2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 08/05/2018 at 07:47, CaptainHulk said:

No offence but Martha Sr. looks like she DID drown in 1985 and they brought her back to life! 

:D:D

It was frustrating seeing Robbo sabotage virtually every attempt his lawyer was making to get him off.

I really didn't like the way Olivia was acting as though Hunter was already hers during Ziggy's birthday party.  So the next day when she was all happy with Irene and Leah and then she told Hunter that she wanted him back (thinking it was all in the bag) I was absolutely cheering when he said 'no' and even more so when he told her he didn't need her anymore.  Her reaction of disbelief was wonderful.

I agree with the previous comments that it was quite rude and poor form for Jasmine to bail on going with Mason to Ziggy's party.  I've mentioned before that with regards to relationships, I genuinely believe in not being friends with someone you fancy but I also don't believe it's a good idea to date someone you work with.  And I did think Mason asking Jasmine out on a date was potentially asking for trouble, especially given the circumstances he left his post previously - Although I accept he's only just gotten over Beth and hasn't really had many opportunities to meet new people.  Not that it matters now because Jasmine likes Colby anyway.  I suspected they were being set up by the way they were with each other when Lea got her to report her stalking.  Whilst I think you can argue like Mason it may not be the best idea, I don't think Colby should worry too much about the ethics of dating her given how his predecessor dated a convicted criminal and despite being on a three month ban and McCarthy was OK with it eventually.

Even though I don't particularly like Dean I did kind of enjoy him having a go at Tori.

So Maggie isn't cured just yet.  Will be interesting to see what happens with the stem cell treatment.

It's not the first time Liv has acted territorial over Hunte. That time she basically wiggled her bum as she nestled in between Hunter and Skye on the couch a few years back when Skye was temporarily staying there ?

I get the feeling Colby is going to wind up doing a Jack Holden on somebody (killing someone in a firefight) if he hasn't already.

On 11/5/2018 at 14:20, H&Alover said:

That 'excuse' about he couldn't get involved as he investigated her case I didn't buy for one moment, that's finished now so absolutely no reason why he can't date her. 

I forgot to mention last week: Back in the day, Charlie got investigated for dating Joey for the same reason.

On 12/5/2018 at 23:25, D.B said:

Well, feeling responsibility in private is better than not feeling it at all.

Now, I understand Ash not giving positive statements about Robbo but what Dean is basically telling him to do is lie, he could pretty much say anything while on the stand and Kurt would have a hard time getting past it. I don't know, at the start my sympathy was mainly for Ash, but the way he's been acting out for months now, I've pretty much switch for Robbo, who's being more likeable, and more remorseful for what happened.

I really don't seem anything creditable about knowing you're guilty but pleading not guilty anyway.(Of course, if Robbo was really remorseful, then he'd plead guilty, go to jail and wouldn't be on the show!)As for Ash, I guess we'll have to wait and see if he lies.Personally I don't think he needs to: Putting his own slant on the truth would be enough to show Robbo in a bad light.I'm not as convinced as Kurt is that it's obvious to him that what he saw proves the "It's okay because Kat told me to do it" argument anyway.(Presumably, the prosecution's response would be "Would you jump off a cliff if Kat told you to?")

On the subject of which, I'm increasingly uncomfortable with the show once more trying to convince us that because Robbo looks sad a lot and has big soulful eyes and didn't kill anyone that anyone actually liked (or if he did, we don't know their names) that it's okay for him to get away with his crimes.I mean, at least Robbo has been sympathetic from the start, so it's not like when they bring a character in as a villain and then expect us to like them and be okay with them getting away with everything five minutes later (*cough*Hunter*), but it feels like what he's done, up to and including murder, is just too bad for it to be brushed under the carpet, even if Saint Tori thinks it is.(How did his one other psychiatric session that was apparently essential to him getting bail go, by the way?)Dean came across as more sinister than usual here with his implied threat to Ava, even if Willow's probably right that he was just doing it to wind up Justin.

Meanwhile, the Martha storyline...is kind of going nowhere fast really, as we still haven't had a proper scene between her and Alf, although the promo suggests maybe next time? And Roo apparently feels she has all the answers she needs and has settled into playing happy families. The Astoni storyline continues to be a highlight, with Ziggy continuing to grow in maturity, recognising Ben's up to something, reassuring Coco and immediately stepping forward to help Maggie...much to her disappointment, you feel. I'm glad that keeping it from the girls wasn't dragged out too long.I can understand Maggie not wanting Ziggy to be hurt for her sake, but losing her mother would hurt her too, and in a way that'd be easier for Maggie since she wouldn't be there to see it.Ben again came out with a lot of credit, handling Coco well when they're stuck on the sidelines together.

32 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

.I really don't seem anything creditable about knowing you're guilty but pleading not guilty anyway.(Of course, if Robbo was really remorseful, then he'd plead guilty, go to jail and wouldn't be on the show!)As for Ash, I guess we'll have to wait and see if he lies.Personally I don't think he needs to: Putting his own slant on the truth would be enough to show Robbo in a bad light.I'm not as convinced as Kurt is that it's obvious to him that what he saw proves the "It's okay because Kat told me to do it" argument anyway.(Presumably, the prosecution's response would be "Would you jump off a cliff if Kat told you to?")

