Ruby Buckton - Rebecca Breeds

Eli

Who else thinks that when ever Ruby and Romeo leave the show, they will leave together? I mean didn't a psychic say they were soul mates? Maybe it will happen....

I think I read somewhere though that Rebecca and Luke were adamant that their characters' relationship would not mirror their own personal relationship, which I can completely understand and approve of.

It is almost too easy though for Ruby and Romeo to get together... I'd say they would get together and then realise that they are not as good together as they thought they would be. At least then the temptation would be gone...

I think the whole "They're soul mates" thing was largely Ruby's interpretation but it may still happen.I know Rebecca and Luke said they didn't want their characters to get together(although they've been a bit quiet on that front recently..?)but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.There was a time on Coronation Street when an actor saying "I don't want my character to end up with X"(including someone's real-life partner)was practically a guarantee it was going to happen.

• 2 months later...

I am so frustrated with the writers at the moment because in the past year or two, I think they have really destroyed Ruby's character and left her open to a lot of dislike from the viewers.

I remember for years, I really loved her. I loved her friendship with Annie/Jai/Geoff and her relationship with Charlie. She was always this happy, cheerful, carefree girl that just pretty much took things as she saw them and accepted it.

Now obviously a person is going to change with age but since when did she become this person who has to be in a relationship all the time, and is going after other girls' partners.

I can barely remember where her obsession with Romeo came from... I think sometimes Ruby sees a person being nice to her as being in love with her, and then she pursues them with such gusto. There was that obsession with Liam and then with Romeo, who were really only being nice to her if I can remember rightfully.

A lot has change for Ruby since Charlie's death obviously, and she probably feels very alone in the world, but I think she needs to realise that she doesn't need a man in her life to feel that she is being loved. I know that she would feel even more loved if she had a big group of friends than a boyfriend. But in her pursuit to have a man in her life, she is infact hurting her friends and alienating them.

Ruby is digging such a big hole for herself at the moment, I'm not sure whether she's going to be able to climb out of it

before she leaves the Bay!

I am so frustrated with the writers at the moment because in the past year or two, I think they have really destroyed Ruby's character and left her open to a lot of dislike from the viewers.

I remember for years, I really loved her. I loved her friendship with Annie/Jai/Geoff and her relationship with Charlie. She was always this happy, cheerful, carefree girl that just pretty much took things as she saw them and accepted it.

Now obviously a person is going to change with age but since when did she become this person who has to be in a relationship all the time, and is going after other girls' partners.

I can barely remember where her obsession with Romeo came from... I think sometimes Ruby sees a person being nice to her as being in love with her, and then she pursues them with such gusto. There was that obsession with Liam and then with Romeo, who were really only being nice to her if I can remember rightfully.

A lot has change for Ruby since Charlie's death obviously, and she probably feels very alone in the world, but I think she needs to realise that she doesn't need a man in her life to feel that she is being loved. I know that she would feel even more loved if she had a big group of friends than a boyfriend. But in her pursuit to have a man in her life, she is infact hurting her friends and alienating them.

Ruby is digging such a big hole for herself at the moment, I'm not sure whether she's going to be able to climb out of it

before she leaves the Bay!

I haven't seen this, I am a big bite behind you, but I have read a lot on this page and I know what's happened. And I don't think the writers have destroyed her...

Is it strange that she has changed and is behaving badly...???? I think it would have been far worse if the writers have just let her move on easily.. Yes, she was a happy girl when she came in, even she was still mourning the death of the person she had always seen as her mother (her grandmother)

But after that a lot has happened.., and Ruby might not have had the right support she needed. Because through Ruby's four years on the show she has been through this:

Her father (the person she saw as her father) got Alzheimer

She got a boyfriend (xavier) to support her, her sister (charlie) was too busy with other things.

She learned that her sister was her real mother and her parents were her grandparents and she was a result of a horrible criminal act

She got diabetes

She had a hard time to accept all this but it was always about charlies feelings and not really about her....

Her real father was a rapist, and she saw her real mother torture him, and later he was murdered by her grandfather - the person who actually was like a father to her.

She got a boyfriend to help her through this (Geoff) but he left her suddenly.

She went to the bottle and had a crush on her teacher (Liam), and her mother (sister) was too busy with her boyfriend to really help her out...

She finally recovered from this, when her mother suddenly realised that she needed help and she was back again with her old boyfriend again (Xavier) and he gave her some support

She and her boyfriend broke up.

She lost the person she always had seen as her father (grandfather)

She went downhill again, and again her mother/sister was too busy with her love interest and work, to notice.

