1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Can someone please explain how Sophie became this beloved figure in Home and away history. Because she really has shown NOTHING to convince me over the years that she deserves this title. God Karen was a better character and yet she has been mainly forgotten about

Just curious - why have you got her as your avatar?

I think probably because she was the first main teenage character to have a baby in the show plus the David storyline. If she hadn't had the baby I wonder if she would have been seen as memorable years down the track.

Before the early years, whenever I used to think of Sophie I immediately had images of her as a pregnant school girl so it stood out to me and at the time her giving birth was seen as a major storyline in the show. You've got to remember that H&A was only a few years old at that point and it was the first time anything like that had happened in the show, so it became a memorable moment. I think it still is considered one of the early years memorable moments (Sophie giving birth to Tamara).

Other teenage pregnancy storylines haven't had anywhere near the same impact as Sophie's did. Teenage pregnancy isn't seen as controversial as it used to be - so watching it back it doesn't seem that 'huge' but in 1991/1992 it was.

I like the character, I think it's interesting to watch how she's coping, being a young mother and trying to better herself. I do prefer the other stories that are going on at the moment though.

I think probably because she was the first main teenage character to have a baby in the show plus the David storyline. If she hadn't had the baby I wonder if she would have been seen as memorable years down the track.

Before the early years, whenever I used to think of Sophie I immediately had images of her as a pregnant school girl so it stood out to me and at the time her giving birth was seen as a major storyline in the show. You've got to remember that H&A was only a few years old at that point and it was the first time anything like that had happened in the show, so it became a memorable moment. I think it still is considered one of the early years memorable moments (Sophie giving birth to Tamara).

Other teenage pregnancy storylines haven't had anywhere near the same impact as Sophie's did. Teenage pregnancy isn't seen as controversial as it used to be - so watching it back it doesn't seem that 'huge' but in 1991/1992 it was.

I like the character, I think it's interesting to watch how she's coping, being a young mother and trying to better herself. I do prefer the other stories that are going on at the moment though.

Well, technically there was Roo, but while she had the pregnant teenager storyline we never really saw her being a mother and her daughter got forgotten about pretty much as soon as she gave her away, so maybe it didn't have such an impact.

Can someone please explain how Sophie became this beloved figure in Home and away history. Because she really has shown NOTHING to convince me over the years that she deserves this title. God Karen was a better character and yet she has been mainly forgotten about

Just curious - why have you got her as your avatar?

Exactly, it was shocking at the time, particularly here in the UK on a soap airing at lunch and teatime. In addition there was Pippa & Michael the almost perfect parents we all wanted who were providing this safe haven to those kids sort of failing Sophie by her becoming a teen mum. I also vividly remember a pregnant Sophie telling Pippa "You are such a bitch!"

^Yes, Damian's in Sally's old room and Sally's sharing with Fin.Damian was in a camp bed in the nursery when he first moved in, then they switched everyone around a couple of months ago.They made a big deal about Sally redecorating the room when she moved in and getting paint on her bridesmaid dress prior to Bobby and Greg's wedding.

^Yes, Damian's in Sally's old room and Sally's sharing with Fin.Damian was in a camp bed in the nursery when he first moved in, then they switched everyone around a couple of months ago.They made a big deal about Sally redecorating the room when she moved in and getting paint on her bridesmaid dress prior to Bobby and Greg's wedding.

Ahh, the times when room moves got mentioned rather than people moving around everytime a bedroom is seen.

Ahh, the times when room moves got mentioned rather than people moving around everytime a bedroom is seen.

Yes, also the times when the writers actually KNEW which character had which room. I remember 2010-ish they showed Alf in his bedroom which was the exact same room they showed as Miles' room only a few weeks apart. Even though it wasn't used as much as it was in the 90s, the upstairs rooms were still put to use through the Sutherland years and Sally and Flynn years. But now it's as if they don't even have the upstairs set any more in the current show.

There used to be a post on here about all the forgotten rooms in Summer Bay House - there is Sally's attic room, the downstairs bedroom which was never seen again after Pippa's brother left (who was also never seen again), the bathroom and of course the regular bedrooms, which as c120701 points out, have different characters in them on each rare occasion we ever see them, so they never really feel like these characters' bedrooms.

I remember when I first watched these episodes, I couldn't quite decide if Smithers was doing anything wrong after the original incident.Watching it again, he's probably just about on the right side of the line but the fact he's crossed it once adds an unsettling undertone to his interaction with Sophie.He's apologised and said they should put what happened behind them, but you'd think he'd recognise that she's still uncomfortable and keep his distance rather than repeatedly invading her personal space and touching her when he doesn't need to and when she clearly doesn't want him to.Despite Bobby getting a bit soapboxy(hard to believe it's only a few years since she told Roo to just forget about Revhead and his friends trying to rape her...), there's a nice subtlety about someone in power pushing their luck as far as they can without being obvious about it.As for Sophie, I do like her although she frustrates me deeply at times:her handling of this is hardly ideal but perhaps it would be unrealistic for someone who's still quite young to know the right thing to do.

Oh, so that's what happened with Pippa working at the store.No wonder I didn't remember it.(I was actually thinking that I don't think Alf ever has a proper assistant again, just a stream of teenagers working part-time.)

Things finally resolved between Fin and Blake and I quite liked that after she'd got her low grade revenge they could joke about it.Shane fits in surprisingly well at the Rosses':The house is a bit crowded but it'd be nice if they left him there.

Archived