2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

18 hours ago, harrietjames said:

I just presumed the abandoned car was Robbo's, parked there pre-amnesia, and when the photo was found, that confirmed it.

We were told at the time that the car had only been there three months, after Robbo came to Summer Bay, so if that's right then he can't have parked it there pre-amnesia.Unless he parked it there about a year earlier prior to going undercover, we're left with him carrying the photo around while posing as Beckett Reid, which would be akin to carrying a badge saying "I'm an undercover cop".It also seems rather convoluted, if no more convoluted than anything else in this explanation, for him to park the car there, leave and have to take a boat back to where he left the car: Why not just approach Kat and explain what's going on when he first went there?

1 hour ago, H&Alover said:

Novak was still around when Carter and his cronies got sent down.

Novak died in Episode 6782, the trial was in Episode 6791, nearly two weeks later.Carter didn't get sent down, he's missing presumed dead.

1 hour ago, H&Alover said:

Maybe TPTB thought we'd had enough tension with the Ryan/Robbo situation (and had he done his three days)

He hasn't appeared at all this week!

I ended up not particularly liking Justin here, as he blames everyone from Raffy to Colby to Willow while ignoring the fact that he screwed up as much as anyone.He was quite clearly out of his depth:Ava wasn't there (which seemed to be what his largely non-existent plan hinged on), Hazel wasn't going to take him to her without the money that he didn't have, and while the police scaring her while completely failing to secure the area and thinking they can achieve something by running after her car shouting "Stop" certainly didn't help, she was about to drive off anyway.You'd hope that if the police had more notice they'd set up better surveillance than a couple of cops hiding in the bushes with camera phones, although at least they had the sense not to charge in sirens blaring.Justin was completely out of line laying the blame on Raffy when the much-more-streetwise Willow knew he was making the wrong call as well, and I was disappointed that Mason joined in, although at least he apologised.I imagine Hazel's past caring about leaving clues behind by this point: Justin's seen her, she's got the phone call, presumably from Boyd, telling her to clear out and they must have guessed Willow would be able to identify her.(Maybe someone even saw her going to the station.)

Although it was a bit vague, it seemed like Coco messing up an assignment wasn't really the priority: As she said, she could make the marks up, but she's obviously struggling and needed a break before old troubles came back.And Ryder was right, she's been complaining about how no-one understands so it might do her good to meet some people that actually do understand.I hope though that atrus is wrong and we actually see Coco at this camp rather than her coming back next week and saying it was great.Liked Ziggy teasing Maggie about her loss of feeling and mutant powers.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things I forgot to say yesterday: 

Tori's line "I hate this plan"- well, now you know what Justin felt with the Robbo situation, now don't you, Tori? Raffy is probably right, it is very dangerous, especially since they don't have all the money, but she still shouldn't have lost it at Justin, he's doing it because he wants Ava back, this seems to him like their best chance, he has no time for Raffy's outbursts. 

I loved John being a best friend to Alf. Also loved when Ryder came over to Ben,Coco and Maggie and Maggie and Coco give him a smile while Ben just gave him a warning nod like "You hurt my daughter and you're looking  at a punch to the face." Hilarious! ?

I found Ziggy's encouragement to Maggie so heart-warming, she has so matured over the past year. 

Well, the meeting went exactly how I expected- terribly wrong. I found both the police's actions and Justin's actions both very stupid (more stupid than normal!?) but however, I can understand in each case: Justin's worries for Ava are genuine, there's no wonder that he's not thinking straight and not acting rationally, he's just taking any chances he can to get her back,and the cops should have brought in more officers, but at the same time, there probably wasn't any choice: they just got Raffy's information, they felt like they had to act fast with what they had, but I'm with Red,  they should have had more control than just Colby and Murray, even if they were pressed for time. I guess they had no choice? Justin should have goen to them in the first place, so they could have came up with a plan, but he had worries and doubts and it overcame him. 

I didn't like Justin and Mason shouting at Raffy, but it was understandable, Justin feels like now he has no chance to getting Ava back now, of course he's going to lose it. Though I did appreciate Mason apologizing later, at the least, but not before acting badly, like he always does. I did like that Willow was acting like the smarter one here and calming Justin down, I really liked in these past two episodes that Ryder and Willow, who both started out as immature and wild characters, and now they have really settled down as mature and good people. It's really bad news that Boyd is the one with Hazel in this, I hated him because he really was a scumbag and coward, but I need to know how the hell did he get out of prison?! 