She got interest in Romeo and he and his girlfriend had big problems. He told ruby that he and his girlfriend was over. They slept together and he went back to his girlfriend. Ruby got the blame for the whole thing, when Indi got hurt.

She then was a victim for cyber bullying and everybody were like "she got what she deserved"

Her mother then tried to gave her some kind of support, it was not enough but it helped a little.

Then she met casey and he gave her support and the feeling to be loved.

Then the parts I haven't seen but just read about:

She looses Charlie, and she is now without family

Her boyfriend chosed to support his brother instead of her.

Morag tried to support her a little, but she send her back to Summerbay

Her housmate (Leah) chosed to support the guy and not her, who in a way was to blame for her mothers death.... because of his lifestyle

A lot of others in the town (Elijah) also supported Brax instead.

Some people/characters might have tried to help her a little (Roo?) but I got a feeling that it was to little and half hearted of what I read in the Synopses on the offical site...and the comments here.

Then the man she has always been a little interested in assures her that he and his wife are over and he promise to be with her, she felt happy a little moment until he started showing more intererest in his wife again and she understands that she is going too loose him and he again only used her to feel better about himself. Then she gets desperate, she feels that no one else who is there for her... so she gets terrified to be completely lost and alone and she tells him the lie about a pregnancy...

Leah who never stood by her side when she needed her the most, suddenly turns up and tells her what to do, and the right thing of course... but still... too late Leah...

Romeo dumps her...Again she is blamed for everything by some, and even if Leah is comforting her a little it isn't enough, everybody is busy with their own things and Ruby really needs a lot of help... without that she is sinking deeper and deeper...

I think it is ok for the writers to do such a storyline if they are showing that Rubys reaction is also a result of too little support from the community... They need to make the other characters to realize that. I was hoping of such reactions from the others earlier on, even in (australian) 2010 season when she had her drinking problem. But it didn't happen then. I hope that this storyline which will air in my country about 18-19 months from now (if H&A still is on by then), will lead to a stronger community feeling, and making the characters supporting each other much more.

This is a oppositie situation than we had with the character who left my screen very early this year, Aden. He had a lot of support from the community, Roman, Nicole, Miles, Irene, Rachel and so on. And then in the end it was made out that he hadn't changed for the better at all... very sad that the writers are downplaying the community like that. He should have left like a changed and happy man. The writers have a strong tendency to destroy the meaning of community feeling, it is about more than chatting at the diner!

I think it is ok for the writers to write her this way, if they are showing that all she need is actually a lot of help! I hope that the storyline about Ruby will show more what lack of support from the community can do to you, and then make the community stronger. What happens to her should lead to some regrets by Romeo for his actions, and also make the others realize that they didn't support her enough. But I have a feeling that they will just make Ruby a villain and then make the most pointless drama out of it, and nothings going to change in the Bay.

Sorry for the very long post. I hope you understand what I really want to say.

Edited by jodlebirger

It's odd that I disliked Ruby for much of 2009 and 2010 but the last eighteen months, when it's suddenly become trendy to do so, I find myself liking and feeling sorry for her.It feels like the whole reason the writers paired her with Romeo was to "prove" that they don't work as a couple and he should be with Indi but it's hard to see Romeo and Indi as meant to be just because they sleep with other people to prove a point or out of spite and then dump them.Whilst I haven't liked a lot of things Ruby's done since the beginning of last year, I can't bring myself to dislike her and I fully understand that she's had all these dreams of a future with Romeo, which he's fed with constant half-hearted reassurances, only to have it ripped out from under her when he decides he's had enough.I agree with jodlebirger's post above:She's been constantly used and abandoned by the people she loves and lost pretty much everything, so it's entirely understandable she's at rock bottom.And I do sincerely hope that she ends up getting the help she needs rather than being portrayed as a problem to be got rid of.

I agree with you, jodlebirger. What you typed in your post was well-said. I don't hate Ruby because she's my favourite character. But I didn't like how she stormed into Grant's house (after she tracked him down) and yelled at him in front of his family.

I believe she thought she had the perfect family when she was younger-loving parents and a big sister. But no, she later finds out her whole life was a lie after discovering her sister was in fact, her real mum and her parents was her grandparents, her real father was a horrible guy.

Let me quote something from her wiki page...but I know it won't sound true, but I am curious and thought I should quote it here, that's all... It just explains about the shock storyline of her finding out Charlie is her mother. I had posted it in the 'ruby or indi pregnant' topic in the spoiler section a month ago. Here is what I quoted from her wiki page;

This had subsequent effects in her character development. She became out of place and confused about her life. It destroyed her trust in Charlie and their relationship never recovered. Ruby went on a journey of self discovery and used men to redefine herself.

