The Axe

Guest Snapp

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely think Tim left at the end of his first 3 year contract, whether or not he turned a second contract down, made known he would be leaving well before or was never offered one, I don't know.

No, it was Tim who turned down a new contract.

Just wondering - so many original characters left in 1990; Tom, Lance, Martin, Celia. Did they quit or did the producers decide their characters had run their course?

• 4 weeks later...

Well Floss and Neville were asked to leave... and when they were planned to return in 2000 for Sally's non wedding, the actor playing Neville refused over the way they were let go in 1989/1990, which is why his character was killed off to explain his absence. Perhaps the first case of ageism in the show? Not sure about Celia and Morag, I think Celia was also asked to leave. The show had quite a few adult characters at the start, although with a lot of children/teenagers, but in 1990 it seems to have changed its focus.

If you are watching the Early Years episodes, it's blatant to see that Floss and Neville just didn't fit into the show. Now, you could say OK, find them a way so they did fit into the show, but just looking at the last 30 episodes I've scene counted, Floss appears in 30 scenes, Neville a miserly 24. I mean Frank Lloyd might be pissed that he was axed from the show, but I don't think even he could sit and watch these recent episodes and say, hey, we're missing out on something not having Floss and Neville there. To anyone watching the decision to axe them, or at least take them off full time cast had they decided to make them recurring is quite simply unarguably the correct one.

The same can't be said for the 1990 cast exodus, however, not in my opinion anyway. Lost interest at that point alas; basically became a different show entirely.

Which is a bit of a cheat, really. It took Neighbours around 7-8 years to get to that point, H&A managed it in just over 2. :(

If you are watching the Early Years episodes, it's blatant to see that Floss and Neville just didn't fit into the show. Now, you could say OK, find them a way so they did fit into the show, but just looking at the last 30 episodes I've scene counted, Floss appears in 30 scenes, Neville a miserly 24. I mean Frank Lloyd might be pissed that he was axed from the show, but I don't think even he could sit and watch these recent episodes and say, hey, we're missing out on something not having Floss and Neville there. To anyone watching the decision to axe them, or at least take them off full time cast had they decided to make them recurring is quite simply unarguably the correct one.

But I liked How the McPhee's were like grandparents to Sally and the other kids. I really enjoyed having them on the show as they brought a nice community feeling and it would have been interesting to see how long they would have lasted if they had stayed.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't be surprised if Lincoln Lewis (Geoff) was axed from the show due to his off screen antics such as recording a sex tape on his mobile and showing cast members. Home and Away is a G rated program and things like this give the show a bad light.

Bobby Morley who played Drew was probably axed due to having problems with many cast mates. A few months before Drew's departure it was said in TV WEEK that the older cast members were upset by a younger cast member and they alerted Management about the individual and they were let go.

Helena Bozich who played Lynn in the early years of the show was let go by Producers. Her whereabouts is currently unknown. http://www.backtothebay.net/features/where...na-bozich.shtml

Tim Campbell who played Dan decided to leave the show after his contract expired. He has stated recently that he would be interested in returning to the show but nothing has been said since.

Jodi Gordon who played Martha was not kicked out the show. She chose to leave at the end of her contract. The reason she was not kicked was due to her large following of fans. When she told Producers that she was leaving, they begged her to stay but she decided to leave.

Archived