Really like the Maggie and Ziggy scenes in this All their dialogue is so great, it really is the shining part of the show today. I agree with you Red, Coco is not struggling academically, she's struggling emotionally and she needs help fast before she falls back to her problems from before.

Still waiting for Robbo! 

Thanks for the correction there Red, do tend to get my dates in  a muddle. We saw a lot of Robbo/Ryan last week.  I think even Yabby Creek police and the council would have done something about a car being left there a whole year. When Justin questioned Alf about it he said the police had put a trace out for its owner, I remarked at the time even though I knew Justin was a mechanic so knew all about cars, it looked like he got it started first time with no problem, so no flat battery.

Before I forget - the ransom note - the question was raised several times, the last time by Willow, and I quote 'Who's it from?' DUH it's a ransom note which by their very nature are anonymous, what did they expect for it to be signed off Best regards, insert name, xxxx:rolleyes:

It could be argued for hours if Raffy did the right thing by going to the cops if, and always a big if, when things had worked out, Colby and Murray may have been able to follow Hazel to wherever it was she had been hiding Ava. I do remember Colby asking Murray where back up was. It didn't go to plan, but better just two cops sneaking up on her than the whole station. Justin knew full well he didn't have the whole lot, but he couldn't call them and explain, he had to wait until he saw them or her as it turned out face to face.  He did do what you should always do, get proof of life

Raffy likes to be treated as a grown up and the Morgan's do tend to treat her like a child but she is only 15 and seeing it through a 15 year olds eyes. Seems like she also snuck in a talk to John after calling at the cop shop and obviously told him more than she told Marilyn.

I hope when Justin cools down, he'll see it from her side.  Willow got it so right Mason is a terrible liar, he blabbed the Morgan's secret to Lara.  Certainly a shock for Willow when she realised who it was had Ava, you know I'd completely forgotten about Boyd, Willow did say he was the brawn and she was the brains.  Hazel could have reasoned out the cops would be round as they had her number plates.  It certainly ruled out my theory that it was the people behind Bella's kidnapping as it was only recently Willow got involved with them and Colby didn't recognise Hazel.

The Astoni's are still proving what a good family unit they are.  I could understand Roo's not wanting to lay any more problems on them but wisely took Leah's advice to give them the heads up now before it escalated. It's Coco's struggling emotionally that is affecting her school work, she  said she could make up the marks later but then that would be added pressure, I'm glad she opened up to Ben.  With the best will in the world no way could her friends even Raffy and Ryder understand exactly what she is going through.  True she has Ziggy to talk to, a lot of kids don't have brothers/sisters to offload on, but being with kids her age who have been there and are in the same position will make her less alone. I know she felt she was being rail roaded but she saw their reason behind it in the end. Ben did say the principal had OK'd it so perhaps she'll be given some assignments to do while she's there and Ben & Ziggy keep her updated on Maggie. It'll be  a load of Maggie's mind too. Talking of whom as not unexpectedly she's started to lose her hair which is one of the main side effects of chemo and she's had such a high dosage has happened more quickly than it usually would.

Me too D.B - come back Robbo!

Meant to say yesterday that I'm assuming the police called John to pick up Raffy from the station, which would explain him suddenly being clued in.Also meant to say yesterday that I was disappointed in Mason because he's usually the one most in tune with Raffy (and her with him), eg realising she needed to stay with them when Marilyn was trying to drag her away, so I'd have thought that if anyone was going to understand why she did what she did it'd be him.

Anyway, today.It was frustrating that Willow, who was one of the most disapproving of Justin going off to meet a kidnapper without telling the police, decided to do the same herself today and that the Morgans seemed happy to let her, although I suspect there was a bit of guilt involved and Willow was willing to not make it out if it kept Ava safe.(As it is, Ava only really ended up safe because of the back-up.)Ironic that it takes Dean to tell them that they're all being stupid, despite his being typically contemptuous of the police in general and Colby in particular.Given that they seemed close enough to see what was going on, Colby and the guy with him somehow didn't make it to the scene any faster than Murray and the others.It was interesting that Boyd seemed a lot more submissive and even childlike around Hazel than when dealing with Willow and others.I've no idea what Colby was playing at at the end:Shooting Boyd when he was already aiming the car at Dean seemed almost guaranteed to make him keep going, there was no time for him to stop even if he'd taken his foot off the accelerator.Maybe he was hoping that it would cause him to swerve or slow down, although it looked like he could just as easily have pulled Dean out of the way.I also had to roll my eyes at the way Justin was carefully shunted off screen towards the end of the episode, having used up his three episodes this week, so I guess we're going to have to wait until next week for any follow-up there...