I can understand why Ruby was acting like this when she faked the pregnancy to keep Romeo close to her. I am up to Episode 5551 tomorrow evening here in NZ

-the one when Leah finds out Ruby is lying about the pregnancy...

Ruby just wanted to be loved and wanted because she got no one in her life so now her mother's gone. After seeing the pictures on the offical site for next week-

I wonder if Casey will reject her when she tries to kiss him next week in Friday's episode in Australia

Edited by ~JarlieFanEver~

I have just rewatched the reveal of Ruby's fake pregnancy to Romeo......especially the conversation between Ruby and Leah which was tense and beautifully played by the actresses "Leah: what happened to the kind-hearted girl I used to know; Ruby: maybe she died with my mother" - this is what the last 6 months have been hinting at and after watching this and thinking about the last 4 yrs and what she has been through, I think we are just about to lose another amazing summer bay character - one of desperation, full of loneliness (which actually I don't think has been done in the soap before or not acted in this way so kudos for the creativity of the writers for once in a lifetime and utilising a great character) - just wanted to say that Rebecca Breeds is a brilliant actress, one of the best they have got and will be sad to lose her.

[Now even a higher proportion of summer bay's characters will be full of Braxtons/criminals (thats what they are) - have too much hatred for selfish Brax, hope his character is killed off soon....but we will probably get a funeral with the whole of the community weeping even though he introduced criminal activities into the bay...he's not even there to support Ruby - if he really loved Charlie, he wouldn't abandon her daughter!...]

Edited by lucky999

I can't say I have any sympathy for Ruby at all. I love how she has blamed her current behaviour on her mother's death, when really, she was just as bad before Charlie died. Even when she first came to the bay, she was irritating. She's a spiteful, selfish, spoiled brat - always has been, always will be.

(However, yes, I will agree that Rebecca's acting is impeccable and personally my favourite on the whole show. It's such a shame it was wasted on a character I hate so much.)

I liked the character of Ruby from her arrival in 2008 to about mid to late 2009 when she found out Charlie was her mother and not her sister as she thought. Ever since that discovery, Ruby has just become more obnoxious and annoying as each day passes.

I can't say I have any sympathy for Ruby at all. I love how she has blamed her current behaviour on her mother's death, when really, she was just as bad before Charlie died. Even when she first came to the bay, she was irritating. She's a spiteful, selfish, spoiled brat - always has been, always will be.

(However, yes, I will agree that Rebecca's acting is impeccable and personally my favourite on the whole show. It's such a shame it was wasted on a character I hate so much.)

Well try to see her an another way! I think it is very easy to understand why ruby is acting like she does. Look at my and RR1 posts above. Charlies dead was not the turning point and the hardest thing that has happened to Ruby. It was the final straw loosing her and also experience that others didn't support her and some also used her. I think that the turning point when she started to go downward was the the storyline when she found out that Charlie was her real mother and she was a result of a rape. She found out that all the people she cared about, and was her family had lied to her, nobody were like she thought they were and she was a result of a horrible violent act from a stranger. She was actually the unwanted child from the beginning. It was after that she started to have these obsessive crush on others just a screem about help and need for someone to show her that they really love her. That is the reason why she was fine when she was in a relationship and fell apart when it was over.

It is very easy to understand what ruby does, even if it not acceptable actions.I am not saying that she does need to be excused for her actions. But she doesn't only need to be told what to do or not, she need really some deep unconditionally love to show her that she has a place and meaning in this life.

I am many months behind you in storylines, but I am reading on this and the OS page every day just because I am curious so I know what has happened, and I actually think that Ruby is one of the most defined characters on the show. You can understand her actions because what has happened to her and she still is very young, and you can also think what she is going to do...But a lot of the others seem to change personality very often. It is hard to tell how old they are meant to be, because one day they are behaving and written as teenagers and the next they are not. Some of them are told to be kind characters, but is that what the viewers are seeing. One day some is a snobby, resptectable teacher and now she is dating a gang leader without no goal in his life.....

But Ruby is ruby, even if she could have developed more - it is great to read that they haven't suddenly changed her personality over night as they have done with others, or writing her as she hasn't a personality at all.

Edited by jodlebirger

I get the feeling I'm really not going to be liking Leah in the upcoming episodes:It seems like she's barged back into Ruby's life, after months of neglecting her and after leaving her on her own in a caravan while she made eyes at Brax, purely so she can be judgemental and make her feel as worthless as possible.Yeah, that's really what Charlie would want.It seems we're faced with another case of a vulnerable teenager being mistreated and neglected by everyone and finally snapping, at which point instead of examining their own behaviour they all just blame her and treat her like an outcast.