Belle/Aden

Cal

Yeah, I still haven't watched any episodes since the wedding. I don't want Belle to leave, and from what I've heard I'm not looking forward to Aden's grieving..

Good thing Norwegian television is 2 years behind AU. Here, Belle and Aden have not even started dating, which means I can watch their entire story once more on tv :D

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

^No offence but...seriously...I think watching stuff from back then demonstrates just how random a pairing Aden and Belle was, they were two characters who had known each other for years and not even registered on each other's radars, who just didn't have any thought about each other one way or the other apart from lofty disdain.Have you seen the one where he smashes her camera(indirectly)and she's left in tears?She forgot about that one by the time she was letting him into her bed...

although I think some of the relevant stuff's missing...

EDIT: They've got the "complete" episode at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhajTkNBgeQ...except either I remembered it wrong or they didn't restart the tape in time.I thought it came back from the commercial break to a brief shot of Belle holding her camera and crying while Drew hugs her.

Edited by Red Ranger 1

^No offence but...seriously...I think watching stuff from back then demonstrates just how random a pairing Aden and Belle was, they were two characters who had known each other for years and not even registered on each other's radars.Have you seen the one where he smashes her camera(indirectly)and she's left in tears?She forgot about that one by the time she was letting him into her bed...

although I think some of the relevant stuff's missing...

honestly..well... Things like this happen in real life a lot, especially when you are young. . And in the beginning she hurted him a lot, when she was ashamed of him, but when they learned to know each other better. And she wasn't exactly a very well behaved girl herself. She had always her eyes on bad-boys, Aden wasn't any worse than she was. There have been far more random pairings in H&A... And it would have been unrealistic if it had been Mathilda for instance, because she was much more of a good school girl. (Mathilda and Ric were far more unrealistic in my eyes. The lazy bad boy who didn't want to do anything with his life and Mathilda the very clever girl who wanted to study) Aden and Belle were also flirting for months before they really started dating and he ended up in her bed. I think that the build up and the first part of their relationship was really well done! It just started messy when they added Angelo into the mix. The build up to their relationship is one of the most realistic teen/young twenty relationship they have had on this show. The problem with this relationship is that the writers thought that people loved drama and it became overkill, even more than with Jack and Martha. It was unessecary to throw all the disasters at the same characters/couple: difficulties to deal with a rough childhood/abuse, breakdown, Belles involvement in the developement site/and the attack of her, her pill addiction, the storyline about the wedding ring, cancer and death. They were never given the chance to be happy (which was very common for that time period, late 2008 to mid 2009, all the characters were more or less victims of this) and that is a shame! And it became extremely tiring...

Balance between high emotional drama and more happier storylines is H&A biggest problem.

^Oh, I was trying to avoid being the last poster in this thread but, right to reply...I actually thought the beginning of Aden and Belle's relationship was really badly handled and it could have worked but, for me, and I accept I'm in the minority here, it didn't because they never put enough effort into it.Take Kane and Kirsty, who were quite possibly the most unlikely couple in the show's history. If you look at Kane's 2001 stint, the idea that those two would end up married seems preposterous: They never speak to each other the whole time he's on the show and don't even meet face to face until his last episode.But they gave them a storyline, showed them gradually becoming more comfortable with each other because of the situation they were in, so by the time she kissed him in the car you could accept "yeah, that could happen."

Personality issues aside, Ric and Matilda were kind of in the same place as Aden and Belle, in that he spent months tormenting her brother while she looked on disapprovingly from a distance, then he got given a personality transplant and suddenly everyone liked him.But it worked because you got that little scene where she's nice to him for the first time and he looks surprised and asks her why she's being nice to him.And she gives an answer, maybe not much of an answer, but good enough for me to believe in it.By the time they eventually got together, they'd been friends for a long time and I could believe in it.

