2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

People I hope get storylines in 2021

Ryder- Maybe a TAFE romance or something or be worried for his own mortality and be tested for a cancer gene. 

Martha - We get she likes her independence but needs to be more of a character, if you get my drift. However,  based on rumblings that may just change...

I don't believe Ross was ever in jail: The whole point was the police weren't looking for him and Bella because he wasn't considered dangerous.I find it hilarious that Colby apologists try and make him out to be some ultra-powerful Mr Big: He was a nobody, and I don't think abusive parents are particularly popular in jail either. On the whole, the locals would probably rather have a police officer who can tick the "I have never murdered anyone" box.We did see Bella on the phone to Nikau telling him not to come.The Paratas forgave Ryder straightaway but no word on the subject from Bella, although they apparently spoke off screen (sigh...) today.

Ari really should have wasted his breath.As should everyone else, as he continued insisting Mackenzie should stay out of things despite everyone pointing out it was too late for that.Anyway, she's decided to make her own plan about how to get rid of the dealers.Might even work, although they've been shown to be not very good at keeping their words.

John gets another kick in the teeth where Marilyn's concerned, but seemed to bounce back quickly, and Irene actually stood over Marilyn and watching her delete the app this time.If the first scene between Leah and Justin was meant to be set the same night as the scenes beforehand, why was it preceded by a shot of the hospital in broad daylight? John did not seem the obvious choice to talk to Justin, but it kind of worked and it is nice to see his more serious, elder statesman "Nice John" persona at times.

I'm pretty sure Ross would have done jail time at some point, but before his kidnapping of Bella and Michelle.  I've never made Colby out to be a ultra-powerful Mr. Big, sure that  isn't your prejudice getting in the way, hardly a nobody though, he was until he killed Ross  an ordinary guy, a good local cop doing his job. 

Are we watching the same episodes, I'm sure when Ryder ran into Ari and Tane after the incident they mentioned Bella and said that she'd forgiven him. Glad we got to hear Ryder had rung Bella but she wanted to be on her own and he was ringing her tomorrow.  She may not want to see anyone but at least she knows people are concerned about her. 

John, it seemed, was chuffed at  being matched to Marilyn and he did seem take her turn down well, but you could see the disappointment on his face. Maz may have deleted the app, but John has decided to carry on. 

I thought John was the most obvious choice to speak to Justin, after all he has just been there.  Not exactly the same, but he could see things through Justin's eyes more clearly than anyone else.  John does have a sensitive side, he wasn't all gushing or patronising towards Justin, just told it as it was. Justin's outburst at Leah was the same as when John lashed out at Marilyn - and to use the old cliche - you always hurt the one you love.  Did Leah learn nothing from Marilyn's errors, her offering to open the bag with the bun may have been well meant, but as Justin in no uncertain terms pointed out, his arms still worked.  Marilyn made the same mistakes with John, John did the same with Jett and I dare say the Morgan's did the same with Mason.  It's a natural reaction to do it for them, but ask first if the person wants you to help them. John's talk did the trick though and hey looked what happened Justin got feelings back in his feet.  Of course that has triggered more drama! 

A complete offside, but is it just the men in the bay who suffer an injury/stroke that renders them paralysed for a while/life?  I don't remember any woman going through it.  Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 

Mac does like to do her own thing and the more likely Ari was telling her no the more she would be likely to do it.  She is already involved, her selling the car and paying  off Leon and Paul the more likely it is they'd all get uninvolved. Whether it's down to his heritage or he's an old fashioned guy but Ari's attitude is an outdated one. He certainly couldn't come up with a really good reason why she shouldn't.  Wasn't it mentioned the car is still legally Rick's??   I too have the feeling it's not going to be that simple.   

2 hours ago, H&Alover said:

I've never made Colby out to be a ultra-powerful Mr. Big 

Are we watching the same episodes, I'm sure when Ryder ran into Ari and Tane after the incident they mentioned Bella and said that she'd forgiven him.

Sorry, I meant people make Ross out to be some sort of ultra-powerful Mr Big when he was a nobody. Possibly should have made that clearer. And I'm sure they didn't mention Bella.Hannah was in a wheelchair at one point.Tori seemed to recover from her coma within a couple of episodes.Not sure how long Leah took.

Anyway! Justin's recovering a bit too quickly for Tori's liking, resulting in yet another clash between her and everyone else, with Leah and Christian continue to support Justin's decisions and not really agree with her anyway.Hopefully Christian's covered everything with Justin this time and won't have to drag Tori into theatre halfway through the operation to put her on the spot.

Yes, I was a bit puzzled by Tane saying the car was Rick's: Weren't we told months ago that Mackenzie had paid off all her debts to him? Well, it's not his now, and Ari did get over it pretty quickly and accept Mackenzie's done the right thing.I did notice however that Paul didn't seem to make any promises...

