Most Popular Character 2014

Dan F

Yes Scruffy's only appeared once before and that was in the 2008 poll.

Also interesting to note is that this is the first ever time Rhys Sutherland has appeared in the poll, which surprised us given that it's 10 years since he left and he hasn't returned since - if he was going to appear at all you'd have expected it to be in the first poll in 2004.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Rhys was one of those characters that was horrible at the time (sacrificed to make a certain daughter & bad boy look sympathetic) but on rewatch actually was entertaining, complex and above all else... realistic. For me he is the only Sutherland who I would have preferred to have stayed.

And Sarah Lewis manages to hold on muwahaha!

P.S Love the unbiased blurb for Maddy ;)

Yes Scruffy's only appeared once before and that was in the 2008 poll.

Also interesting to note is that this is the first ever time Rhys Sutherland has appeared in the poll, which surprised us given that it's 10 years since he left and he hasn't returned since - if he was going to appear at all you'd have expected it to be in the first poll in 2004.

Hm... I think I was the one who voted for Rhys. I think I had him in fifth or fourth place.

I liked Rhys. He reacted the way a father normally does or would have done in the given situations.

I liked him both with Beth and with Shelley. I did not have a favourite among these two women, I think they both worked well alongside Rhys.

I liked Kane too. I think it is great to see different sides of the story.... I could/can be sympathetic to them both, and also Kirsty. I never thought that Rhys was sacrificed for Kane and Kirsty's sake. There are always different sides to a story. And that is what makes a storyline interesting for me. And that is the reason why I thought Rhys deserved to be on my favourites list. If the list was longer, I would have included Kane too.

I think that Rhys was one of those characters that was horrible at the time (sacrificed to make a certain daughter & bad boy look sympathetic) but on rewatch actually was entertaining, complex and above all else... realistic. For me he is the only Sutherland who I would have preferred to have stayed.

And Sarah Lewis manages to hold on muwahaha!

Definitely. I couldn't stand him when he was actually on the show, but whenever I re-watch episodes from that era, I always find myself liking him.

I think there are a few reasons for that. First, as I get older, I find myself taking the side of the adults over the children more and more. Secondly, while he was usually presented as over protective and unreasonable, you realise in hindsight that he was actually right about pretty much everything. And most importantly, while he wasn't always the most likeable guy, he was at least consistent and had his own personality as opposed to the string of dull as dishwater father figures since (Brad, Tony etc).

I think the most annoying thing is that they got rid of him because they thought Beth would be more interesting as a single mother...and then they did nothing with her until she died.

Thanks, I did my best not to let my personal feelings shine through, declaring her the greatest Home and Away character ever might have been pushing it...

And I've just noticed the caption "Scruffy Played by a Border Collie".Respect, Dan!

Thanks for the update. I'm sad Dani only got 2 points. I thought she was an excellent character who was unfairly demonised as a princess (she wasn't any more self absorbed or stuck up than dozens of other teenage characters in the show's history), for being "the other woman" in the middle of two very popular relationships and for being raped (a whole lot of the criticisms of her seemed to carry real "blame the victim" overtones). A character who deserved better. Nothing much else to say about any of the other characters.

Latest update is yet another case of i'm glad that someone voted for a charecter i liked [Jade] but didn't vote for !!!

oh, and i loooooved this, re Zac ............ Do you think we should call a funeral director?

btw, MANY thanks to people like Dan and Red Ranger 1 for making these polls possible !!!!

Thanks for the updates Dan and great stuff RR1 on the character blurbs! Very creative! :)

Amazing to see Harley Braxton receive two votes. That came as a surprise to me but I guess babies do that to some people!

The Sutherlands had two members in Dani and Jade (technically not a Sutherland) feature. Dani's decline is quite steep but not surprising since it's been ten years since she left.

Archived