2023 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I strongly agree that this is partly on Rose.  Had Leah been charged, they would have been forced to get her help (Although I do think the advice Rose gave Justin to not go after Leah was sound).  Regardless, Leah's insanity continues.  I actually really enjoyed her in the episode and thought the acting was top notch.  I loved the way the camera zoomed into her face during various scenes, the background music and sounds they played and how they adjusted the tone of the voices of some of the other characters when her paranoia kicked in.  "He's working with Vita Nova".  Theo's reaction to this, particularly in the police station was priceless.

Part of me has a sense of satisfaction from seeing Alf having to manage things and constantly get involved in the Surf Club since John's resignation.  Alf hasn't been anywhere near as unlikable as he was prior to that.  The only thing is, presumably when John decides reclaim his job, he's going to be so smug about it.  Looking at how well John had everything in order, it just highlights a problem with a lot of roles people have that when you only have one person that does certain things, should anything happen to them, it becomes extremely problematic.

Leah is suddenly a lot more reasonable.Having decided everyone was against her last episode, she suddenly snaps back to trusting Theo, so everything can be quickly closed down and hushed up.Keeping the police out of it seemed positively suicidal, although I guess I'll accept Rose being happy with the news Leah's gone to a mental health clinic.One shower later and Leah's suddenly her old self again, except more so, as this finally shakes her out of her defensive denial and convinces her to accept help.So...a result, I guess? Leah is apparently so keen to go that she doesn't take anything to the clinic except the clothes she's standing in!

I continue to appreciate Dana supporting John, even more so than Irene, who reverts to sniping a bit too much and joins Alf in being dismissive of his attempt at lateral thinking.Roo was nicely supportive as well despite her attempt at an intervention falling flat.

As said hindsight is a wonderful thing but what else was Justin supposed to do. It was Theo who  told him Leah had gone to the  cops as he refused to run away with her as she believed Justin had joined Vita Nova and wanted to report him.  Of course he'd go down there.  Rose, to give her some credit, was dealing as well as she could with Leah.  Trying to keep her calm whilst letting her think she was going to look into it.  Very wisely, initially, she didn't let him near her.  But then Rose's face agave it away  as to who was outside the interview room and Leah was having one of her episodes 'hearing' Rose and Justin talking about taking her to them and that now infamous phrase  "The end is near".   It has been very cleverly done letting 'us' see how it is for Leah well her way of thinking of how it is.    Backtracking though Justin's brilliant idea of him and her going for a picnic would have seemed to Leah a great ruse for Justin to get her out in the country so Vita Nova could grab her.  Swings and roundabouts with Rose deciding to let Justin go after her on his own, risk being she could injure herself or others but Leah seeing a uniform or uniforms may have spooked her even more.   Justin was taking a hell of a risk but he may have felt it would be better talking to Leah face to face rather than through a door or window.  We did see the aftermath with Bree talking to Leah but that knife didn't look like it had blood on it.   Irene and Marilyn are going to be well shocked and guilty that they didn't pick up on that anything was wrong with Leah. 

Plaudits to Ada for playing out such  a traumatic storyline and she's certainly had some over the years, must have been exhausting at the end of the day. 

Yes, I liked that dressing down Irene gave Alf.👍 Good to see a lighter storyline playing  alongside it being John and what he exactly does at the club, well now they, Alf and Roo at least know.  Alf has stood in for John before like when he was inside and when he had his stroke, but that was only for short periods of time.  Alf did know where to find the roster of life savers so Roo could call on the next person should as now one fell sick and found out about the proficiency test that was coming up  but of course it can't be taken as John has been fired.  Either it can't be taken meaning some may not be covered if something should happen, but they desperately need to find  someone to cover him. Be like, I imagine, any First Aider having to take an annual  test to make sure they are up to date. But now they both know how extremely organised he was and didn't just throw it together, he'd planned for everything that would/could happen during the year.  He created in fact an Idiot's Guide should it ever be needed so the next person could be taken through it so will know what to expect, what happens when etc.  I think Alf may now have more respect for John than he ever had before, he did look pretty amazed how thorough John was/is.  That old letter may have been 20 years old but John must have thought it  was important enough to keep.  John can be smug now, but I wouldn't blame him being even smugger when and no if he comes back in his full role.   