I believe that's the first mention of Alf having married someone else since Martha's been back, although Ailsa still doesn't get a namecheck. That was probably the most interesting thing about a C-plot that may be important later but just seemed to be a way to get some characters in the episode here.

Well, Leah did nearly die a bunch of times so that trumps anything. Some characters just seem plain indestructible. Look at Alf! A man half is age would probably have died going through half the crap he did?

Chuckled at Martha basically messing with Alf's head. "I didn't say it was  with a man"! I think Belinda had a little too much fun with the line.

2 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I believe that's the first mention of Alf having married someone else since Martha's been back, although Ailsa still doesn't get a namecheck. That was probably the most interesting thing about a C-plot that may be important later but just seemed to be a way to get some characters in the episode here.

I think so, although we’re still brushing over Alf marrying Ailsa (twice) despite knowing Martha was still alive.

Oh sorry, completely misread that.?

Leah and Tori weren't paralysed though, weak after spending so much time in bed unable to move but that's all.  One other male character that was left paralysed was  Seb, Donald's grandson. 

Not sure what the law is in Aus regarding prison visits but I doubt if Bella and Dean could just rock at up and ask to see Colby, wouldn't they have to apply for a VO?  Colby of course can refuse to allow them to.  Do they not allow family to see the convictee before they go off to prison like they do here?

While Tori is happy Justin's recovered his feeling in his feet and legs I do see her worry it's too quick for the op, apart from being his sister, she knows something could go wrong however much a skilled surgeon Christian may be. Ultimately though it was Justin's choice.

It was probably off screen that Alf told Martha about Alisa and he has had his fair share of relationships, one with Colleen's daughter which was before they found out they were half brother and sister of course.? Then there was Penn's mum, Quinn's mum, Viv Standish which was before Martha.  I must admit I didn't give a thought to Martha having had relationships.  I chuckled at her "Who said it was with a man?" come back.

Is it dated to give the paper work regarding Mac's car a thought, she just handed over the keys, surely it can't be that simple? I thought Mac 'borrowed' Rick's car, did he sign it over to her at some point? 

Ziggy didn't spend the night with Tane, she sent him on his way and he went quite happily.  Justin being wheeled into theatre scuppered her plan to tell him she was struggling at the garage, could she really not give Tane another chance?

22 hours ago, c120701 said:

I think so, although we’re still brushing over Alf marrying Ailsa (twice) despite knowing Martha was still alive.

I think it was eventually (and I do mean eventually) mentioned that he found out after he married Ailsa. The vow renewal might be another matter.

Alf's episode count this week: Five!

I was getting as fed up as Dean at the constant "How's Colby?", so him finally snapping and saying he didn't know and didn't care largely echoed my thoughts.In his case though it's probably more frustration than anything else.Didn't Willow visit Dean when he was in jail, or is the new backstory that they were estranged then, hence him turning to Amber when he got out? We got to see a bit of Ryder with Bella and Nikau, which didn't involve him being the supportive friend much but at least we got to see them both being happy for him and encouraging him to take his opportunity.Alf played a bigger role than Martha seemed to think he would as well.So, after Alf's sudden suspicions about Martha's love life yesterday, she's now hiding something from him...

Elsewhere, Justin's out of surgery and doing well but did Christian really say they removed a "substantial" amount of the tumour? Surely it doesn't matter how much they remove: If they leave some behind, sooner or later it'll grow back? Is the idea to kill the rest with radiotherapy or something? This does not seem like a permanent solution...

• Like 1

I suppose and it may be a bit picky but a  vow renewal isn't the same as remarrying.  

Oh there is a secret? but ??.

It was lovely that Bella put her cares aside and assured Ryder of course he should go off on his placement.  He, Ryder, really has matured since he arrived in the bay.  She did mention getting Colby to appeal his sentence but as Dean said against what, he admitted he murdered Ross for which he was found guilty. Was that a gentle lie he told her about none of the inmates would know he was an ex cop, well they may not at first but they soon will. Rather a petty thought but wouldn't Bella have to return Colby's uniform? ? It's a lot on Nik's shoulders but he truly loves her which some on here doubt. 

We don't really know much about Willow and Dean's history back then after the car crash, apart from that he was hospitalised for a while then imprisoned.  He has lost two life long friends so would feel lost.  He's hitting the self destruct button again which is not good for him or others round him and Bella can't call on Willow to help this time. His trying to reconnect with Ziggy isn't for the right reasons either.  

You didn't hear things Red - Christian did say 'substantial amount'.  so yes, chemo or radiotherapy maybe. Tori's apology was suitably cringy and Christian loved every moment. ?