2022 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was quite clever how they tied Dean and Ziggy in with Bree Even though Brees story is awfully written and I haven’t felt the threat of abuse once 

I did find rather amusing with some of Dean and Ziggys chats though to make it sound like Dean was controlling Ziggy 

Its quite hard to have a open relationship with anyone in summer bay if you think about it there’s not many single people So good luck to Xander finding dates 

Interesting developent with Bree thinking she's seen her own domestic situation in Ziggy and Dean's relationship. Dean can be a bit aggro at times (arguably contrivedly so here) and combined with the bruise, I can see why she may have put two and two together - but equally I'm not sure the evidence threshold was high enough to warrant calling the police. Then again, I've no idea what hospital protocol is for that kind of thing, so... maybe better to be safe than sorry?

Wow, that five-second chat with Irene really changed Xander's perspective on holding out for 'the one'!

2 hours ago, pembie said:

I thought it was quite clever how they tied Dean and Ziggy in with Bree Even though Brees story is awfully written and I haven’t felt the threat of abuse once 

I did find rather amusing with some of Dean and Ziggys chats though to make it sound like Dean was controlling Ziggy 

Its quite hard to have a open relationship with anyone in summer bay if you think about it there’s not many single people So good luck to Xander finding dates 

It's just feeling like "I'm getting bashed; She must be too" for the sake of it on Bree's part.

Do better, writers.

I just find my intelligence a little insulted (no doubt a load of others do too)

Bree's projecting obviously but yes. Dean can be aggressive at times, and his behaviour towards her here was triggering.After that, she was making the mistake of looking for evidence to back up her theory rather than viewing it objectively.It's easier to try and sort out someone else's supposed problem than it is to face up to the very real problem in her own life.

My first thought was that Xander was only pretending to date someone else in order to appease Stacey, so I'm quite pleased that he actually seems to be making a go of it.Mind you, his date didn't have a name or a credit, so she's probably not going to have a big part.

Alf, Marilyn and Roo keep threatening to do something and then not managing it.It's kind of ironic that the characters who appear in the most episodes seem to be the ones without storylines.

5 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Bree's projecting obviously but yes. Dean can be aggressive at times, and his behaviour towards her here was triggering.After that, she was making the mistake of looking for evidence to back up her theory rather than viewing it objectively.It's easier to try and sort out someone else's supposed problem than it is to face up to the very real problem in her own life.

It's fair to say Zigs is more of a match for Dean physically and mentally should push come to shove. If the show's main intent is to **** people off, mission accomplished. So many lives in real life have been cooked up after spotting one bruise while actual abuse is ignored/painted over, making a mockery of the whole thing. And old adage "Fasten YOUR mask before helping someone else" applies. I've heard tell of spouses needless vilified, kids removed from homes for *nothing*, etc.

5 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Alf, Marilyn and Roo keep threatening to do something and then not managing it.It's kind of ironic that the characters who appear in the most episodes seem to be the ones without storylines.

Ray's gotta get his count up somehow.? 

3 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

It's fair to say Zigs is more of a match for Dean physically and mentally should push come to shove.

Do you really think that if Dean did hit Ziggy, she'd just hit him back and that would be the end of it? I'm sure people looking from the outside would consider Bree a strong, independent, intelligent woman who wouldn't let a man push her around. Bree's on the inside and knows better. We know she's wrong because we see Dean and Ziggy on television and know what their relationship's like, but most people don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Yes, Bree's jumped to the wrong conclusion and then filtered everything she sees and hears through that perception, but she's basing it on experience and the fact that her marriage looks just as loving from a distance. And yes, the authorities can make mistakes and make a report where there's nothing going on: We saw it when Nate had Heath investigated for supposedly abusing Darcy, where Heath had the maturity to realise he was doing what he thought was right. Sometimes it's better to err on the side of caution and kickstart an investigation that ultimately finds nothing, rather than ignore apparent warning signs because you think someone's too feisty to be abused and let a toxic situation continue.

I did feel really sorry for Dean, who would obviously never harm Ziggy, although sometimes he doesn't help himself the way he stomps about and gets mad - the sensible thing in the scenario would've been to show in his body language and willingness to cooperate that the accusations were baseless, though I get that people can become defensive when taken off-guard. I would've thought normal procedure would be to interview Ziggy first and only pursue it if she made a complaint or gave them another reason to, but I guess that's why they had Dean get aggro, so they could pull him in for questioning first and prolong the storyline.

I meant to say also, I'm a bit unsure about Bree's claims that Jacob seems outwardly charming and normal to everyone he meets. Remi got an awful vibe from him pretty much immediately and as a viewer, I did too. Obviously there are many abusers who are hugely good at pulling the wool, but Jacob doesn't really strike me as one of them.

The Stacey/Xander open relationship fizzled out pretty quickly, then, but at least she hasn't turned out to be a villain I suppose which I was mostly expecting.

Archived