1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

So we haven't seen the last of Ryan yet? I thought that he'd gone forever. Who goes (permanently) first, him or Lou? Also, do Lou and Nick part on at least somewhat good terms?

Ryan returns in 1117, by which point Lou's already left permanently(1093, I think).As I recall, she and Nick part on

fairly good terms, might be wrong.

Anyone know the song that was on the radio when fin and sophie were talking at the table. Its on a fair bit in this era and beyond. Did anyone else cringe at the Nick crying scene?

Headless Chickens "Cruise Control" remix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJpw7rijo5w

great. thanks for that bronson. One of their songs "george" was used a lot too. Its hard to get details of these songs being from the UK but I recognise them all from the tune

Finally caught up to 1085.Bobby and Don gave Lou some spectacularly bad advice by telling her to go and harass Nick when he obviously needed space.Not surprisingly, it backfired big time.Interesting that things already seem to be thawing between Fin and Shane.

Satisfying to see Nasty Mr.Smithers finally get his comeuppance, his "Oh corks" moment when Gina showed up was a real punch-the-air-in-triumph moment, although I found the sinister music blaring out on the sound track when he came to offer Sophie a deal a bit over the top.Bobby bullying Gina into helping Sophie was a bit uncomfortable, as with a lot of Bobby's interventions she could have done with toning it down a bit.

Can't quite decide whether Greg's supposed sleep deprivation is plausible or not.Perhaps it's not the early starts so much as the long hours, since with the bread run and the boat shed he must be working about twelve hours a day.

With the departure of Matt at the beginning of the year and now Marilyn, poor Adam has become a bit of a spare part. We do hear about him having various conquests with different women and his "mates down the pub" but all we ever see is him hanging around the beach, surf club, or diner on his own, and a sort-of friendship with Blake. His role seems to have been reduced to that of the town blabbermouth, a plot device, passing on incorrect information or giving people stupid advice. It's a shame, as his character is worth a lot more than that. He needs to develop stronger bonds to Bobby and Greg, characters his own age, and get some decent storylines of his own.

I found myself wondering what on earth Ailsa was playing at.She lets herself get sweet-talked by Les then, as Alf said, uses a whole load of emotional manipulation on Blake to get him to do something that no-one really wants him to do, seemingly out of a desire to play the martyr.Mind you, in the end it was Alf who effectively gave Blake permission to see Les so maybe it's not all her fault.

Michael was right to want to sack Greg when he wasn't pulling his weight and Pippa shouldn't have tried to play on their friendship to get him to change his mind.Still, the deal they worked out with Bobby being allowed to talk him out of the second job was reasonable.(Although in the end Michael had to do it himself.I suppose they had to come up with something for Pippa and Bobby to do this week.)Not sure how I feel about Michael's sudden change in attitude towards Sophie, which seems if not a 180 then certainly a 90 from his "We'll give you all the help we can" stance.Is Sophie taking Pippa for granted?Well, yeah, but no more than any other child and indeed no more than the rest of the household.(Or ex-household:I see Bobby, who seems to be the one stirring up most of the trouble at least initially, is still turning up with clothes for her to adjust.Bit of a double standard there.)Sophie having to stay home to look after Tamara in the evening because Michael's planned to take Pippa out is fair enough but going back on her promise to look after her while Sophie's at work feels a bit like moving the goalposts.Have to see how it plays out before making a firm judgement.

Okay, I guess I was wrong about Fin thawing towards Shane.

We can't be that far off Adam moving into the beach house.I remember it happened when Bobby was away(at Marilyn's wedding?)and the fact Greg's just dropped his second job and I think he invited him to move in without telling Bobby because he thought they needed the rent suggests it's just around the corner.Maybe that'll give him a better place on the show.

I'm 2 weeks behind....Bobby saying the Diner is slow when trying to find the extra cash to go to Marilyn's wedding, then a few days later,,diner kitchen getting renovated. Did they find some extra cash hidden behind the jukebox? And why you would have tradies move a fridge that's turned off but still full of food and condiments...hmmmm.

PS Will anyone ever get shallots? It's been on the shopping list on the sliding door for months!

Archived