2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Things I forgot to mention from last episode:  

Loved John and Alf''s banter: they're both such great friends and it's nice to see John giving Alf advice, especially since it's usually Alf giving advice, not just to John, but to everyone. It's also nice to see Leah getting actual purpose again, for most of this year, she's pretty much been a background character.  I did like some scenes with Ash and Robbo, because for a brief moment, they both shared their grief for Kat. I also liked how Robbo showed Ash where he stood: "I'm not going to give you any hassle, but you're not going to drive me out of town."  Alf leaving for a while did came as a suprise but I get his reasons and I liked his and Roo's chat. I hope he has a good time, God knows he deserves it. 

This episode:

Just when I was beginning to think that there was still hope for Tori, she completely blew it by yelling at Robbo, saying that he pushed Ash away (when he left on his own accord) and then had the nerve to say, after all she's done for him and she knows what's he's going through, that he's "turned everyone's life upside down"?!? She had no problem defending him before, even when there were doubts about him, but as soon as her supposed 'love' leaves, she loses it at him, not beginning to think that it's not all about her. As for John calling Robbo out, I do get that the town needs answers, but in fairness to Robbo, I don't think he knows all the answers. Also, since it's coming from John, I didn't like it, because out of all people ther, he should know what's it like when people are judgemental without knowing all the facts. I think the main problem is here is that while all feel sorry for Ash, few realise that Robbo is going through the same thing as well, only that it is easier to sympathise with Ash because they knew him longer than Ash. I think Robbo did overreact,but he'll tell people what happened when he is ready. No-one should push him.

Really liked Justin and Wilow acting like parents to Ava (I mean, Justin really is her parent, but he barely got any time to do so until now), and it was nice to see Raffy with her two, though I do find it a bit odd/weird that Raffy is Ava's aunt when they're both just a few years from each other.  Nina's reaction is pretty much realistic, the two main times when Ava came to the Bay, something seriously bad happened, and both cases were resolved with basically pure luck. And you said it Red, her real kidnapper was still out there. But I don't want her to separate Ava from Justin, I want the both of them to have a real father-daughter relationship.

I did find John and Marilyn trying to keep Raffy to stay with them a bit annoying, but their intentions were good. The scene with Leah were good. 

Sadly no Maggie, Brody and Ziggy, or Ryder, in this episode, hopefully more of them in the next! And more Alf soon when he returns of course!

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/05/2018 at 16:03, H&Alover said:

Where did  you get that idea from Slade?

Your previous postings of spoiler/teasers which leaves me to believe you know what's going happen anyway.

Well I really liked the interaction with Tori and Robbo initially.  She seemed surprised but genuinely quite pleased to see him back but unfortunately she went into fickle mode.  She was team Ash then team Robbo now she's team Ash again.  When she stormed round later on in the episode to confront Robbo re his conversation with Ash which ultimately caused him to up and leave she came across as so immature.

I was pretty disgusted with John the way he goaded Robbo - part of me actually wanted Robbo to deck him but he would have played right into Palmer's hands.  John is an absolute t*sser who IMO isn't the least bit likeable.  I really didn't like the way Justin was with Robbo either but it was more understandable.  In saying that even though his heart was in the right place I don't think Robbo should have gone round to the Morgans to apologise for how he acted in the Diner.  He should have just left well alone.

It was pretty obvious before she told John that Willow felt guilty about what happened and so she should.  I'm glad Ava recognised this as well.  Nina's outburst was harsh but again was very understandable.

20 hours ago, Slade said:
Your previous postings of spoiler/teasers which leaves me to believe you know what's going happen anyway.

Not spoilers or teasers just my thoughts of how I thought things were going to go.  I just sometimes get it right.

I couldn't believe how Tori did such a sudden U-turn over Robbo, who seems to be wanting to be known by that name, believed him when he gave her the explanation who he had been and what happened. Even though  it was just him & Carter on the boat Robbo still hasn't said what happened, unless that bit is still a blank. Then when she eventually she found out Ash had left town and without saying goodbye to her - how dare he  though why would he - blames him as he was the last to speak to him! It was if not friendly an amicable chat, neither threatening the other. If John really wanted to know why Robbo was walking around 'free' why didn't he give him the chance to tell him instead of goading him or a radical idea this go to the cops and ask them?  As I said in an earlier post Robbo could call a town meeting instead of telling each person individually.  Robbo was wrong by grabbing John and shouting at him scaring Ava in the process, but we saw by his behaviour In the flat he regretted it, maybe wondering why he was bothering staying. As you said D.B John of all people should understand people turning against you and he's  a longstanding member of the community.

