2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

On 25 May 2018 at 13:55, H&Alover said:

D.B Mason didn't do anything really bad, just opened his mouth when he shouldn't have.

I suppose you're right, I guess it's easier for me to pick on Mason than others because he's my least favourite Morgan, I shouldn't however, because I know I should always try to be fair when it comes to judging characters. I've seen a lot of people on these forums who are pretty much biased towards some characters and totally against others, and I try not to be like that. 

19 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

So, Ash and Robbo have what was probably the closest thing they could manage to a civilised conversation.Robbo's honesty could have backfired but ultimately Ash just seemed utterly deflated.It's all right for Robbo to say they can have closure: Okay, he's lost Kat but he's ended up better off than he expected.But Ash has been robbed of someone to blame for his son's death...well, arguably the person most to blame died with him, and he could blame Robbo but what's the point when he can't do anything about it: It's basically been dismissed as collateral damage from a botched undercover operation.It seems Ash may have been serious about the town not being big enough for the two of them, but it's a rather low-key departure if he is gone for good.

Now I know you and I haven't seen eye to eye on Robbo, But I agree with you on what you said here: I prefer Robbo over Ash, but it's clear that Robbo is getting the better end of the deal here, it isn't as easy for Ash to have closure as it is for Robbo. When we're hurt, we look for someone to blame. While I didn't like Ash in the whole revenge storyline earlier this year, it was understandable why he blamed Robbo. But now, seeing that it was all for nothing, must have been really hard for him.  He's not my favourite, but I hope this isn't the last we see of him, he's such a major character, that at the very least he deserves a proper send-off. As for Robbo's "where do we go from here?" , maybe start by trying to live in the same town without trying to tear each other apart the moment they make eye contact! He may have had the best intentions, but him telling Ash  the truth didn't really helped him. 

Really enjoyed watching the cocktail party, it was nice to see Jasmine being accepted into the fold. Just as you Red, I was alarmed by Irene in the promo, because that didn't feel like the Irene we know, but I was relieved to see, just like you, it was an act. 

Olivia and Hunter- I didn't take note because I literally fail to care. 

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/05/2018 at 15:35, H&Alover said:

Had to skip atrus' & Captain Hulk's post as I haven't seen the episode yet.

Thought you were OK with knowing what's going to happen in the episode before you've actually seen it.

I'm so pleased that Robbo is one of the "good guys" and all charges against him have been dropped.  I guess he and Colby have more in common than they thought.  Have to admit, I absolutely loved the fact that his presence back in the bay really wound Ash up and there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it.  And we got to see him lose it again.  Seemed a bit childish him just up and leaving like that.

I'm glad Ava's back home safely.  I did really like the scene at the hospital where Ash gave her the teddy bear, Justin told him she was too old but Ava thanked Ash anyway.  She has such a nice smile and is such a little cutie.

As far as I'm concerned Boyd's death is a good thing!  Only a shame his mother wasn't in the car as well.  Although in saying that Ebony seems....interesting even though she didn't seem particularly sad about Boyd or sympathetic towards Hazel.  When Hazel says she's going to burn them all to the ground, what are she and Ebony going to do kill all of them?  Although I would be happy if they took Willow out as this whole mess is her fault and innocent people have been dragged into it.

I do have certain amount of sympathy for Colby.  He had a split second to make a decision and he felt he had to shot Boyd to save Dean's life.  I quite liked the way McCarthy was with him at the police station.  He seemed fairly sympathetic himself and understanding.

So Hunter went to Irene's just to deliver the good news about Ava.  Right and he didn't think about using text message or calling.  I do think given that he said he didn't want to go out with Olivia he should have at least given her some space.  It came across a slightly insensitive to me how he was acting as if nothing had happened.  And he didn't really consider how Olivia felt about that and even suggested they go for a swim.  I have to admit I did crack a smile when Hunter just happened to go into Salt tried to talk to Olivia she told him she didn't need his 'pity drink' and she was going out of her way to make it clear to Hunter that she was over him.  .

I wonder if Olivia and Marilyn figured out whether Colby was the 'unofficial' person Jasmine was seeing.  Don't really have much sympathy for her.  If she liked Colby as much as she's making out she shouldn't have slept with him so quickly.

And Leah's thinking of starting her own Vlog.  Hmmm...

Where did  you get that idea from Slade?

Did Ash really say "This town isn't big enough for the both of us"?:D Is Robbo meant to check Ash isn't around so he doesn't get accused of following him?

You're right Blaxland  Viv, Ric's grandmother was supposed to be Alf's first love.  Unless Alf was referring to the fact he'd been with Martha a long time. John does seem to be able to talk sense into Alf although for some unknown reason Alf still calls John Palmer. another character taking himself off to 'have a think'.  I did wonder if he may use it as an excuse to pop and see Martha.:unsure:

I believe Colby was suspended because the cops aren't supposed open fire at a moving vehicle. McCarthy was more sympathetic back at the station and Colby knew before it was likely to happen. Depending who saw what at the scene will decide if Colby gets his badge back.