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet  and in no way as big as a capacity as John's but I created an Idiot's Guide of my own.  My job was, mostly, a lone job, processing people's stationery orders, but when you did have to train new people up I found having to explain the procedures could get boring for them and you can tend to forget things.  So I had a 💡moment and thought I'll write it all down. Not as easy as it sounds as what you did you just did, but writing it down isn't that easy as you had to think why that way, it did help having print-outs too.   You then sat them down, let them read it and go through it.  I like to think it worked. 

• Like 1

You know what the "Leah mishearing stuff" reminds me of?

Season 5 of Cobra Kai where Daniel overhears Barnes supposedly threatening to "Cut the legs off this Italian POS" (not knowing he was talking about a furniture order) and putting two and two together and coming up with about two hundred!🤣

Anyhow, Wow that was intense with the knife.

Edited by CaptainHulk

On 19/02/2024 at 18:24, pembie said:

That episode was utterly ridiculous and beyond bonkers not at all realistic I didn’t think but I enjoyed it total silliness Twist would be if Leah ends up stabbing Justin 

IMO, that would have been predictable as.

12 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Leah is suddenly a lot more reasonable.Having decided everyone was against her last episode, she suddenly snaps back to trusting Theo, so everything can be quickly closed down and hushed up.Keeping the police out of it seemed positively suicidal, although I guess I'll accept Rose being happy with the news Leah's gone to a mental health clinic.One shower later and Leah's suddenly her old self again, except more so, as this finally shakes her out of her defensive denial and convinces her to accept help.So...a result, I guess? Leah is apparently so keen to go that she doesn't take anything to the clinic except the clothes she's standing in!

I found it very cartoonishly funny and silly not at all realistic but I liked it I expect Leah will come back in a few days and everyone will not mention anything about the night she turned totally bonkers 

5 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

IMO, that would have been predictable as.

I wouldn’t have minded Justin fell ill to Leah’s curse even though the wedding got cancelled 

But sadly never happened 

Odd how we see things differently.  I was relieved, Theo seeing what the situation was, called Bree and not the cops.   Leah would trust Theo as he wasn't caught up with Vita Nova.  Bree did manage to talk Leah down but maybe not that wise her taking Leah home alone and staying with her overnight, but thankfully nought happened.  As no-one was hurt there was no need for the police to be involved. Of course Leah seemed more like herself she had had some sleep, but no way was it over  for her, she didn't know why Bree was there and couldn't remember much of what had happened the night before.  I'm glad Bree took the decision to tell her what had occurred.  She knew then it was time to get help, proper help.  I'm supposing Justin/Bree will be taking some clothes into the clinic for Leah.  Good to see Leah hugging both Theo and Justin, she did look pretty fragile.  He has had some dealings with this sort of thing, Brody had been in rehab and not allowed to see anyone and wasn't he in the same position when he got addicted.  TPTB can't win if Leah gets better in a matter of days people will say it's unrealistic but if it goes on for weeks, which it should,  people will complain it's being 'dragged out'.  People have such short attention  spans nowadays.   

Irene, Marilyn will definitely need to know as will Roo and Alf.  Anyone else they could just say she's gone to stay with family. 

Dana is being really there for John, I did like him teasing her about her  'date' with Banjo and lovely she is up for joining his new classes. Irene does have the benefit of having known  John a long time so can be snipey.  He did have that 💡 moment  of him running his own Life Saving Classes, nothing to stop him, he's qualified and no-one else is about to step in. The Surf Club can't stop him.  Alf was as expected scornful but of course if it takes off it'll look bad for the club and the dreaded committee.  Maybe in a way, it'll be better  as John won't have to conform to the Surf Club rules  just follow the official Life saving guidelines.  Good try Roo and he remembered so many of his pupils who had gone onto  to be great successes  over the years, he seemed quite nostalgic about them.  I'm guessing trainees pay for their courses which would have gone to the Surf Club but now will go to John?   They'd have to get  a refund from the Club we hope.   

The Leah stuff was immensely sad and that cold realisation of that kind of 'rock bottom' is often soul destroying and it can come as shockingly as that even without major consequence. I'm glad they showed Leah taking the harder yet ultimately better in the long run route but, despite many improvements, those kinds of clinics can still be scary. Justin looked bereft and that kind of soaked in grief exhaustion was accurately portrayed. Sometimes, not that you're supposed to be, it can be a relief when your loved one's instability is recognised and someone else is able to take over for a while.

I felt for Bree but she has no reason to feel any kind of guilt, the brain off shuts off/deletes these things because it is no longer necessary and/or it isn't going to help your self-health; she has no resposibility to grieve for Jacob or the marriage, he deserves nothing more than to be forgotten as all people who abuse do.