Justin's reaction at him later was more understandable and Robbo of course had no idea of what had happened to her.  No surprise Ava was having nightmares and Justin is seriously thinking of getting counselling for her, though dismissing he needs any  because he's a tough manly bloke.:rolleyes:Of course Ava wants her mum, Justin is only a recent dad to her. Good idea of Willow's to get Ava outside so she didn't feel like a prisoner. It is hard to remember Raffy is Ava's aunt, but my eldest niece is only five years younger than me. I liked Raffy's gentle teasing that it was good she was at Maz and John's otherwise they would have to share a room.

Nina's reaction was completely  understandable though her screaming at Justin when Ava was in her bedroom and could and probably did overhear it isn't helpful for her recovery. Not sure her decision to take Ava home is a good thing, more disruption for her and although she is only 10 old enough to decide where she goes or stays. Nina as we saw delivers an ultimatum to Willow, Ava can be in Justin's life as long as she isn't.  As for the kidnapping and looking for Hazel I can only guess that, for the moment, is going on off screen.

Not sure when it happens but it looks like Dean tracks down Ash and is quite perceptive by suggesting that what is wrong with Ash is that he is grieving which when you think about it he hasn't had the time to do properly as he has been so angry with Robbo all this time.

Everyone was full of ideas as to what Leah should do but was any actual decision made?

3 hours ago, H&Alover said:

If John really wanted to know why Robbo was walking around 'free' why didn't he give him the chance to tell him instead of goading him or a radical idea this go to the cops and ask them? 

Well, he did give him the chance and Robbo refused to tell him. And as for the police, given that Colby had to hear the story from Robbo and given the way the feds invaded the local station and destroyed all the evidence against Robbo instead of actually telling them the truth, I doubt they know any more than John does.

So.Again I'm left sort of understanding where Nina's coming from while liking what she's doing less and less.To be fair, it's hard to see what Justin could have said to make things right.I kind of agreed with everything he said but it did feel like platitudes.The same goes for Willow, who really couldn't help matters by telling the truth, although the fact that she clearly adores Ava and vice versa really should have made an impact on Nina. Instead, Nina wanted someone to blame, something of a common feature at the moment, and she'd probably prefer it to be Justin but she'll take Willow.

I absolutely hated John and Marilyn here.They had no right to take Raffy away from the Morgans and I was disappointed at how easily she let them turn her against them: Just last episode she was excited about getting her family back, yet now they expect her to stop worrying about them and pretend they're her family.They didn't even have the decency to talk to the Morgans about it, just going behind their back and manipulating Raffy with a lot of talk about stability and how it's her choice.So Justin loses his daughter, his sister and his girlfriend in one go, and it feels like we're meant to see Nina as in the wrong for depriving him of two of them and John and Marilyn as somehow okay to break up a family.It feels like we have hope that Nina will come round but the other is the new status quo, even though I'm praying it will only be temporary.They used to have Irene do this sort of thing, grab people who had family in the Bay and move them in with her, and this is worse than any of those.Not long ago someone asked me if John and Marilyn had run their course and I said no, but if keeping them on the show means stuffing other characters about to accomodate them, then I'd rather they left with their likability intact.The show should have followed through properly on making them foster parents and had them take in people who actually need a home and family, not have them foster one boy for a few weeks and then snatch a girl out of the home and family she's already got.

And...poor Ash.As much as I disliked his treatment of VJ last season, I think he's more than paid for it by now, yet the hits keep coming as he's expected to accept that what Robbo did was somehow all right.He's close to breaking point if not already there.I did like his little moment of kindness as he told Dean not to put himself down, shame he kind of went back on it when Dean told him something he didn't want to hear.

The dedication to Cornelia Frances at the end was a nice touch.I'm assuming Channel 5 did it off their own back, since the episode obviously wouldn't have reached them with it already attached.If so, good for them.

Things I forgot to mention yesterday:

Good job on the Ava actress, very good in portraying Ava's panic and nightmares. I like how the show shows that it still mentally affects her instead of brushing it under the carpet.

I also felt for Robbo because he was really distraught that he upset Ava, when they showed in his apartment later on, he didn't looked pleased or annoyed, he looked genuinely ashamed that he still, unwillingly, causes problems for people. John should have really known better than to push his buttons, Robbo is still trying to process with it all. Though Justin!/ reaction was pretty much understandable

Really liked Leah and Roo's chat, I always enjoyed the two of them together, they always felt like sisters to me. Also loved Irene saying what inspires her is John paying for coffee!? Also liked the mention of Jett, just because it's Jett.

This episode:

I'll admit, I was very impressed with Dean with the way he handled Ash, as he says himself, he wasn't really the type of guy to talk about this kind of thing, but it makes sense: with the Morgans kind of distancing themselves from him, Ash doesn't really have anyone else in Summer Bay to call. He's not really close to anyone else. Dean was spot on, Ash is really finally grieving, instead of hunting for revenge. Now he sees that all of it was for nothing. No wonder he broke down like this. I'm surprising myself when I say this but I actually felt for him tonight. Well done, George Mason.  I also liked how he praised Dean, saying he had a lot to offer. I'm still not sure about that last part, but he did mean it. 