Well after a lot of shoving by Ash in front of Alf & John who looked just as surprised to see Robbo Ash went to the flat to giver Robbo the chance to explain, though he did take a lot of persuading he was telling the truth, slightly annoyed though it kept swinging between them and the girlie night out. Ash's problems go a lot deeper than his anger at Robbo, he's lost a lot of people over the last couple of years, just reunited with Billie, then she dies, his long believed long dead  brother turns up then goes just as quickly, has brief custody of Luc, all the trouble with Mick demanding he has custody, plans to leave with her and Tori, then finds his ex is pregnant with his child so stays thus 'losing' Luc, then loses her and their baby, then breaks up with Tori, I'd say - as I have before - he's on the edge of a breakdown. His leaving may be good for him to give him time to think.

Apart from it intruding onto the Ash and Robbo talk the girlie night was quite good, dissing blokes, giving Leah an idea thanks to Jasmine, the others guessing who Jasmines' 'unofficial guy' could be, though she is getting ahead of herself there methinks. Relieved to see Leah restricted her drinking, just getting  a hangover rather than getting totally sloshed and making a fool of herself.

Was  a relief Irene's 'rant' at Jasmine was a wind up for Liv's benefit, though of course Olivia should have cleared it with Irene first but Jasmine was very quick off the mark to move in.  It also appeared to me she was jealous of their instant friendship. Yes hmm indeed Slade about Leah starting her own counselling vlog - is that alarm bells I hear faintly ringing?

I see Nina pitches up with an ultimatum regarding Willow, though if I remember correctly Justin stuck his nose into Willow's business after Ziggy and Brody found the money in the bumper of Willow's car so got himself involved.

Discussion of today's episode follows:

Oh, where to start? Well, Justin’s trying his best with Ava and Willow was actually pretty good with her and really didn’t deserve being on the receiving end of her “I want my mum!” tantrum. I loved Raffy playing the young auntie with her and, while we didn’t get an apology for her from Justin, they do at least seem to have put it behind them and be getting on well. And we finally get talk of her moving back in, although it seems dependant on Ava moving out and Marilyn seems determined to keep her claws in her. (It’s this aspect of Marilyn, treating other people’s children like dolls for her to play with, that I really dislike.) As for Nina…well, she’s overreacting but I’m trying my best to be objective because sadly she does have a point about Justin’s life being one drama after another, and I guess she does have to balance what Ava wants with what Ava needs, although it seems rather harsh to separate them completely. And even more than on Thursday, why is everyone acting like the drama’s over when Ava’s kidnapper’s still out there? Are the police even looking for Hazel?

If Robbo was expecting a triumphant homecoming, then dream on. As with the vagueness about how Ava ended up with Hazel, it feels like the show thinks that giving us a couple of explanations means we’ll forget about all the dangling plot threads that have just been abandoned. It continues to be unclear whether Robbo has all his memory back or just remembers a few things or only knows things about his past because Lance has told him. Certainly the show doesn’t seem to have any interest in exploring who Ryan Shaw was, treating him as a plot device to get Robbo off the hook and allow him to carry on hanging around Summer Bay when he’s got no real reason to be there except he wants to be in Home and Away. Another dent in the “Only self-defence” argument as he manhandles John not because he’s a threat but just because he was annoying him. He really should have been prepared for the mistrust, and so should the feds frankly rather than just abandoning him again. Tori was whiney and annoying once again, continuing to think she’s more important than she is, and amusingly, after months as Robbo’s cheerleader, she throws a tantrum at him for driving Ash away. Her low opinion of Ash surfaces again as she thinks there must be something wrong with him if he’s not beating Robbo up.

It kind of feels like Jasmine has abruptly transferred her vaguely mother/daughter relationship with Leah to Irene given the way she blew her out here. (But then, that seems to be a trait of hers…) Roo’s attempt at an intervention wasn’t entirely successful.

Yes, Tori was annoying today. She's spent weeks practically single-handedly engineering the elongation of Robbo's tenure in the Bay - and now he's back of his own accord she's shrieking at him for it, just because Ash has decided to stomp off in a huff? She has wilfully done whatever is most likely to inflame Ash at pretty much every juncture over the last few weeks, even when they were ostensibly still a couple - and so is far more to blame for the situation than Robbo is. That said, all Robbo's talk about owing the Bay denizens an explanation just seems to have gone out of the window given his attitude towards John's questioning. I know it's not really any of John's business, but Robbo's made such a big deal of wanting to put things right that I wasn't clear why he wasn't prepared to say to John what he's already said to Ash and Tori. There's no particular reason he needs to keep his past a secret now, and being such a gossip, John would probably do the work of passing the story on to the entire town without Robbo having to bother.

No surprise Nina went off at the deep end - that's practically all she exists for anyway; and to be honest, I think a lot of mothers would be inclined to do the same after Justin's run of bad luck/management with Ava in Summer Bay. I hope for Justin's sake that she reconsiders, though. It feels like it's going to come down to Justin having to choose between Willow and his daughter, and it's difficult to imagine Willow coming off well in that ultimatum.

The Leah Patterson Support Group was a bit OTT; and we had yet more of the incessant back-and-forth over Raffy's living arrangements. It felt like Marilyn and John were half-thinking of trying to reverse her decision to move home at the end there, but we'll see how it pans out.

Archived