Ruby Buckton - Rebecca Breeds

Eli

I cannot believe her as a teenager any more. She looks like a university graduate, and she behaves like one too. I'd love if Morag gave her the verbal thrashing of a lifetime and put her in her place.

Seriously? She might look like a uni graduate but she behaves more like a 12 year old.

I agree that Ruby certainly seems like a teenager, I'd hardly consider her an adult.(As someone noted on another thread, it does seem like the age barrier between the show's teens has broken down a bit and they all act like they're the same age.I don't think there's been one comment on the age gap between Geoff and Ruby and the fact she's his sister's best friend.)I also agree that I'd quite like someone to tell her a few home truths at one point.

Thinking about an earlier comment about her staying single, she was actually single for most of 2008 and that's when I liked her the most, up until the last week or so when Xavier turned up she hadn't had a whiff of love interest(except for Pat but they got rid of him pretty quickly...oh and Matthew but that didn't really go anywhere...you know what I'm saying).I didn't like those two together and while I thought her and Geoff would make a good couple, they haven't really, they just seem to veer from dull to okay to annoying.So I really would like to see her single for a while and just hanging out with her friends instead of hanging off some guy.Unfortunately no-one stays single for long in soap world.

I cannot believe her as a teenager any more. She looks like a university graduate, and she behaves like one too. I'd love if Morag gave her the verbal thrashing of a lifetime and put her in her place.

Seriously? She might look like a uni graduate but she behaves more like a 12 year old.

Well her actual behaviour is immature and like that of a teenager, but her attitude is very grown up. She just swans about the place like she is free to do whatever she pleases without ever seeking anyone's permission. Sorry, I didn't get my point across properly.

• 4 weeks later...

I think over the last couple of episodes shown over here I've finally got a handle on who Ruby is:She's woefully naive, incredibly idealistic and completely arrogant, which is a very dangerous combination.It seems as though whenever she sees something that she thinks is wrong, she takes it upon herself to sort it out, without really understanding the situation or thinking about the consequences of her actions. Hence her tracking down Grant to somehow make him pay for raping Charlie, giving Charlie a false alibi and now stirring things up with the refugees, all of which had disastrous consequences.

Yeah but the reason Ruby probably acts so grown up is because she grew up in a family unit that is much older than her. The closer person in age to her is 14 years older than she is. Maybe if she'd had a sibling or some family memeber around her age group she might have turned out to be more like other teenagers who don't try to act grown up and don't apologise for their brash decisions or immature actions.

I get that Ruby has a very naive view on the world. But she grew up being overprotected by her cop family. She's never really known how dangerous or repulsive reality can be. She may not always have the best ideas and a lot of the time she neglects to think about the consequences of her actions, but at the same time, her intentions are always good. They might not be the best laid out plans and yeah, sometimes they can come off as being selfish but when she's doing something she's doing it for the right reasons.

When Ruby went to find Grant she wanted to find out who her biological father was. She wanted him to pay for what he did to Charlie. It was a bad idea but on the other side of it, she wasn't getting straight answers from Charlie or Ross. It was inevitable that a curious teenager was going to start seeking out answers from elsewhere.

Or when she stole the drugs out of Xaviers locker and tried to wash them down the drain. Yes she should have gone to the principal or Charlie but again her intentions were good. She was only trying to keep Xavier out of trouble. Even after she told him that Freya was dangerous for him.

And the whole race riot. OK, Ruby pushed John Plamer far too much and she was being very reckless going around calling him a racist. But as for raising money for the refugees, that's something you wouldn't find a lot of 16 year olds bothering to do outside of school. She genuinly wanted to help. The race riots were not Ruby's fault. She didn't provoke a bunch of drunken idiots to beat up Hazem or burn down the diner. They did that of their own racist accord. It was just an unfortunate coincidence that it happened when it did.

As for Geoff being off with her. He needs to stop feeling sorry for himself. When Ruby started campaigning Geoff was more than happy to support the cause. I didn't see him turning around saying no to her. When the beam came down in the diner, he didn't have to jump in front of it, he chose to jump in front of it. If he has a nasty scar it's his own problem not everyone elses. If he has a problem with what happened that night, their his issues, not Ruby's. And the fact he said he's sick of Ruby calling him or texting all the time asking how his shoulder is...well that's really annoying considering he spent sooooooooooooooooooooooo much time nagging her about her diabetes.

Ruby's not perfect, but that doesn't mean she's a bad person. She just needs to find her way back to the old Ruby we all loved.

I think the problem with Ruby is she's nowhere near as grown up as she thinks she is.I don't think it's the result of her family being overprotective, they packed her off to a boarding school where she copped off with the janitor and got expelled, which seems a pretty good education.It's all right saying she has good intentions but what's the road to hell paved with?When people are killed or injured as a result of her actions, there's a little thing called personal responsibility she needs to check out.

I can understand Ruby wanting to know about her biological father but finding out his name and seeing his photograph should have been enough.She finds out her mother was raped and decides she wants to meet the person responsible?Not because she wants to get to know him or hear his side but just so she can go storming into her house and spout off at him?Is that really the behaviour of a sane person? As a result of what she did, her family went through hell and her father/grandfather ended up on a murder charge.

Same with taking the drugs from Xavier's locker.Instead of talking to him and learning that he was actually on top of the situation and wasn't planning to get involved in dealing again, she took a course of action that led to him being beaten up.

And yes, she sparked off the race riots.Maybe it would have happened at a different time and in a different way but she gave them a focus.She made Hazem a target and she made the Diner a target. The collection was a good idea, although given the opinions some people held she possibly could have gone about it better, but her reaction afterwards was telling, she was expecting her big gesture to make everything all right and was disappointed when it wasn't.She organised the rally expecting the majority to agree with her, only for the majority to not bother turning up and a group of racist thugs to decide to express their own opinion.She wasn't entirely to blame, there were a few adults, notably Irene, who should have known better than to set off a powderkeg like that, but she was the driving force.She even enflamed the situation at the surf club by getting on her soap box with John when he was actually trying to defuse things, prompting Mink to turn things violent.As for saying that it was Geoff's own fault that he was hurt and he could have let that beam hit her...is anyone seriously expecting him to do that?She placed herself in danger by running out like that and she placed Geoff in danger by needing him to save her.Geoff's behaviour about her diabetes was different:He was being practical and trying to make sure she didn't land herself in hospital again(which she did).Ruby, I suspect, just wants him to tell her that everything's all right and he doesn't blame her.

I really like Ruby to be honest. At the start, i'll admit, i didn't like her one bit. The whole 'appearing with a boyfriend' thing just wasn't my cup of tea but she's grown as a character and been in some fantastic storylines which has made me change my mind about her. I guess when new characters turn up nobody likes them for the fact that they're new and different and you don't know what they're going to be like. Some characters stay that way and you end up not liking them one bit however, Ruby's character didn't do that. Throughout her storylines like Charlie being her mother and her love interests like Xavier or Geoff, i have really began to warm to her and i am now glad that she was brought into Home And Away. :D