The Axe

Guest Snapp

I am wondering if anyone can tell me for certain whether actors voluntarily left or whether they were axed? So far we have:

1. Alan Fisher (Simon Kay).

2. Gary Samuels (Darius Perkins).

3. Philip Matheson (John Morris).

4. Alison Patterson (Kathryn Ridley).

5. Martin Dibble (Craig Thomson).

6. Lance Smart (Peter Vroom).

7. Celia Stewart (Fiona Spence).

8. Tom Fletcher (Roger Oakley).

I know that Roger Oakley left voluntarily, but what about the others? Also, did I miss anyone?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he left of his own accord. I don't think they would have written Sam out by choice as he was quite an important character to the history of the show (if he'd stayed he could have become a legend like Sally).

I think (got no evidence to back this up) that Celia, Lance and Martin were all axed as the show was moving on in a new direction with new fresh faces. With Lance and Martin, although I really like them, it's understandable. They had done everything they could with the characters without starting to change them into shadows of their former selves. It felt like moving on was the next natural progression for those characters. Celia on the other hand, her exit was uncalled for and there was plenty they still could have done with her.

• 3 months later...

If you are watching the Early Years episodes, it's blatant to see that Floss and Neville just didn't fit into the show. Now, you could say OK, find them a way so they did fit into the show, but just looking at the last 30 episodes I've scene counted, Floss appears in 30 scenes, Neville a miserly 24. I mean Frank Lloyd might be pissed that he was axed from the show, but I don't think even he could sit and watch these recent episodes and say, hey, we're missing out on something not having Floss and Neville there. To anyone watching the decision to axe them, or at least take them off full time cast had they decided to make them recurring is quite simply unarguably the correct one.

But I liked How the McPhee's were like grandparents to Sally and the other kids. I really enjoyed having them on the show as they brought a nice community feeling and it would have been interesting to see how long they would have lasted if they had stayed.

I agree. I feel they did give something good to the show. They didn't need big dramas. Was just nice they were there.

They are also the only married couple in the show that have been together long enough to become grand parents. I really believed they were husband and wife and were still very much in love in the retirement.

I agree too. Ok Nev's place in the show was probably the least important or prominent and maybe getting rid of him and leaving Floss in the show would have been a better option. I really enjoyed her scenes and I miss her.

• 11 months later...

Craig Thomson threw in the towel as he felt Martin had nowhere left to go. Same with Peter Vroom.

I'm willing to estimate the producers of H&A had the same problem with Darius Perkins as the Neighbours ones did or he was just in it for a short-term basis. John Morris decided to leave. Alan was axed, much to the regret of the producers.

Ryan Clark basically wanted to pursue his true calling (the surf) and wound up on Bondi rescue.

Fiona Spence left of her own accord.

Not sure about Alison.

Archived