Ruby Buckton - Rebecca Breeds

Eli

^ It's more that they have failed to write her as a character. As someone posted somewhere on here recently (can't remember where) the complete lack of focus on the reasons behind Ruby's awful behaviour have ruined her character. She goes from obsession to obsession with no sense of realism behind it. i can't STAND her and I skip all her scenes. I feel terrible for Rebecca Breeds.

I'm beginning to re-like her again.

I loved her in 2008 (I know she only did like. have a year but still) and in 2009 also. Well, up until she sided with Grant over Charlie about Charlie's rape. I can understand Why Ruby didn't want to believe it, but out of someone she had known her whole life compared to a stranger :angry:

I began to warm to her again in the 09 season finale, and most of this year I've loved her. He and Charlie's relationship seemed to be going good and strong again, but then (the :angry: writers have gone and practically Runined her! She's whingy and won't take the advice she's been given, grr. And is just... grr!

2011 she had better go back to the old Ruby that I loved and her relationship with Charlie back on track, like it was early on this year where they spoke, enjoyed each others company and when Ruby wasn't pining over an older guy, getting herself into a low over the fact that they weren't interested in her!

So, there is still a chance for Ruby to betolerated next year, but only if the writers realise that Ruby is -was- a character that people loved. And her relationship/dynamic with Charlie was something great to watch. I miss the realtionship, even though -occasionally- its been seen through a few episodes -but not enough to compensate-

Come on writers!

her relationship/dynamic with Charlie was something great to watch. I miss the realtionship, even though -occasionally- its been seen through a few episodes -but not enough to compensate-

Come on writers!

See I dont think the Charlie/Ruby mother/daughter relationship has worked ever becuase the writing just hasn't been up to scratch. The whole storyline wasn't character driven, it was event driven. The event being we found out/they found out...and then it faded into insignificance unrealistically. Like I said, it wasn't character focused. It should have been a major turning point for bother characters and we should have seen over the past year how both are affected by the situation but we haven't. Even the last couple of weeks of 2010 where Charlie is telling her what to do etc its not written from the characters angle, its more lets create friction out of no where and have Charlie suddenly act like a mother.

I wish they hadn't even gone there with the two of them as some others have said, they worked better as sisters and the storyline hasn't done anything for the characters so there wasn't any point.

• 3 weeks later...

It's curious that as I look back on Ruby I do wonder if I ever liked her as much as I thought I did. She started out as a fun and lively character but as early as her cruel treatment of Matthew Lyons I found myself disliking her.(It seemed to be one of those occasions when we were expected to automatically side with the main character, even though she was out of order.)And I was never really sold on her relationship with Xavier, which in retrospect seems to be the first sign of her obsessive attitude towards guys, as she relentlessly pursued him even though he had a girlfriend and even gatecrashed his cousin's funeral to see him.It didn't help that I didn't really like Xavier at the time.

But all that aside, I did like her quite a lot of the time up until the Grant storyline where, not for the last time, she stirred up a lot of trouble without thinking of the consequences.Throughout the last half of 2009 and during 2010, I found myself not really liking her.I was starting to get a bit more sympathy for Xavier by that point and wasn't really keen on the way she seemed to treat him as a stopgap when there was no-one she liked better around.You did still get the occasional spark of the old Ruby, usually in scenes with Nicole or Charlie, but mostly she just came across as self-centred brat with an increasingly unjustified high opinion of herself.

I'm hoping that the shift towards a more family-oriented side of the character near the end of 2010 is a sign that she's turned a corner and we're going to see more of the less annoying side to her.She'd probably be better off staying single, since she was at her best in the early days of 2008 when she didn't have a real love interest and relationships don't really seem to bring out the best in her, but sadly I doubt they'd do that.

• 2 months later...

Why is it that when a character, in this case Ruby, behaves badly or becomes unlikeable there are calls for them to leave or be thrown off the show. Badly behaved people or people with character flaws are a part of life and surely as such they have a place on the show

Why is it that when a character, in this case Ruby, behaves badly or becomes unlikeable there are calls for them to leave or be thrown off the show. Badly behaved people or people with character flaws are a part of life and surely as such they have a place on the show

What a sensible post, John. I like to see unlikeable characters for just that reason. Makes me feel better about not being perfect myself. I remember years ago Home and Away was filled with smiley, happy characters who never had real feelings, but about the time they changed the way it was filmed (2003 according to Wikipedia), the characters also became more realistic.

Ruby isnt perfect, she is human. If everyone is portrayed as perfect or either good or bad, then the show would be very boring and monontonous. I just want Ruby to stop running after Mr Right and wait for him whoever he is to come to her!

I certainly don't want Ruby to leave(although, given that she's been on the show nearly three years, I do wonder how much longer she'll be around for).I guess, like a lot of the characters on the show, she could do with being better defined.Maybe her current storyline is intended as the culmination of a whole host of storylines where she latches onto guys to make herself feel better and it's going to result in her coming to some sort of realisation about her behaviour.

Although, given that she's apparently going to end up with Casey, I'm worried it'll be more a case of "This time it worked" rather than her actually learning anything.

Flawed characters can make very enjoyable viewing and there are a number of flawed characters that I do enjoy watching largely because they're flawed but it needs to be attached to some sort of character development otherwise you're just left with a character constantly making the same mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not like Ruby when she first started however due to her recent storylines, she is one of my favourite characters on the show. Her character is fresh and exciting to watch. She is not perfect and makes mistakes. As a viewer, I feel sorry for her and it makes me want to watch her more

I am sorry I know that she does have her fans, but Ruby is the most unlikeable character ever.

Its actually getting to the stage were I have to leave the room when she on screen.

What really gets me about H & A is that they are scared to do a proper gay story (that disaster between Charlie and Joey does not count, as it was an insult). Yet they have all the young girls basically being slappers with Ruby being the worst.

I actually find it very insulting that no girl can actually manage not to have a relationship, but feels that they are only complete is if they have a man in their lives.

What century do these writers live in.