On the subject of which, I'm increasingly uncomfortable with the show once more trying to convince us that because Robbo looks sad a lot and has big soulful eyes and didn't kill anyone that anyone actually liked (or if he did, we don't know their names) that it's okay for him to get away with his crimes.I mean, at least Robbo has been sympathetic from the start, so it's not like when they bring a character in as a villain and then expect us to like them and be okay with them getting away with everything five minutes later (*cough*Hunter*), but it feels like what he's done, up to and including murder, is just too bad for it to be brushed under the carpet, even if Saint Tori thinks it is.

You do make a good point, but what, as Atrus mentioned earlier in this discussion, the one we know he killed, Novak, wasn't innocent either: he was a cold-hearted killer who would have definitely gone after Kat and Robbo again of he was allowed to roam. No, Robbo shouldn't have killed him or covered it up, but in the circumstances, he probably didn't have any time to think of any other solutions and Novak did instigated the fight which really makes it look like self-defence, but since it's Home and Away, things aren't always as they seem, so maybe you're right and it could have been murder but it looks more like self-defence or an accident. I may be biased towards Robbo, but that's just the way I see it.

Also, Robbo did give himself up to the police before but, as we all know, Kat intervened. Then Robbo was planning to turn himself in again and would have, if Ash hadn't intervened. Robbo feels remorse for Kat, the baby, his family and Ash. He was so broken that he pretty much invited Ash to kill him. He still wanted to pay for what he did, but I think, as you put it, "Saint Tori", began putting ideas into his head and lead us to where we are now. But I will agree with you on three things: First, Robbo should still pay for his crimes when he was Beckett Reid, whether he remembered them or not. Secondly, though he's still not my favourite character, I enjoy seeing Ash going on the right track again after doing so much wrong. I do feel sorry for him, he lost so much as well and it does feel like at sometimes Tori is just acting unfair to him, but I do feel he could have acted better sometimes. Thirdly I agree with you that I hate that certain characters like Andy or Hunter or Angelo or Hugo getting away with everything with little to no repercussions whatsoever, it's all just ridiculous and wrong.

As for the rest, 

While I think the Martha storyline is going slowly, I am still interested in seeing where it is going. I do feel for Roo, she's dealing with so much and I feel like she's just trying to salvage some sort of resemblance of family with her parents. 

I agree with you Red,  the Astoni family are still the highlights, I have come from hating them when they first came on to sympathizing with  them the most now. Them being together as a family, whether it's Maggie refusing to sacrifice Ziggy, or Ben being there for Coco or Ziggy wanting to help her mom, is just so lovely.

As for Dean, Justin and Willow... I sense trouble ahead, but while he came across as creepy, I don't think Dean would actually hurt Ava, I don't think he's that dark or reckless... at least yet.

Difficult to blame Alf for being flamin' furious that Martha was a no-show, again - especially as he doesn't know about her mental health problems yet. I still feel like this storyline's being dragged out at an unnaturally slow pace, with so much we still don't know about Martha, her original disappearance, and her life since then. I'm expecting at least one half-sibling for Roo (and possibly a child for Alf) to crawl out of the woodwork at some point as a result of all this and imagine that's ultimately the reason they're doing it - but for now I'd just like Martha herself to be fleshed out.

I don't think Dean would ever intend any harm to Ava - he was just being a cocky little so-and-so - but his goading certainly had the desired effect on Justin. Willow and Justin getting amorous over her 'trash-talking' Dean later made me chuckle. No idea who's watching them; between Justin's witness protection days and Willow's River Boy and biker thug connections, they have a list of criminal enemies as long as my arm - so take your pick.

I don’t really understand why Martha No showed on Alf tonight. Why agree just to not go anyway? I really don’t think I’m liking her or her feeble excuses.

i also don’t think Dean would hurt Ava but given the shadow in the bushes at the end of the episode we’re going to be made to believe he would. I don’t think it was him looking on at them on the Salt balcony. So who was it i wonder??

Thought Ziggy agreeing to be tested for the stem cell treatment was well played out. I’ve said a few times now the Astoni Family unit has really grown on me since this cancer story began and I enjoy their airtime now. I hope she is compatable because Maggie needs no more bad news! 

The way I see the Novak sitch was a "Him or Me" deal. Novak would still be circling now if Robbo didn't Ice him.

Dean's words are gonna come back to bite him in the arse if anything should happen...

"Maybe she SHOULDA flamin' drowned!" is probably what's going through Alf's mind. I kind of worked out Martha wouldn't show. As for having a secret child, I'm kind of over those type of storylines for the minute.

Was willing Justin to smack Dean.  It felt to me as though he made an indirect threat towards his daughter - Witness intimidation!