Aden...It wasn't just a case of him being a bad boy, it was a case that for the whole of 2007 the entire regular cast despised him.Without exception.When it was first announced that he was joining the regular cast and there were rumours that either Matilda or Belle was going to get together with him, my first thought was that after years of them viewing him as nothing but a bully, they would need a lot of effort to make it convincing that they would suddenly change their opinion of him completely.(I always thought that it would have made a lot more sense to bring in someone new for Aden, someone who never knew him when he was a bully and could judge him purely on the person he'd become...but for some reason that idea never caught on.)Now...again, this is just my opinion but I never considered Aden and Belle's bickering to be "flirting", you could argue it was sexual tension even though I never saw any real chemistry between them.When Aden first climbed through Belle's window, her reaction just didn't ring true for me.Maybe I was missing the appeal but I felt she would have phoned Roman and let him know where Aden was, not just let him stay on the floor then rolled over and gone back to sleep only to wake up with him lying next to her half naked. When he then came round the next day, sneaked into her room a second time and just planted one on her, it felt like it just happened, there was no build up to it or anything.And then it was pretty much, okay, they're a couple and hey, aren't they great, kids?Actually, the real problem came weeks earlier, at the party, when Aden drags Axel off Belle and she, somewhat unfairly, blames him for everthing.And Aden, who frankly up until that point hasn't given two hoots what Belle thinks of him, looks as though she's just murdered his puppy.Fast forward a few moments and Belle realises that Aden's actually clearing up(his own house, note, not a purely charitable act)rather than causing mess and Matilda, with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer and in a complete non-sequitur, replies "I guess he must really like you."I'm sorry but that couldn't have been written worse if they'd just flashed up a caption saying "Oh, by the way, we're going to put Aden and Belle together in a few weeks."

Frankly, in the circumstances, being ashamed of him was the most realistic reaction Belle or anyone else had.No-one's response rang true.Irene, who only a few months earlier he was threatening to sue, gives a few disapproving looks and then just shrugs her shoulders and lets them get on with it, at exactly the same time that she was banning Annie and Jai from seeing each other.(That's before you even get onto her being so completely unfazed by Aden kidnapping Belle without any explanation that she lets them carry on working together.)Geoff and Annie make a few grumpy noises about Belle dating the boy who spent months tormenting them and then just get on with it.A few weeks later, Aden's patting Annie on the shoulder and she's smiling at him as if they're suddenly best friends, despite them never having spoken on screen since she was practically crying at the sight of them kissing on the beach.

It could have worked.It could have worked if they'd put some effort into it, if they'd given Belle a reason to change her opinion of Aden rather than suddenly deciding that even though he was still a jerk at least half the time and put a boy in hospital without any remorse he was hot so it didn't matter.But instead it felt they cut through all the believable character development and the storyline of two characters gradually reassessing their opinion of each other and instead expected us to go "Hey, they're really hot together!And they look really cute when he's crying on her shoulder!Who cares if it's completely out of character?"I'm sorry but I just never believed in any of it.

Edited by Red Ranger 1

^Oh, I was trying to avoid being the last poster in this thread but, right to reply...I actually thought the beginning of Aden and Belle's relationship was really badly handled and it could have worked but, for me, and I accept I'm in the minority here, it didn't because they never put enough effort into it.Take Kane and Kirsty, who were quite possibly the most unlikely couple in the show's history. If you look at Kane's 2001 stint, the idea that those two would end up married seems preposterous: They never speak to each other the whole time he's on the show and don't even meet face to face until his last episode.But they gave them a storyline, showed them gradually becoming more comfortable with each other because of the situation they were in, so by the time she kissed him in the car you could accept "yeah, that could happen."

Personality issues aside, Ric and Matilda were kind of in the same place as Aden and Belle, in that he spent months tormenting her brother while she looked on disapprovingly from a distance, then he got given a personality transplant and suddenly everyone liked him.But it worked because you got that little scene where she's nice to him for the first time and he looks surprised and asks her why she's being nice to him.And she gives an answer, maybe not much of an answer, but good enough for me to believe in it.By the time they eventually got together, they'd been friends for a long time and I could believe in it.

Aden...It wasn't just a case of him being a bad boy, it was a case that for the whole of 2007 the entire regular cast despised him.Without exception.When it was first announced that he was joining the regular cast and there were rumours that either Matilda or Belle was going to get together with him, my first thought was that after years of them viewing him as nothing but a bully, they would need a lot of effort to make it convincing that they would suddenly change their opinion of him completely.(I always thought that it would have made a lot more sense to bring in someone new for Aden, someone who never knew him when he was a bully and could judge him purely on the person he'd become...but for some reason that idea never caught on.)Now...again, this is just my opinion but I never considered Aden and Belle's bickering to be "flirting", you could argue it was sexual tension even though I never saw any real chemistry between them.When Aden first climbed through Belle's window, her reaction just didn't ring true for me.Maybe I was missing the appeal but I felt she would have phoned Roman and let him know where Aden was, not just let him stay on the floor then rolled over and gone back to sleep only to wake up with him lying next to her half naked. When he then came round the next day, sneaked into her room a second time and just planted one on her, it felt like it just happened, there was no build up to it or anything.And then it was pretty much, okay, they're a couple and hey, aren't they great, kids?Actually, the real problem came weeks earlier, at the party, when Aden drags Axel off Belle and she, somewhat unfairly, blames him for everthing.And Aden, who frankly up until that point hasn't given two hoots what Belle thinks of him, looks as though she's just murdered his puppy.Fast forward a few moments and Belle realises that Aden's actually clearing up(his own house, note, not a purely charitable act)rather than causing mess and Matilda, with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer and in a complete non-sequitur, replies "I guess he must really like you."I'm sorry but that couldn't have been written worse if they'd just flashed up a caption saying "Oh, by the way, we're going to put Aden and Belle together in a few weeks."

