Most Popular Character 2014

Dan F

I have to say I am not too shocked at the poll at the moment. I have an idea who is left from the current crop of characters who has scored...

As for the early years characters I'm not too surprised at Angel being where she is but I think the 2016 poll may be better for her (at the same time I wonder if Bobby will peak (if she has scored any points at all!) in this poll because if the early years continue in the 2016 poll I believe we will be in 1995!!!!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really glad that Edward and Peta made it this high in the list, this means I wasn't the only one to vote for them..

They are some of my favourite characters.

And I also still remember Peta's first storyline.

I thought it was a shame they left so soon.

I never actually properly saw Edward and Peta's wedding because it was before the cut-off point of episodes that channel 5 could show in their brief "early years" runs in 2007 and 2013. I only saw them in episodes 2841-2875, or the odd clip I could find on YouTube. During most of their time on the show (i.e. when it was on ITV), I was too young to watch. However, the first episode I remember seeing was only 10 episodes after their departure and was Ken Smith's death, but that was after the move to channel 5 and a whole year transmission break. I'd love to see Edward and Peta's entire run, but I don't see that being particularly easy here. Why can't they show the early years properly in the UK at a time I can watch it?

I never watched H&A in the time of Edward and Peta - but you are all making me want to catch up with those.

I would be surprised if Sally didn't win - I think the thing is that she was the in the show for over 20 years, and people actually watched her grow up on screen. I think her and Alf Stewart are the two characters that even non-H&A fans associate with H&A.

I think it is interesting to see how exit storylines can influence a character's popularity - that probably explains why Tamara did so well (given how unpopular she seemed to be when she was on the show); why Jack did so well around his death, but seems to have been forgotten now.

It is interesting that Kirsty and Kane rank higher than the other Sutherlands - I liked both of them and found their relationship believable, but yet on paper, their romance shouldn't make any sense. She married her sister's rapist!

I think I can guess who didn't make the list at all out of the current cast.

I thought Jett might have scored a little higher seeing he's actually one of the better current characters and current characters usually do better then this lot are doing.I'm still not sure what to make of how badly the current lot are doing.It'll be interesting to see who didn't score anything.I haven't been keeping score.

Like the blurb suggests I'm also surprised Hayley hasn't become iconic and scored higher.Having said that Angel is iconic and scored rather low considering I thought.

I'm actually surprised Tamara scored so highly.Nobody seemed to like her but apparently at least two did.

Chloe and Angel are two of my faves but I didn't vote for them.You have to really think of who to vote for and mine never change much.I got ridiculously attached to them.

I think we can guess who the top dogs will be seeing the really popular characters like Kane, Kirsty and Dani have already showed up along with a fair chunk of the current cast.These polls aren't ever really that surprising when it comes to the top 5 or so.

None of mine have showed up yet so I'm feeling pretty awesome lol.Thanks for all the work!

With luck, in five or six years' time, Edward and Peta will turn up on 7Two...I've got an odd feeling Peta appears quite a while before Edward but I'll have to check just how big the gap was.

The fact that Hayley was around in the ITV years made the fact she was still there quite some ways into the Channel 5 broadcasts very noticeable.There was a period where after Alf, Sally and Irene she was the longest-serving character on the show.Quite a long period.

Doing the checklist, I'm realising that one particular current cast member who got votes hasn't appeared yet, so must be fairly high.The rest of the current cast who appear can probably be guessed at.

With my sympathy vote for Maddy out of the way, I've got four yet to appear.And it occurs to me that none of them are current characters...

Roman and Miles were the two characters who were a part of the new cast makeup from 2008. I felt both were great characters in the making but the writing let them down in the end. Roman was gone far too soon for my liking!

Roman was great, definitely one of the greatest of his time and its a shame he left the show so soon. did the actor choose to leave or was he written out?

Roman and Miles were the two characters who were a part of the new cast makeup from 2008. I felt both were great characters in the making but the writing let them down in the end. Roman was gone far too soon for my liking!

Roman was great, definitely one of the greatest of his time and its a shame he left the show so soon. did the actor choose to leave or was he written out?

Behind the scenes, Roman's departure was a little bit.... complex and delicate, with Conrad's desire to head for Hollywood only being part of it. The only thing I can say is that TPTB of the time didn't write out good characters/actors if they had a choice in the matter.

These polls aren't ever really that surprising when it comes to the top 5 or so.

Oh I don't know.... there were certainly some surprises for the staff this time around.... :ph34r:

I agree about Hayley, I think because she arrived in that window where I was expecting Pippa to come back after her 6 months in the Carrington Ranges, crossed over with characters like Marilyn & Chloe and was quite close to some of the older characters she felt much more like an early Home and Away character than the year 2000 characters when the show seemed a lot more teen orientated, at least in terms of production with the swooping scene changes etc...

Archived