I was actually glad Ziggy told Coco not everything was about her when discussing Maggie's treatment.  Coco storming off was completely expected.  I really liked her at first and why I wouldn't necessarily say I dislike her now, I find her for the most part to be pretty self-absorbed which barring Raffy seems pretty synonymous with most of the female characters under the age of 35.

Dare I say it Ben is almost likeable at the moment.  Even the way he was when Ryder tried to give Coco a goodbye kiss at Ziggy's birthday party last week.  Although I can't help but think all it takes is one outburst and it would probably change my opinion of him again.

I did find it funny how Alf just walked off when he saw Martha and Roo and didn't want to talk to her at first.  I do understand from his perspective with his stubbornness why he wouldn't want to speak to her and also why should he given how she just disappeared but I did think he was right to change his mind.  Shame she was a no show for the dinner.  I remembered where I saw the actress from...Sons and Daughters - Alison.  Just the sort of character I like, lying scheming, manipulating etc.

Of course Roo would like to see her mum and dad make some sort of reconciliation even if they agree too much water has gone under the bridge for them to get any closer. I felt quite sorry for Alf when Martha was a no-show, I think maybe in a way he was hoping at least they could talk.  Without giving anything away to Martha she did suggest that Alf would be more understanding than she thought about her mental problems, referring of  course to his PTSD which he didn't 'know' he had from his time in Vietnam.  Once diagnosed he had trouble acknowledging it but eventually did so in effect they both have gone through similar experiences mental health wise.  We saw her turn up tonight so perhaps they will both tell the other about their problems.  It will clear the air at least. As for secret children it'd have to be on Martha's side Alf's got enough already!

Although he was told it was unlikely he would be compatible, good that Ben volunteered anyway. Maggie was still determined not to involve Ziggy but as Ben pointed out it wasn't just about her it was how it would effect all of them.  Maggie freaked herself out by consulting Dr. Google and taking in the negatives about the side effects for donors rather than the positives. Yes Google is great in one way but it is general not specific  to one person. Trying to track down a suitable donor could, as Tori said, take months and in that time she's going to get worse and wasting valuable time. Girls (can I still call Ziggy a girl?) weren't silly and not surprisingly they didn't totally believe Ben's story of tests just to be safe. No shock that Ziggy said yes straight away, though of course as I said before it's not going to be that straight forward.  Ziggy may have some/all of the side effects or hardly any who knows. Coco did have a strop that she wasn't old enough but I liked how Ben talked to her and they made their pact to support Ziggy and Maggie.  Coco said she wanted to repay Maggie (and Ben) for all she had put them through with her bulimia, but actually Ziggy had put them through a whole lot more.

Uh ooh a figure lurking in the bushes spying on Justin, Willow and Ava!:o:ph34r: Just because it came after Dean 'warned' Ava about getting hurt doesn't follow it was him. Like has already been said I think he was having a dig at Justin over his ranting at Willow for leaving Ava alone with sharp knives. He, to me at least, doesn't seem the type to hurt children, Willow is of that thought too so unless he has changed dramatically I'm not convinced it was him. More likely TPTB wanting us to think it was him.

Kurt had a job getting hold of Justin as he didn't answer calls from numbers he didn't know, throw back to the Syndicate days, ? - also like Nick not answering calls from unknown numbers - but I digress - so why didn't he ask Tori to speak to Justin.  He's not asking for a character witness just his corroboration of what went on at the cabin, when Novak turned up.  Made me wonder after shouldn't Scarlett be called too, unless it's because she didn't come into contact with him like Justin did.

The whole Novak going after Kat thing started when she exposed Carter's involvement with real corrupt cops, those with power willing to kill those who stood up to them even fellow cops. Kat made mistakes, but she also did do a good job, she helped the Morgan's through the last of the Syndicate days, worked out it was Charlotte who killed Denny and Tristan and nearly got killed herself for her troubles. She may not have turned Josh in right away like she should have but he didn't do a runner did he?  Then like Charlie before she got involved with an ex crim - no belay that - Brax had never done time - got suspended.  Finishes with him and takes up with Robbo who had an unknown history but as time goes on is revealed to have been sent to kill her by aforementioned corrupt cops, but changed his mind.

Already admitted I'm Team Robbo and very biased towards him as he just doesn't seem to be the contract killer type everyone is determined to paint him as. He's owned up to killing Novak, assaulting Ash in his get away.  Be down to Kurt or Robbo's barrister as to whether it's marked down to man slaughter or self defence. Anything that happened in his 'Beckett Reid' days can't be introduced as he doesn't remember it and I wouldn't plead guilty to something I didn't remember doing.  The prosecution have dragged up - not literally of course - Carter and his blood being found on the boat but there is no body - it may be way out there that he is alive but this is soap land and knowing Carter it wouldn't surprise me. It would raise that reasonable doubt in the jury's mind. I'm not sure why Kurt won't let Robbo testify they can hardly trip him up in cross examination if he can't remember anything can they?

I so want to 'say' something but can't!!!!

Archived