Maggie losing a few strands of hair turned out to be pretty minor, and really didn't warrant Irene and Marilyn turning up with a head scarf for her just to make her feel as self-conscious about it as possible.Didn't they pull the whole Local Cancer Victims Support Group thing on Maddy a few years back?

Razabaza - wouldn't you be in a state if that was your child? Be criticism if he acted all calm and collected.

What is it with the Morgan's, apart from Mason and Raffy all the others have been involved in a nefarious activity of some sort and all been shouted at by the others! 

Anyway back to the kidnapping, all was going well until the end when Boyd snatched Willow and Dean leapt out of nowhere to tackle him, Patrick O'Connor does have the most amazing eyes btw, throwing them all off guard.  Everyone was shouting at Boyd to stop and Colby was shouting at Dean to move, either he didn't hear him or if he did was in no state to obey.  I didn't think he was that close to grab Dean out of the way, it can look deceptive depending on the shots we see on the screen, from one angle they are just an arms reach away another it looks further. Different circumstances but again Dean has been hurt in a car accident caused by Colby, I was of the thinking Colby hoped Boyd would swerve which he did but the wrong way. It was different this time, although Willow was going 'alone' to make the drop this time the police were going to be there. Dean was scathing towards Colby but only as a River Boy would be not as someone who knew Colby. Going off on a tandem, Dean made a big show of getting the River Boys to help look for Ava, did they make any progress? Who would have thought Dean & Justin would agree on anything, but as they both care for Willow their arguments could be put to one side. I think Willow did say Ma Baker - sorry Hazel - was the strong one and it showed the way she was belittling him in front of Ava so it would follow he'd bully others who appear weaker than him, though Willow isn't that weak, but her dad was another matter.

Justin did behave himself at the hand over and waited until Ava reached them. Ava did seem more herself at that shed, more mouthy, I would like to find out how Hazel persuaded her to get in her car,  Nina would have drummed it in to her not to go off with strangers, or even people who aren't strangers for that matter! Justin and the rest of the family haven't let her out of their sight. Justin at last got hold of Nina who must be going spare, but he has now got good news for her. Colby of course is in trouble with McCarthy for misuse of a fire arm.

Dare I say it if Ryan had been there as an ordinary resident of the bay he'd have been out there helping to find Ava.  Btw D.B he's back tonight - sorry you non Ryan fans!

May be premature for Irene and Marilyn to rock up for Maggie, but like Coco who has gone off the camp/support group she needs it too from people who have been there as much as Ben and Ziggy love her they won't know about the mood swings, not feeling hungry/feeling hungry, the natural anger, feeling sorry for yourself and that it's OK to be like that. Maggie may decide what the hell and shave her hair all off sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Razabaza - wouldn't you be in a state if that was your child? Be criticism if he acted all calm and collected.

What is it with the Morgan's, apart from Mason and Raffy all the others have been involved in a nefarious activity of some sort and all been shouted at by the others! 

Dare I say it if Ryan had been there as an ordinary resident of the bay he'd have been out there helping to find Ava.  Btw D.B he's back tonight - sorry you non Ryan fans!

I agree with you, the way Justin's been acting is, in my opinion, normal and understandable. Of course he going to be in a state and not acting rationally, most fathers would be like that. 

Mason was shouted at by the others before, when he very stupidly told his girlfriend, who was working with the syndicate, that they were under witness protection.

I 100% agree, if Ryan/Robbo was here, he'd probably be doing more than anyone, except Justin and Willow, to get her back. As for the news of him returning tonight- Thank you! I'm so happy about this. ? It will be interesting to see Ash's reaction, especially since Robbo has now all the answers.

