2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I really liked the chats between Ari and Tane today.It does feel like Tane has finally grasped where Ari's coming from all this time.It's interesting to know that Ari was equally at loggerheads with Mikaere before he died.I guess going to jail gave him a perspective on whether or not this kind of thing was worth it that his brothers lacked.Nice that Bella did the noble thing and told Nikau to go and be safe, but it feels like the show's had to go to some pretty extreme lengths to portray her as left on her own: No sooner does Colby go to jail than Willow, Ryder, Dean (more or less) and Nikau all leave town in quick succession, plus she's pushed Ziggy away.

Well, I must admit to being surprised at Irene's intervention backfiring so badly.I thought she'd be right about Jasmine regretting throwing the present away, but instead she's annoyed at not having her decision respected.For all Irene's badly-placed snorting at him, I think Christian is right that Tori's the one making this a problem.Tori seemed less interested in talking with Jasmine and more interested in talking over her with an over-rehearsed apology speech.

I'm also surprised that John's date going awry was dashed off in a couple of scenes.It would have been nice to have seen a bit more interaction between him and Bella and Nikau, who did seem genuinely sympathetic.Marilyn was probably the last person he wanted to see at that moment.

For those who avoid spoilers - I chose Willow in my top 7 before the Witness X reveal.  She is loyal and been a good friend.  There wasn't a way I could change my reason without arousing suspicion.  I think Colby pushed her too far.  I still stand by her in my top 7.  I hope that she can sort things out with Dean and Bella one day.

That was a  really good in depth talk between Ari and Tane, Ari speaking, probably for the first time, about how hard he really  found it inside.  Paul had things well thought out from the beginning.  I thought they would blackmail them by finding out Mac's car was legally still Rick's and using that against them.  They'd keep quiet if they did 'one more job'.  Btw isn't Reefton Lakes  - where Karen works/worked??  Did I miss it or  have they told Mac what is going down?  Ari had just done time when Mikaere did the bank job so didn't want to get involved and blames himself for not going with him.  Proper brotherly decision to get Nikau away, and  no Ari he didn't buy your fibs.  I'm glad they were honest with him - he's not a kid - remember.  Bella was very mature about him having to go, having him away from her but safe is better than having him near but at risk.   Where is Irene when she is needed?  

As I thought Tori was very touched by Jasmine's gift to Grace and understood why she was so keen for it to be opened before the others, more personal in a special way.  It was an unwise decision on Jas's part, she was upset and I thought she'd be happy Irene had rescued it.   Maybe give her a few days and she'll feel differently.  Perhaps Tori should have talked to Jasmine when they were alone and not in the Diner. I'm getting the feeling Tori hasn't told Christian the full story behind Grace's coming into being, if so that would explain her saying he doesn't understand why things are the way they are between her and Jasmine.   When would you tell your new fella that your child is IVF and you went behind the guys back to use his sperm?   Good to see Justin home.

That Cynthia was a right cow standing John up like that, she could at least texted him to say she had changed her mind instead of leaving him sitting there like a right plum. 

Discussion of today's episode follows:

Well, that was a pretty abrupt 180 from Jasmine regarding Irene retrieving the present, but I'm glad in a way that it wasn't an ongoing issue between them.It does of course make Tori's guilt complex and refusal to believe that Jasmine is fine even more frustrating.It is slightly amusing that Justin is now the one insisting Jasmine isn't a problem.Christian's right that Tori needs to stop living in the past, but Jasmine is always going to be around.

We haven't seen Jasmine apologise to Angelo but she does at least seem to have modified her views somewhat.We haven't seen Angelo in casual clothes much in this stint! At least Taylor admitted that even she doesn't know why she's still in town (having previously said she was only still there for the trial) and we got a bit of an explanation for why Angelo's about.It seems unfair that Taylor gets to see Colby before Bella does, although at least the promo suggests it's not too long a wait.

