Belle/Aden

Cal

Regarding the speed at which people get over things, that's just soap writing I think. I found the stalkers outbreak we had a couple of years ago boring as hell as the stories were so slow moving. I know soaps are to some extent supposed to reflect real life but in some ways they aren't as well. Otherwise nothing would ever happen and what bad things do happen would be worse and no-one would want to watch it.

I wouldn't ever want H&A to be too realistic, it would take the fun out of watching it.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry to say, but i find the grieving from Aden not very well done. I don't blame Todd, he can pull anything given to him, off. But i find the writers did a terrible job. We saw Aden grieving for a few days, and then he goes on like normal. I am just disappointed, i expected more grieving scenes, or little comments or mention from him. The ones i found were very well done was Marthas because of Jack, and sorry to mention, but Declan in Neighbours. Those seemed more realistic, and not done and dusted like here with Aden.

Thank you, at least someone do agree with me!! :lol:

And he went from hell to heaven (if you understand what I mean) far too quickly. From grieving in his dead wifes bed to suddenly after an electric shock to become all smiles and joking. Some behaviour that is not extreme (as jumping in bed with someone) would have been good! for example he could have been remembering the times with her, walking along the beach and having flashbacks, talking to someone that he really misses Belle and so on... It doesn't have to be so extremely self-distructive actions.... I think that is what people are tired of, Characters in grief who are shutting others out, and sleeping with randoms.. We have seen that before with Tony. Grieving isn't about being self destructive all the time...

After that fight with Geoff which ended in the water, it was so unrealistic that he didn't mention the reason why he got so angry.. He could have been talking to Geoff about how much he really missses Belle and also try to get Geoff to understand. It is different to loose a friend (yes a friend, Belle was never Geoffs sister!!)from loosing a wife/girlfriend. And Aden could have been understanding that the others also miss Belle... Everyone has a right to grieve, that is different from stop living... It takes some time to get over things..

Edited by jodlebirger

I am sorry to say, but i find the grieving from Aden not very well done. I don't blame Todd, he can pull anything given to him, off. But i find the writers did a terrible job. We saw Aden grieving for a few days, and then he goes on like normal. I am just disappointed, i expected more grieving scenes, or little comments or mention from him. The ones i found were very well done was Marthas because of Jack, and sorry to mention, but Declan in Neighbours. Those seemed more realistic, and not done and dusted like here with Aden.

Thank you, at least someone do agree with me!! :lol:

And he went from hell to heaven (if you understand what I mean) far too quickly. From grieving in his dead wifes bed to suddenly after an electric shock to become all smiles and joking. Some behaviour that is not extreme (as jumping in bed with someone) would have been good! for example he could have been remembering the times with her, walking along the beach and having flashbacks, talking to someone that he really misses Belle and so on... It doesn't have to be so extremely self-distructive actions.... I think that is what people are tired of, Characters in grief who are shutting others out, and sleeping with randoms.. We have seen that before with Tony. Grieving isn't about being self destructive all the time...

After that fight with Geoff which ended in the water, it was so unrealistic that he didn't mention the reason why he got so angry.. He could have been talking to Geoff about how much he really missses Belle and also try to get Geoff to understand. It is different to loose a friend (yes a friend, Belle was never Geoffs sister!!)from loosing a wife/girlfriend. And Aden could have been understanding that the others also miss Belle... Everyone has a right to grieve, that is different from stop living... It takes some time to get over things..

I agree it is unrealaistic and now the tv week suggests he is having feelings for nic or something.

But lets not forget, Todd is just acting how the writers have written him, so if you want to blame anyone, blame the writers for this... I dont like the fact that Aden slept with another girl (if tht is what he actually did) and I dont like the fact he is now all happy snaps and smiles... not even martha was this happy just two months after losing jack...

Yes that's the thing with Soap Writers, some storylines they like to explore it in depth other storylines like say Aden going to counselling sessons, they like to edit the bits out they don't think is neccessary. But then some people will get upset by that, that they didn't explore it in alot of depth. Sometimes they need to shorten the storyline because they have other things in mind in terms of the storyline.

I don't think it's the characters fault (even though they aren't real :lol:) It's the writers. They are the ones who decide to cut short certain scenes, and they chose what is shown and what isn't (like more than one counselling sesson say at the clinic for Aden).

As we said a couple of pages back, they have a nasty habit of having a character react in an extreme manner because they think it's exciting, then just flicking a switch and saying "Over now."As happens way too often in soap, they decided to signify that Aden was grieving by turning him into someone it was very hard to like.We didn't need to see him sitting at home wallowing, getting drunk and living in a pigsty, having sex with a random woman(which is clearly what we're meant to think happened, whether they said it or not), getting involved with an abalone racket just for the sake of it and shouting at, shutting out and slamming the door on everyone that cared for him.We just needed to see that he was sad, that he'd lost a big part of his life and missed her.

