2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

7 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Back in the day, Colby would have been told to pull his head in by McGrath/Harper/Carter (Joel's boss/Jesse's nemesis)/Whoever ran the show at YCPS before being de-badged. That was really unprofessional.

"You're too close to the case, Thorne! Go home!" is more than likely what would be said.

And Ava's kidnapper looks like she'd mince dogs into pies for fun. Run Buddy!

Novak had to go.

Ava’s kidnapper looked like an evil Dawn French.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I  must be stupid then because after shouting yes, yes, yes and punching the air Robbo or to give him his proper name Ryan  is a good guy but then I am biased being in his camp.  I thought the background  of Robbo - now officially Ryan - and the explanation was good, glad to know some of my theories were right.  Yes there were holes, even the Feds are human, I guess.  They couldn't risk him going to prison and perhaps meeting up with the corrupt cops. We don't have a time line of how long this op had been going on, but don't forget Kat exposed Carter and his cronies way back, one of the reasons she was sent to the bay so it could have been years. Danger with giving Ryan the identity of an existing criminal (dead or alive) is there would be the risk of someone who knew him popping up, at least with a completely new name, background, he couldn't be tripped up if asked a unexpected question. The Feds were certainly thorough in deleting any trace of Ryan Shaw from the records, so much to think of, driving licence, medical records, NI etc. I wonder how they kept the locals quiet? Explains now why the local cops and others couldn't find any connection to military, gang, prison tats he and Lance made them up. He offered to do the undercover job after his  family was killed  as a warning. It reaffirms our thoughts at the time when Ziggy, Brody and Kat were held hostage by Zannis  he had military, police experience on how to handle himself taking down Zannis' cronies and Zannis himself. May not have had any memory of who he was but some things are instinctive. As happened at the cottage when he recognised the wiring as being part of a bomb. Was Rose a later addition, did Ryan get involved with her, it did lead to Ryan & Kat finding her, how accidental was her death and did the Feds do their usual job after by cleaning up the evidence by burning 'Ryan's clothes, I hope she does get a mention. Who knows how the Feds minds work, Lance did tell Ryan they lost track of him for a while, I'm thinking of when Carter 'kidnapped' him and forced him onto the boat, the fight and him being at the cove until Alf, Kat, Scarlett and Justin found him and brought him back to the bay. Did Carter recognise him as a cop and he was supposed to die? Ryan at first thought he'd been sent to kill her but in fact was sent to protect her which  ironically he did when Novak turned up. If all the corrupt cops had been locked up why did Novak keep turning up or was it just revenge against Ryan or has he knew him Beckett Reid? Another question who did put that photo of Ryan's family in that abandoned car, no way could either Novak or the Feds know Justin would take that particular car. I'm with you D.B Ryan didn't go rogue, he had the chance to kill Novak when he first took the gun off him, but didn't, Novak even goaded him about it, it was only later when they both had their hands on it a shot was fired and Novak ended up dead, could easily have gone the other way, leaving Novak free to kill Kat.  He did do a lot of good in the bay, saving Raffy from that lout, getting Coco to the hospital so no way a lose cannon only hitting back at people when cornered and having no choice but to fight back. If he really had gone rogue he  could have killed Alf back at the cove when he was in a lot worse shape, but he only knocked him out.  Thing is now all, well nearly all, has been revealed what next for Ryan, we did see him confront Ash next week, that'll be an interesting conversation, though something tells me it would have been against orders, but maybe Ryan is thinking he owes it to the people who helped him all those months and to give them an explanation.

Next drama the Morgan's and Ava's kidnapping - said before it's great how all the community are behind them. Glad Raffy is home where she's needed, um where was Buddy when the hand delivered not was shoved under their back door? If this is connected to Colby and his sister why are Hazel and her cronies, have to be more than one of them, demanding money. It was an accident that Jasmine found that file, but thankfully after a few words from Leah he did tell Jasmine the whole story. Is strange it appeared to be his step dad who took off with his mum and half sister but only posters for her posted, she was with her mum, but maybe the step dad is a wrong 'un and so she is potentially in danger? His reason for joining the police may have been for personal reasons, but he must be a good one, he passed the academy after all and appears to have  a good record so far, possibly the only option open to him, not using for any nefarious reasons just to track down his sister.

On 20/5/2018 at 16:23, H&Alover said:

If all the corrupt cops had been locked up why did Novak keep turning up or was it just revenge against Ryan or has he knew him Beckett Reid? Another question who did put that photo of Ryan's family in that abandoned car, no way could either Novak or the Feds know Justin would take that particular car.