As for Nina's outburst against Willow and Justin, again, it was very harsh, it's not their fault what happened and it was because of Willow they managed to get her back, but also understandable. At the end of the day, she's a worried mother who wants her kid to be safe. Still, I found her ultimatum for Willow, (either Justin gets Willow, or Ava) extremely cruel. Mainly because I like Justin and Willow together and I don't want them to break up. I'm still enjoying this side to Willow, more kind and selfless is being seen in her recently that I just love. 

I found it extremely annoying that John and Marilyn are trying to keep Raffy for their own and even more annoying the Raffy was convinced. I know they want what they think is best for her, but I think what's really best for her is to be with her actual family. I guess their love for foster kids and memories of Jett and Skye and Jordan makes them want to try again, but that shouldn't involve taking a girl from her family,  no matter how willing she is or how good John and Marilyn are. 

Tori..... first you lose it at Robbo for things that are out of his control but you don't realise this because you're so self-absorbed, but then suggest during your apology that he should still leave? I appreciate that she did apologise, but still,  she should either apologise properly or don't, just don't go in between because it suits her. Honestly. I find her now, when it comes to the whole Robbo-Ash thing, ridiculous. Which is a huge shame.

Still  waiting for the Astonis.

I hate the way people treat Robbo. It's not his fault Ava's upset. A diner is a communal place and just because Ava means a lot to Justin, doesn't mean that everybody else has to care about her. That sounds harsh, but I'm not a kid person and again, I find Justin's screaming annoying.

Forgot to mention yesterday: When Nina said Ava saw the police shoot a man and Justin seemed to agree with her, I was thinking "No she didn't! She and Justin were back up the track out of sight!" Anyway, looks like Nina's kept her side of the bargain, judging by what we heard of Justin's side of the phone call, and he'll be able to see Ava again now he's no longer dating Willow...although as he points out, it's not like they're never going to see each other again.So, another week, another ambiguous ending for Ash.On the face of it, he seems to be doing an Alf and going away for an unspecified amount of time to clear his head, although Irene makes a comment about him moving on to confuse the issue.Dean seemed out of his depth at times but proved Ash was right to rely on him by not giving up and showed a greater understanding than might have been expected.I'm not expecting the Colby/Dean back story to make any more sense than Robbo's back story but we could do with a few more answers.Do he and Willow know Colby's out of town though?Not do him much good to turn up at the flat and find Robbo there.(Colby's back in the promo though.)

The stuff with Ben and Maggie was nicely normal with a little undercurrent and they continue to work well as a unit.Maggie hiding her hair loss from Ben was actually understandable for once: She's not going to want to rock the boat when their lives finally seem to be about something other than her cancer.

This episode: 

I'm surprised at Ash's low-key exit, but I honestly hope, despite my huge dislike towards him, that this isn't the last of him we see. While it is good that he is getting help outside Summer Bay, he deserves a much better send off. His relationships with Tori, Justin, Irene and others shouldn't be ignored.  If the writers chose to ignore them though, I will be very disappointed. Ash is far from my favourite, but he is such a major character, him just leaving without saying goodbye to anyone else other than Dean. And while he did treat Dean a bit unfair when Dean told him the truth, it was understandable, which is something I don't really say about Ash. Still feeling for him, his breakdown is very well portrayed. So, while I don't like him, I hope that Ash will return so, if he does leave again, he will get a more appropriate exit. Also surprising, I'm gaining more respect for Dean, from the way he was there for Ash to standing up to Willow. I didn't really like Dean  when he first came on, but I get the feeling that he might as well be alright. 

I felt really sorry for both Justin and Willow here. It's obvious that she cares for him, she just wants to do what's best for him and Ava. And while I didn't appreciate Willow not telling Justin the real reason why, I can see it from her point of view, he might decide to confront Nina over it or chose Willow over Ava.  And Willow doesn't want him to do that. Willow has very much become one of my favourites. At least Nina kept her promise and will allow Justin to still see Ava. 

Very pleased to see Ben and Maggie again, their story so far is the most enjoyable of the whole year and they work very well together. Felt really sorry for Maggie losing her hair, but while I don't see why she didn't tell Ben, I'm very sympathetic towards her, because she still doesn't want to cause any more worry or sadness towards her family.

Like you Red, I also want to see answers with Dean and Colby, it would be great to see them rekindle their friendship. Though I would still like to see Dean thanks Colby for, oh, I don't know...saving his life?