4 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Anyway back to the kidnapping, all was going well until the end when Boyd snatched Willow and Dean leapt out of nowhere to tackle him, Patrick O'Connor does have the most amazing eyes btw, throwing them all off guard.  Everyone was shouting at Boyd to stop and Colby was shouting at Dean to move, either he didn't hear him or if he did was in no state to obey.  I didn't think he was that close to grab Dean out of the way, it can look deceptive depending on the shots we see on the screen, from one angle they are just an arms reach away another it looks further. Different circumstances but again Dean has been hurt in a car accident caused by Colby, I was of the thinking Colby hoped Boyd would swerve which he did but the wrong way. It was different this time, although Willow was going 'alone' to make the drop this time the police were going to be there. Dean was scathing towards Colby but only as a River Boy would be not as someone who knew Colby. Going off on a tandem, Dean made a big show of getting the River Boys to help look for Ava, did they make any progress? Who would have thought Dean & Justin would agree on anything, but as they both care for Willow their arguments could be put to one side. I think Willow did say Ma Baker - sorry Hazel - was the strong one and it showed the way she was belittling him in front of Ava so it would follow he'd bully others who appear weaker than him, though Willow isn't that weak, but her dad was another matter.

Justin did behave himself at the hand over and waited until Ava reached them. Ava did seem more herself at that shed, more mouthy, I would like to find out how Hazel persuaded her to get in her car,  Nina would have drummed it in to her not to go off with strangers, or even people who aren't strangers for that matter! Justin and the rest of the family haven't let her out of their sight. Justin at last got hold of Nina who must be going spare, but he has now got good news for her. Colby of course is in trouble with McCarthy for misuse of a fire arm.

May be premature for Irene and Marilyn to rock up for Maggie, but like Coco who has gone off the camp/support group she needs it too from people who have been there as much as Ben and Ziggy love her they won't know about the mood swings, not feeling hungry/feeling hungry, the natural anger, feeling sorry for yourself and that it's OK to be like that. Maggie may decide what the hell and shave her hair all off sooner rather than later.

I have sympathy for Justin and if it were me I'd be very worried too, but I guess I've just always found the tone of his voice, in general, to be annoying, so when he gets angry and starts screaming it irritates me.

Oh, where to start? Well, Boyd's out of the way after a couple of episodes, but sadly it seems his return was just a plot device to bring in the next set of villains.I'm extremely puzzled by the police's attitude here, they seem more concerned with Colby firing off his gun than with the initial crime.They know Hazel was behind the kidnapping (still no explanation as to how she got hold of Ava, by the way, and it's increasingly looking like we're not going to get one), yet instead of looking for her, we have the absurd scene of McCarthy answering Boyd's phone, chatting to her like he would to any relative of an accident casualty and then shrugging his shoulders when she hangs up.Is he going to make a note of the number and track the phone, or would that be too competent?Some people never learn: Hazel's obsession with revenge got Boyd killed, yet she's just jumping straight back in there.Curiously, while Hazel dominated Boyd, Ebony seemed to dominate her, and seemed very cold about Boyd's death, almost as though she was just saying what she needed to to get Hazel on board and is just looking for an excuse to mess with someone.So how long is Colby meant to have been in the police force then?Presumably at least a few years if he's a senior constable, so you'd expect him to have confronted the reality of joining for less-than-selfless reasons in the past.Jasmine annoyed me again, she's acting like a clingy one-night stand who can't see that she's not the centre of Colby's universe.

Talking of which, after having spent the last few weeks looking for any excuse to hang around Hunter, it was nice to see the positions reversed as Olivia gets fed up with him hanging around acting like the perfect boyfriend when that's not what he is anymore.Hopefully she will move on this time.I still find the idea of her being allowed to just go back to running her website after quitting the Find a bit bizarre but okay, guess we have to run with it.

And...Robbo's back, which looks like it's going to have a few people turning cartwheels, but the dismissive "Charges have been dropped, it was in the line of duty" feels like at best getting off on a technicality and at worst like the feds covering up for one of their own.It's interesting to contrast the strict by-the-book treatment of Colby justifiably shooting someone in defence of the public with the feds overriding the legal process after Robbo premeditatedly kills someone without even attempting to bring them to justice and then injures several members of the public, directly and indirectly, while fleeing legal custody.Obviously, one rule for some people and one rule for others.It feels like we're meant to just think that Robbo shouldn't go to jail because he's lovely, and I almost do, but it still feels like another whitewash of the kind the show is a bit too fond of employing when they suddenly decide to make a guest antagonist into a regular.Meanwhile, Ash is back in affable mode, buying toys for Ava and acting as a support to Justin and Dean, just in time for Robbo to lob yet another hand grenade into whatever peace he's managed to find.

Also, apologies to the show, they broke the three episode barrier and let us have some follow-up on Justin and Ava when it was needed rather than waiting!

Archived