Novak was already dead before the trial.Good point about the car, I was going to mention that.It seems unlikely Novak left it as originally speculated, since that would have required Robbo Ryan to be even more incompetent and bring along a photo of his murdered family while undercover.It seems equally unlikely that Robbo would have left it in Summer Bay some time before his amnesia and anyway the implication was it hadn't been in town as long as him.So the feds seem most likely: They weren't sure his amnesia was genuine, remember, so may have left it there thinking he'd recognise it.Also find myself pondering the records swap: I guess it'd make sense to make sure there were no photos of Beckett Reid if the corrupt cops had presumably targeted Ryan's family, so they wouldn't recognise him, with the passport presumably to convince Novak, but didn't they notice that all record of Ryan suddenly disappeared? Did they think he was in witness protection or something?

All of which is academic, since instead of continuing that plotline it gets dropped entirely.We get to focus on the missing Ava instead, with Justin deciding to take a huge risk to basically trust the bad guys and hope they're telling the truth.Somewhat ironic that he yells at Tori when for once she was being sensible.Not quite sure why Brody's suddenly so anti-police, although I guess after Ranae Turner and nearly being killed by Zannis after setting up a police trap he's had a few bad experiences.I'm glad Raffy didn't break ranks and tell Marilyn, who really couldn't be trusted not to blab, and also pleased that she refused to go along with the "Go off to school" thing.Her going to the police could go either way...but there's no point speculating because the promo pretty much told us everything that happens.

So, not quite the end with Martha, as there's still a bit of tension between Alf and Roo despite both their efforts.Roo was probably hurting Alf more by keeping quiet and avoiding him but his expression after seeing the painting (which, pleasingly, didn't look obviously like either Justine Clarke or Georgie Parker) suggested he's not as comfortable as this as he'd like to be, which may put a stop to any further visits.The Astoni stuff was well acted but not particularly dramatic, with the little scene of Ben and Coco unable to focus on their own lives being a small highlight.(And marvel at the concept of Ryder being the responsible one!)Coco was a bit too bratty with Roo though.

Well, it's understandable that Justin decided to do this, he's getting a chance to get his daughter back, even if it is in small hope, of course he's going to go for it, most fathers would. So even though it's not probably the smartest thing to do here, I can see why and if they get Ava back, it will all be worth it. And even though Tori was being sensible here, it's hugely hypocritical of her given that she kept Robbo from the police. And, in fairness, it's no wonder they decided not to go to the pilice, given that, with a few exceptions, including Colby (whom they should be trusting), they haven't been so effective in the past. I can understand why Raffy would go to the police, she's scared and she didn't really believe that Justin's way would work, but I can tell already it will end badly now (without seeing the promo or not). 

Awkward scenes between Alf and Roo, though I can see why. 

I do feel for Ben and Coco, with all the stuff with Maggie and Ziggy in the hospital, it's not hard to see how they feel so hopeless in it all and the fact that they can't focus on their lives must be frustrating, but it still doesn't excuse Coco behaving like a brat towards a lot of people though, even if she is going through a hard time. Using Raffy's excuse to stay out of school and pout seems a bit too far. Nice to see Ryder being more mature, I like seeing this mature and caring side of him.

Can't wait to see the rest of Robbo's mysteries be unsolved and Ava's search continue.

I was with Tori initially on this one.  I didn't think they should be giving the blackmailer the money without going to the police so I was almost cheering when Raffy rocked up to the police station.  Don't blame Justin at all though.  He was trying to do everything in his power to save his daughter so his actions were very understandable.

I find it increasingly harder to see Coco as anything other than slightly annoying.  If she was a good friend when she skipped school she would have at least tried to support Raffy but she usually fails to see outside anything that doesn't affect her because she's so self-absorbed.

Shame about the Roo/Martha storyline.  Would have liked her to stay around a little while longer.

The Morgans were oddly quick to dismiss the idea that the kidnapper was someone from their witness protection days, I thought; sure, they think everyone involved's behind bars, but how can they really know? Could Genevieve Lemon be the mother of that corrupt cop lady Ranae? Dunno - clutching at straws. Hard to know who to back out of Justin and Raffy in the police/no police debate. On paper it really ought to be police every time, but we know that the Yabbie Creek department has a habit of screwing things up, so perhaps Justin has the right idea.  

