2022 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Bree doesn't know Ziggy and Dean well enough yet to jump to the conclusion he's being controlling over her or even abusing her.  Bree is 'seeing and hearing' it from her perspective.*  A lot of people who have been through what Bree is/has can see/hear things in a completely  different way. The way Ziggy was talking to Bree about Dean  'telling' her to be more careful now she's pregnant, he isn't controlling, which we know, but Ziggy is stubborn so won't be told what to do because she doesn't want to be seen as a weak and feeble woman.  But in Bree's  ears she was being told what to do.  Clever camera work when Dean was getting riled up when he was asking Bree about Zig and we 'saw' his actions through her eyes, but he was just being  anxious, OK over anxious. Ziggy and Dean  have a volatile  relationship at times, but never come close to blows,  but both give as good as they get.   Ziggy may well  have forgotten how she got her bruise, I get bruises and have no idea how I got them, she does, as she said, work in a garage and could have got it anytime.  The offer of advice or help Bree suggested to  Ziggy went right over her head as it would.  That last conversation she heard really got her antenna twitching, I could 'hear' how she thought it sounded, even if it is mistaken.  

My intelligence didn't feel insulted, I  happen to think the writers are handling it  OK, every situation is different and I'm sure TPTB take advice from the usual advice/help groups like they do over here to make sure they are getting it right.   Does that make me unintelligent?

With absolutely no indication from Ziggy that anything is wrong should Bree have  contacted the police, well OK, Cash, to tell him of her unwarranted concerns?  Cash does know Dean and how he can be violent but certainly  not towards women.  Dean put up with Karen abusing him all those years and never laid a finger on her when he was old enough to.  He must have seen a lot of DV in Mango River so maybe would have thought it was normal to hit women, but he didn't. If that had been his dad he would have flattened him.  

* Remi says as much when she told him what she assumes about Dean and Ziggy  as we saw in the trailer. 

Quite an in depth talk Xander had with Stacey about why she felt she wanted that life style, it convinced him to give it a go.  OK not many women we actually see in the bay, but there are such phones and all this app crap which is how it's done now.   I did see Stacey and Nik having a normal chat now she has backed off wanting to date him. 

That golf fund raising thing kind of went round and round and didn't get anywhere. 

By my calculations we've got four weeks to go until the Aus finale so still quite a bit to cram in. 

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, pembie said:

I don’t like Bree I don’t have anything else to say haha 

I got Two words and one of them's "Her".?

She's killed WHAT little ounce of sympathy the audience had for her.

I think this is gonna be wallbanger week.

I know Dean didn't help himself but Bree "firing into dark" isn't something that can be handwaved.

I just think it's a ham-fisted attempt to suck established characters with enough probs of their own into a flat falling story involving two people with the combined personality of a pancake.

One plus, Cash actually *doing* his job.

1 hour ago, CaptainHulk said:

I got Two words and one of them's "Her".?

She's killed WHAT little ounce of sympathy the audience had for her.

I think this is gonna be wallbanger week.

I know Dean didn't help himself but Bree "firing into dark" isn't something that can be handwaved.

I just think it's a ham-fisted attempt to suck established characters with enough probs of their own into a flat falling story involving two people with the combined personality of a pancake.

One plus, Cash actually *doing* his job.

Insult to pancakes I think lol

I would really love it if this resulted in Dean having a lot of self-examination.Because while he's not controlling, he is aggressive and intimidating and he's actually quite proud of that fact. Even in this episode, before he found out about the accusation against him, he needed Mackenzie to restrain him from going after Remi.And of course he does his usual job of being unco-operative and looking guilty with the police.Saying that he's only violent towards men, not women, is faint praise.Before he got to know him, Justin thought Dean was the sort of person who'd harm Ava...because Dean wanted him to think that.But we'll probably be expected to think it's all Bree's fault and Dean did nothing to make her think the worst of him. (And judging by some of the comments on here, that's what people do think.) I know Dean's short of friends to put him up these days, what with Colby, Willow and even Bella gone, but is he really hard up enough that sleeping in the car's his only option? Cash did a decent job staying professional, but I wasn't keen on him pressuring Remi to break a confidence. (Which, given Cash already knows the full story from Eden, didn't seem to serve any real purpose.)

I'm not sure why Bree was convinced she was wrong about Dean just because he asked Mackenzie to keep an eye on Ziggy: Does she not think Jacob would do that in his shoes? I'd have thought Ziggy steadfastly refusing to follow the script and thank her for saving her from an imagined threat would have been a bigger wake-up call.But maybe it was the cumulative effect of all that and the growing realisation that no-one, not even Remi who's pretty much Dean's arch-enemy, actually agreed with her. I do think she has a point about Jacob fooling people: Ironically, Dean's probably the one most convinced he's a stand-up guy and wanting Remi to steer clear of them. (And of course, there's still a few viewers convinced Jacob isn't an abuser because they haven't actually seen him hit Bree, and we've seen a lot more than the characters have!)

Xander's attempt at an open relationship didn't last long, but if it's really not for him, I guess it's best he says so straightaway.

Really weird episode for Ziggy not to be in - I would've thought she'd be fairly central to bringing closure to the storyline, emotionally even if not procedurally, but apparently her reaction wasn't deemed significant enough. Glad Dean didn't hold it against Bree - yes, it proved the wrong call, but I think she made her report with the best intentions and it's just that she isn't seeing things 100% objectively right now, which is understandable. And I do agree that, even for someone who wasn't in Bree's position, Dean's aggro behaviour at the hospital could've conceivably raised some alarm bells. It's a bit surprising seeing some quite unsympathetic responses to Bree (not just here but elsewhere too) - I think it's impossible to judge without being in someone's shoes, and even if you have been in a similar situation, people respond to trauma in different ways. But in a sense, her seeing the warning signs in Ziggy and acting on them - even if they proved to be false alarms - is a good thing in the long run, as no long-term damage was done with Dean, and she proved to herself in the process that she was similarly ready to act on the red flags in her own marriage.

Theo's impression of John. :lol: I'm not minding the golf stuff - at least it's drumming up a bit of a sense of community, which is welcome. Justin is acting like a bit of a tool but that's par for the course in C-storylines. Kirby's reaction to Rose's offer to teach her the ropes in golf - "But you're a cop!" - was straight-up weird, given I don't think anybody talking about entering the tournament is a full-time professional golfer who doesn't also have a day job.

Maybe Dilman did her three eps for that segment.

I'm sorry but I'd still be pissed at Bree in that situation (If you've been accused of something you DIDN'T do, you'd sympathise,  long story short few years someone made up a malicious lie out of personal dislike and I got F-all in the way apology/reparation and that's all I'm gonna say ) wouldn't be so quick to sweep that under the carpet or roll over and forgive, small town or not. She's lucky Karen didn't show up. 

I will say in Bree's favour, she did finally find the courage to report hubby. Still actively DISLIKE her and find her voice annoying.?

Archived