Frankly, in the circumstances, being ashamed of him was the most realistic reaction Belle or anyone else had.No-one's response rang true.Irene, who only a few months earlier he was threatening to sue, gives a few disapproving looks and then just shrugs her shoulders and lets them get on with it, at exactly the same time that she was banning Annie and Jai from seeing each other.(That's before you even get onto her being so completely unfazed by Aden kidnapping Belle without any explanation that she lets them carry on working together.)Geoff and Annie make a few grumpy noises about Belle dating the boy who spent months tormenting them and then just get on with it.A few weeks later, Aden's patting Annie on the shoulder and she's smiling at him as if they're suddenly best friends, despite them never having spoken on screen since she was practically crying at the sight of them kissing on the beach.

It could have worked.It could have worked if they'd put some effort into it, if they'd given Belle a reason to change her opinion of Aden rather than suddenly deciding that even though he was still a jerk at least half the time and put a boy in hospital without any remorse he was hot so it didn't matter.But instead it felt they cut through all the believable character development and the storyline of two characters gradually reassessing their opinion of each other and instead expected us to go "Hey, they're really hot together!And they look really cute when he's crying on her shoulder!Who cares if it's completely out of character?"I'm sorry but I just never believed in any of it.

well, sometimes you have to get over what happened in the past. And Aden did actually save Annies life when she got herself drunk!!! I do agree that this sue Irene thing was a bit-over the top and foolish but still, she had no right to hurt Aden the way she did. And everyone is innocent until the opposite is proven. The storyline about the kidnapping thing, well breakdown thing as I want to call it, would have been better if they had put Irene in Angelos role there. Irene should have been the one who talked to Belle afterwards and took care of her, not Angelo. And that would have given us a lot of Irene scenes. And the same with Geoff and Annie when they had a rough time, we didn't see enough of Irene! But that was very common in this period, and unfortunately also now. Have you seen Irene with Ruby this year?

And that Axle thing, unfortunately an another case of overkill, should never had been done as for Axle and Melody storyline - that was just 100 times worse (what did he actually do to her, only scared her... not right, but not very unusual), and then it was written like Axle didn't mean anything except from Jai... The killing of Axle was unessecary I think, could have been a random. But still not big things anyway... he was just a minor role. I believed everything about Aden and Belle in the beginning, it was a great storyline until the OC. I went off it when everything was made to be about Belle... and Aden drowned in Belle and all her problems - from the developement site to her cancer and death.

Well, well... they're both long gone. But I think they had their hights and lows, both as a couple and as seperate characters. Something I admired (about the writing those two characters) and something that I didn't like that much. But interesting to watch, even for a woman in her late thirties. Yupp.

Edited by jodlebirger

I think Kane and Kirsty worked, not just because of the Mirgini / saving Shelley's life storyline but because of the person Kirsty was. Kirsty was the kind of person who was sweet, kind hearted, well meaning, understanding and sympathetic enough to those from bad backrounds to believably forgive Kane for what he did, especially after he saved her mum's life. She was also the kind of person who was selfish, rebellious, stubborn, naive, immature and ignorant enough of the consequences of her actions to actually take it further than just forgiving him and pursue an inappropriate relationship with him. The real problem with that relationship came when they brought Kane back in 2003 as a completely different person. I never liked Rattie. As I said, KK worked because of who Kirsty was, but Ric and Matilda had serious believability issues for me. Matilda at the time was a total snob and I always found it ridiculous she would show even the slightest bit of interest or do anything but look down on scruffy, poor, rough around the edges Ric. Especially given the way he treated her brother. I totally agree with you about Aden and Belle. It was just so contrived. The whole thing just smacked of some writer realising that Belle's "group" (Ric, Drew, Lucas, Cassie etc) had all left the show and they couldn't think of anything else for her to do without them, so they had her start making googly eyes at a guy she alternated between hating and not noticing. And they couldn't think of a way to do it believably, so they just ignored that and threw them together out of nowhere. As for the part I bolded, gee you mean someone like Nicole? They should have got together from the beginning.