So it seems the Martha storyline continues, on some level at least - or perhaps it's just an attempt to ease us back into a normal Alf/Roo relationship after their recent strife. The Astoni scenes continue to tug at the heartstrings, meanwhile - particularly the exchange between Maggie and Ziggy in the hospital at the end there. Coco's coming across as a bit bratty and as if she's jealous of Raffy's crisis, which I suppose is more immediate than hers; but she does have a right to be upset too, so I'm giving her a pass for now. Is it just me, or does it feel like she's starting to lose interest in Ryder too? Much as I like him, I imagine he can be exhausting to be around.

Ryder's fun (which this show SORELY lacks in the age of Federal Marshalls, Child Snatchings and Shootouts) but however, someone like that can be irritating if the dosage isn't right!

You think if Justin threw water on the kidnapper, she'd melt? Oh What a World!? ?

The cops do generally have a history of making matters WORSE in this show. 

So, finally some confirmation on who Genevieve Lemon is, and I was kind of expecting a juicier reveal than 'Willow's bikie foe's mum', but hey-ho. She was pretty brusque today with Ava but I don't think there's much evidence of cruelty going on besides the kidnapping itself, which is a relief - Ava looks mildly disconcerted, but otherwise OK. Turns out Raffy made the wrong (or dramatically convenient - take your pick) call, but I'm still essentially with her and John; if they'd gone to the police in the first place, things wouldn't have played out as they did. Hazel surely wins the Careless Kidnapping award for leaving behind Ava's drawing, which was pretty much definitive proof of having had a child in their house who has a dog called Buddy - it caused me to wonder with a smile whether Buddy similarly drew a picture of Ava when he was kidnapped by Willow :lol: - although I guess it's possible that Ava left it deliberately at the last moment, as a breadcrumb trail for the police.

Kids of Cancer Patients' Camp sounds a bit odd to me - but maybe it's a thing, and/or an excuse to temporarily write out Anna Cocquerel for whatever reason. It's not like Coco's a sugared-up ten-year-old running around getting under her sick mum's feet; she wants to be there to support Maggie, and I did feel a bit like she was browbeaten into this camp idea by everyone else, including Ryder, oddly. It's surely going to do nothing for her failing school marks, since she won't be at school - although I'll buy that it might be good for her mentally to get away from it all, as long as she doesn't spend the whole time worrying what might be happening at home, which I probably would if I were her.

Had to skip atrus' & Captain Hulk's post as I haven't seen the episode yet.

Novak was still around when Carter and his cronies got sent down.

Maybe TPTB thought we'd had enough tension with the Ryan/Robbo situation (and had he done his three days) so threw something else at us.:wink: I would imagine it's gut reaction for any parent/relative not to call the cops as per kidnapper's instructions.  Certainly was  a heated debate but I guess as Ava's dad he had last say. Tori put forward a good argument by suggesting just telling Colby but as we all know things can and do go wrong.  The kidnappers obviously have no idea of how much money the Morgan's can get their hands on at short notice - $25,000, they aren't a wealthy family, their cash is tied up in the businesses.  Will Hazel be content with how ever much Justin managed to gather?  Though as we saw from the trailer after it all goes pear shaped Willow announces it was her they were trying to get at! Interesting to see why that is. Loved how Raffy offered her savings to help out. I couldn't see The Syndicate asking for money, they'd want something else. After her rant, she has lost too many members of her family already.  I was glad Tori had a quiet word with her and treated her less like a child. It was a good decision to send her to school so as not to arise suspicion. Liked how Ryder was being a friend to both Raffy and Coco. Nice touch of humour when Maggie left the table and he remarked 'anything to avoid me Mrs. A.' If things weren't happening at the same time Raffy would be there for Coco and vice versa. I liked how Raffy asked Marilyn's advice without giving anything away, she was still certainly torn when she rocked up at the cop shop.

It turned out then it was Ziggy's blood the hospital the hospital are going to use for the stem cell transplant, less traumatic I suppose. It's going to be a lot tougher for Maggie with the high dosage radio and chemo. Everyone reacts differently so we'll have to wait and see how badly it affects Maggie. Definitely a pot, kettle black moment between Ben & Coco when she caught him putting off going to work for Barry and he called her out on not going to school.

Patently obvious Roo was holding back when she was speaking to Alf about how it went with Martha, I get she was trying to spare his feelings but that idea  never works out well. I'm glad in the end she showed him the drawing of her as a child, though if he hadn't seen her showing it to Marilyn he wouldn't have known about it.  I may be nit picking here, but wasn't Roo blonde back when she was a child? Just a guess but maybe Alf not knowing Martha was an artist isn't a surprise, it may have been part of her therapy when she'd been diagnosed.:unsure:

Archived