Alf was doing his best to be understanding of Martha but he can only take so much being stonewalled.

2 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Btw isn't Reefton Lakes  - where Karen works/worked?? 

Funnily enough someone else asked this last week in the Oz thread - Karen did tell Dean she was starting a job at the leagues club when she left Summer Bay, but it turned out she was actually checking herself back into the hospital. And no, Mac doesn't know about the latest development as yet.

2 hours ago, H&Alover said:

That Cynthia was a right cow standing John up like that, she could at least texted him to say she had changed her mind instead of leaving him sitting there like a right plum.

There's a bit of behind-the-scenes trivia about 'Cynthia' at the end of our article on the main site - https://www.backtothebay.net/news/2021/02/04/home-and-away-spoilers-john-prepares-for-a-hot-date/

Despite how it ended, this little story with Ryder helping out John and Maz with the app, together with Nik & Bella's teasing and later sympathy for John, has been one of my highlights of recent times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I knew Jasmine would be glad Irene had retrieved the bracelet once she had calmed down but that was a quick calm down, I'm taking that to mean she really has moved on.  Perhaps she and Tori need a proper talk and Jasmine may not always be around she may move away at some point.  Tori was really out of order jumping to the conclusion Christian had sought Jas out so he could get her side, it was just a coincidence he bumped into her at the Surf Club, she thought he'd done it deliberately.  Despite Leah's misgivings he decided to get Tori and Christian together and it worked.  

Nice to see Taylor and Jasmine together, they make good friends, bit eerie as I still think they look very similar.  Neat mention by Jas of Robbo's way of going for a run to get things straight in your head, I'd noticed she'd been doing that.   Taylor had been asked to stay for the trial, then Rosetta didn't use her, as he had Willow's testimony. More awkward was the chat between Rosetta and Taylor, especially seeing the refresher at the beginning.  He did have the grace to admit he was partly to blame and as she has said before their marriage was in trouble before Colby came along, she wouldn't have been so tempted by him if their marriage had been OK.   From what Rosetta said he's waiting to hear where he's posted next, is this a kind of punishment, him not being based anywhere, because of his last **** up when the wrong man went to prison? ? 

From what I could gather this visit is to see how she 'feels' about Colby. It was a blink moment not to see Rosetta in  a suit. 

Roo was pretty sharp picking up the fact Irene was acting shifty when she and Alf where talking about Martha.  Irene quite rightly wouldn't tell her what Martha had told her, apart from assuring Roo it had nothing to do with Martha's health.  Roo isn't known for keeping a confidence - her telling Ryder about Evan's condition comes to mind.  Comes to a head anyway as we saw Alf delivering Martha with an ultimatum, her coming home and telling him she had a son who had 'issues'.   Then quelle surprise a stranger comes into  the Diner and asks about the Stewarts.  Now who could that be??  

He's not been heard of or mentioned for ages but does Duncan know about Martha, she would be his step mother wouldn't she? ?  

Small niggle but why was John referred to as Marilyn's ex, they're not divorced yet are they. 

Alf's episode count this week:Three, and he was credited on Tuesday for no appearance.

It kind of looks like Taylor's only looking at Angelo again because Thorne's in jail and therefore not an option, which isn't exactly flattering. It feels like quite a few people owe Angelo a conversation, but I liked his little chat with Alf, which reminded me that Alf was one of the few people decent enough to say anything after Angelo was cleared of attacking Belle all those years ago.(Irene, as I recall, called him all the names under the sun and then quietly disappeared.)Bella finally gets to see Thorne, which probably went as well as could be expected.

Alf and Roo are finally in the know about Kieran, which is just as well considering he's just turned up.Hard to tell how old he's meant to be: He looks younger than Roo, but then that was already a given since Roo was in her early teens when Martha disappeared.I was wondering what his surname was: The end credits gave it as Baldivis (ie Martha's maiden name) but after all the confusion over Owen, I'm not sure if I entirely trust that...