Some sterling acting from George Mason in the last two episodes, and I find myself feeling more sympathy for the character when he's like this than when he's a-raging - but I can't help but think most of this character's problems are, and always have been, down to pure emotional constipation. Dean's a sufferer of that himself, but even he could see that Ash needed some help in that department. I was hoping they could hug it out today and kill two birds with one stone: namely, Ash's grief and Dean's crushing self-esteem issues. And we didn't quite get there, but I think Dean's insistence on just being there helped. Today's installment was a bit of a small-cast episode, which means everyone was restricted to having the same conversations over and over again, and talking about their feelings much more than the likes of Dean and Ash are accustomed to - but on the plus side, it gave us a bit more of an insight into Dean's background, Ash's grief and Willow's complexities. This second departure for Ash felt a bit more like a hiatus rather than a permanent farewell, so hopefully by the time he returns he'll feel able to put all the bloodlust behind him.

Don't really blame Willow for making the choice she has - it would have been nice if she could tell Justin why she was really ending it, but perhaps she thinks that that will just make it worse for both of them when he has to choose Ava anyway; and it's difficult to see what else he could do, other than lying to Nina or trying to talk her around. At least it seems like Willow's selflessness has paid off, anyway.

So I was right about Raffy on Monday - I know there's been a bit of drama, but  what on earth has happened that justifies her living with Marilyn and John forever? Especially with Ava now back in The City. Once again, why not just have written her in as a foster child of the Palmers in the first place - she's barely had any involvement with the Morgans' storylines apart from being put in peril every now and then. It just feels like a convenient way to balance out the households, but it seems to have no basis in realism.

Oh that's sad news about Cornelia Frances I missed that, she played Morag so well, condolences to her family.

I suppose in normal circumstances Ash  may have called Justin, but he knew he had enough on his plate with Ava so chose Dean. You had to hand it to Dean he didn't give up with Ash despite being shouted at and pushed over he stuck it out. I knew there was a lot more to him than he shows the world and not your average River Boy.  That scene of Ash breaking down on the beach was so sad and Dean rightly walked away and let him let it all out.  George Mason really portrayed Ash's torment so well, with the flashbacks where he'd held it together all building to his accepting he needed help and the decision to leave and get himself sorted, I'm assuming some sort of counselling.:unsure:  Big admission from Dean he'd had counselling in prison to help with his anger/puzzlement as to why his friend, who Ash rightly guessed was Colby, had left him. I thought he knew though.:unsure: I can see, kind of, why Ash chose Irene to tell he was leaving, Justin as I said before has other things to worry about and maybe he didn't feel comfortable with telling Tori so that just left Irene. I was expecting him t go back to the bay and say goodbye in person.  Not the highest priority but of course there is the garage, which Ash has a share in, him going just leaves Justin and Ziggy as qualified mechanics and Dean if he keeps him on.  I bet Justin isn't looking forward to telling Tori the 'happy' news who'll  want to know why Ash didn't speak to her and go on and on ad nauseum.  No good at him having a go at Irene, Justin could always ask Dean if he could get over his dislike of him, and Tori will want to interrogate him!

You weren't the only one Red puzzling about Nina  saying Ava saw Boyd being shot, she didn't, she may have heard the shots, but she certainly didn't see anything. Shame in a way her being taken back to the city as it means we won't know how she got picked up by Hazel. While I understand Nina's worry/anger over Ava she really did herself no favours shouting  at Justin in Salt in front of Ava, that's certainly going to make her feel secure. I bet it must have stung though when Willow walked in and Ava rushed over and hugged her. The actress who plays Ava does look like Justin so good casting.

I'm up and down with Willow but it can't have been easy for her to confront Nina and she took her ultimatum well and did finish with Justin so he could have contact with Ava again.  She held out as long as she could in not telling him the real reason, btw how did Nina know they were over, I'm assuming she did hence her phone call to Justin which seemed good news. Then she let herself down by crying on Dean's shoulder because she and Justin were through and him feeling like he was just second fiddle and telling her he'd had enough. His rubbing his right leg was interesting, Ash's troubles bringing back bad memories perhaps?

I think Willow mentioned Colby being out of town, and Colby knows Robbo is in the flat, as he turned up just before Colby left.

I'm of a different opinion re Maz, John and Raffy.  Yes they did go behind Justin's back but Raffy is 15 and a savvy kid and quite capable of making her own decision about where she lives.  Just as she gets settled back at the Morgan's something else happens and it's decided she'd be 'safer' at John and Marilyn's.

Was good to see the Astoni's well two of them, Poor Ben had the housework get on top of him, not the end of the world mate.  Maybe Maggie didn't tell Ben about losing more hair because (1) he can't do anything about it and (2) she wants him to concentrate on his new job.

Archived