on how both are feeling so needs to tell them, without nagging or pushing, to open up to each other. 

That is so wonderful for Felicity to want to say her vows in Maori, that shows real commitment, big task having them written down in Te Reo Maori, then learning the words, then saying them.  I get she wants to be word perfect but I think Tane's relatives would accept a few stumbles as long as they are heartfelt.  Though not exactly best Man duties he knows how much it'll mean to Tane as he'll will be so blown away so good luck Felicity.  Cash'll be surprised too.  Nik's teasing her reminded me of when Ryder first took up Chloe and he gave that speech to Ari about looking after her but Nik had taught him something else entirely.  

I don’t find it at all believable without Jacob around Bree hasn’t got any poof because she hasn’t been abused like no bruised and she’s not really being controlled by Jacob it just comes across to me that’s she’s one in the wrong getting rid of Jacob because she’s fed up with him starting a affair off with Remi and then reporting Jacob for nothing across the other side of the world his going to deny it because technically he hasn’t harmed Bree because he isn’t there 

crap story I think that makes Bree just unlikeable 

Or am I totally wrong here I don’t know I thought it would be better than it is 

Well, I was totally wrong about how the wedding dress story played out (we actually had a guest actor, a rarity these days!) and I absolutely loved it.Cash, Eden and Rose worked well together and I liked how enthusiastic Eden was at being in on an arrest.And the moment where Rose realises she's being volunteered to pose as a bride.There's a curious reversal (again!) in that it's not long ago since Cash was encouraging Felicity to accept Tane's proposal on the grounds that he'd kill to have someone feel like that about him, and now Felicity's pointing out "You know what? You have."

I must admit I found Ziggy a bit annoying here.Instead of taking her fall and bed rest seriously, she was looking for excuses to run around town and thinking it was cute.(Also, an odd lack of trauma at being kept away from Dean last week?) That said, leaving her on her own all day rather than getting someone to keep her company was rather thoughtless.Her sudden realisation that she's stuck out there without a car seemed a bit too sudden: How have they managed until now? Of course, we quickly realise it's a set-up to Dean finding out there's a free car there to be won...

Says a lot when Dresses theft and Golf seem more engaging than a DV story...

Cash got to so some police work that didn't involve him running or "Drawing heat". That said, Eden needs to put on her dunce hat and write out 50x "I will not leave expensive wedding dresses exposed in broad daylight".

Talking of the latter, I don't blame Palmer; Freebies are great! after what Alf said.

I imagine Dean would be proficient with a 9 Iron/3 Wood but not the way intended for this contest?

Justin couldn't be more obvious with his skullduggery. 

Archived