But as everyone says, at the end of the day Aden's a fictional character and whatever some viewers might think they want an Aden who spends the rest of his time on the show sitting in a corner moping about his dead wife wouldn't make for interesting television and wouldn't be much use to the writers.

As we said a couple of pages back, they have a nasty habit of having a character react in an extreme manner because they think it's exciting, then just flicking a switch and saying "Over now."As happens way too often in soap, they decided to signify that Aden was grieving by turning him into someone it was very hard to like.We didn't need to see him sitting at home wallowing, getting drunk and living in a pigsty, having sex with a random woman(which is clearly what we're meant to think happened, whether they said it or not), getting involved with an abalone racket just for the sake of it and shouting at, shutting out and slamming the door on everyone that cared for him.We just needed to see that he was sad, that he'd lost a big part of his life and missed her.

But as everyone says, at the end of the day Aden's a fictional character and whatever some viewers might think they want an Aden who spends the rest of his time on the show sitting in a corner moping about his dead wife wouldn't make for interesting television and wouldn't be much use to the writers.

yeah, but why do everybody want Rachel to have PND for months (Harry was actually born some time before Belle died)??? I think that they could have given him some more time before he was ready to move on, well his recovery should have started earlier and the prosess should have been more slow... well sometimes when people are grieving they do choose bad ways to dealing with it... a lot of times when you are not able to deal with something, your behaviour isn't good at all and shutting people out is not unrealistic, its very common. And also in character for Aden, as he has not been a person who easily confide in others about his thoughts and feelings. I think it was good to se him sitting home sad and alone, but the drinking and the girl and the drinking was unessesary - they took his actions too far!! Abalone racket was Ok too, he had nothing to do and was desperate to have something to distract him from his grief. But they usually do this to grieving characters, as an example - it happened to Tony too (he had sex with some randoms) But as I have said in an another post, he could have been walking around to places and thinking about Belle (flashbacks). Now as it has passed two months since she died he could have been talking about her to Nicole or to others.

No, I don't want Aden to sit in a corner for the rest of his days on the show, but he could had another storylines than love interests.. Bring back Larry or a brother... And when they did do the drinking scenes they (writers) could have brought up his father. Morag could have mentioned him, or Nicole.... because this was actually the same thing as Larry did... drown his sorrow for his wife in alcohol (and as a consequence his sons were sexually abused). That would have rounded Adens character more, and it could have been a wake up call that he needed.

yeah, but why do everybody want Rachel to have PND for months (Harry was actually born some time before Belle died)??? I think that they could have given him some more time before he was ready to move on, well his recovery should have started earlier and the prosess should have been more slow... well sometimes when people are grieving they do choose bad ways to dealing with it... a lot of times when you are not able to deal with something, your behaviour isn't good at all and shutting people out is not unrealistic, its very common. And also in character for Aden, as he has not been a person who easily confide in others about his thoughts and feelings. I think it was good to se him sitting home sad and alone, but the drinking and the girl and the drinking was unessesary - they took his actions too far!! Abalone racket was Ok too, he had nothing to do and was desperate to have something to distract him from his grief. But they usually do this to grieving characters, as an example - it happened to Tony too (he had sex with some randoms) But as I have said in an another post, he could have been walking around to places and thinking about Belle (flashbacks). Now as it has passed two months since she died he could have been talking about her to Nicole or to others.

No, I don't want Aden to sit in a corner for the rest of his days on the show, but he could had another storylines than love interests.. Bring back Larry or a brother... And when they did do the drinking scenes they (writers) could have brought up his father. Morag could have mentioned him, or Nicole.... because this was actually the same thing as Larry did... drown his sorrow for his wife in alcohol (and as a consequence his sons were sexually abused). That would have rounded Adens character more, and it could have been a wake up call that he needed.

I agree it's been in character for Aden but maybe that's part of the problem.We've had lots of scenes in the past of him getting angry, getting drunk and shutting people out(as Nicole pointed out a while back, for someone who hated his father's alcoholism he gets smashed an awful lot).I'd have preferred something subtler and deeper rather than more of the same.Same with the abalone, it was understandable but I could have done without another example of him breaking the law without any consequences and not being bothered about it.Maybe once the flashpoint has passed we should have had a more subtle portrayal of grief.Haven't seen the episodes so can't really comment but that would be preferable to it being non-existent.

The issue that I have with Aden's 'grieving' process is that it doesnt seem like him to do that. Normally I would have thought that he would be really violent and lash out at everyone but he just seems to be closing himself off more and more and while Todd can pull it off. Its not what I thought he would have done but then again, everyone has their own opinions of how characters should grieve.