1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Alf seems to like new girl Kelly. (Just as long as she doesn't want to go out with Blake). 1988 eps seem like a lifetime ago. Lol at Mrs Tuffy. Fin seems to have caught Sophie's cold from the other week. I don't think Donald would have used the word "kid". Does Lou still work as the art teacher? We only ever see her in the diner. Why would she even still be working in the diner?

Mrs Tuffy seemed to have trouble speaking, was she a mute?

Shane, Damian and everyone else took an instant liking to Kelly, while Alf admired her skill at maths (even saying she had a 30MB brain, this is 1992: back in the days of 2MB RAM and 20MB HDD computers).

Does Lou still work as the art teacher? We only ever see her in the diner. Why would she even still be working in the diner?

I think there was a scene last week where Don was in a classroom, Lou came in and he said something along the lines of "Oh, you're in here now, I'll move." She's only part time at the school anyway.

Some of Pippa and Bobby's dialogue was a bit Message of the Week but Smithers is still a realistic portrayal of a boss who thinks his position gives him the right to treat the office girls how he likes with impunity.There is a feeling that a message that seems obvious and heavy-handed now might have been fairly novel in the early 90s.

So, Ryan's gone

at least for the moment.

Nick did completely lose it in his attack on the caravan, which again was a weird case of a couple of lines sticking in my mind after all these years, although at least he calmed down afterwards.Again, Ryan couldn't leave without grabbing the Villain Ball and pointlessly taunting Nick first.I did seem to remember Shane stealing Ryan's car wasn't as dismissed as easily as it seemed to have been but I'm not really sure how it ends up so interesting to see.

And a couple of new long-term guests with the arrival of Blake's father Les and sudden It girl Kelly.Shane was a bit of a jerk with the way he kept belittling and talking over Damian in front of her.

Red Ranger, maybe so in a few extreme cases of lack of respect but do you really think that many bosses were (or are) really like that, and also, may I ask, why the does Sophie whine about other stuff besides the one late-night kiss when Sophie worked back late? All I saw was Mr Smithers innocently showing Sophie what task was to be done when she was sitting at her desk, when he said he can't show her "from the other side of the room!". Oh and as for brushing past her? oh for god sake..... see it makes her sound like a whingeing attention-seeker when she complains about things like that!

Red Ranger, maybe so in a few extreme cases of lack of respect but do you really think that many bosses were (or are) really like that, and also, may I ask, why the does Sophie whine about other stuff besides the one late-night kiss when Sophie worked back late? All I saw was Mr Smithers innocently showing Sophie what task was to be done when she was sitting at her desk, when he said he can't show her "from the other side of the room!". Oh and as for brushing past her? oh for god sake..... see it makes her sound like a whingeing attention-seeker when she complains about things like that!

I don't know about many but some certainly are.I guess the storyline is simultaneously subtle and heavy-handed in that once something like that has happened you're aware of the possibility of it happening again and hypersensitive as a result.If Smithers had simply "innocently" misread the signals assumed that Sophie wanted him to make a move on her(if a man who's married with children seemingly wanting an affair with an employee less than half his age could ever be consider innocent), he would have been genuinely apologetic rather than all "It's your fault for being attractive" and wouldn't have gone around looking for any excuse to touch her when she was obviously, and understandably, uncomfortable with him doing so.He might not have been able to show her from the other side of the room, but he could have shown her from the other side of the desk, not used it as an excuse to cuddle up to her and put his arm round her.And his actions recently are clearly those of a guilty man:An innocent man would not have invented an excuse to sack Sophie when he realised she wasn't going to quietly put up with attentions or lied about it afterwards. He clearly knows his actions could get him in trouble if they came out and is trying to cover up and shift the blame.

(By the way, how old is Sophie meant to be?Michael said she was 18 this last week, but she was still only 15 when she was with Haydn in early 1991 so if she turned 16 sometime before she got pregnant, shouldn't she still be 17?)

Oh my god Red Ranger1.....I mean how can you justify the way Sophie is carrying on? Can't bear to be in the same room as him, going on to Blake about how she just can't stand his "meaty hands", not wanting to face him when arguing her case? Jeez, talk about WEAK! That bitch really makes my blood boil the way she snivels and carries on, she's not much bigger than the brat in the pram she bends her head down to the pram smile at (all the while going on about the anti-discrimination board). Sophie gets herself pregnant, throws her life away and wastes her abilities for the sake of this hideously overblown crush by the name of David (taxing herself to tears for the rest of her miserable existence over someone she only knew a couple of weeks), then complains and complains about the consequences of teenage motherhood like it never ever is her fault. People like her make me SICK :grr:

So, I take it you don't like Sophie?Well, fair enough, we all have characters that get on our nerves, but surely you're not defending Smithers?(Actually, you're not, you're just listing a load of things you dislike about Sophie, most of which have nothing to do with the rights or wrongs of the situation at hand.)He's clearly abusing his position and Sophie has every right to challenge it.

Archived