2023 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

That was good to know Justin's Community Service and Anger Management courses hadn't been forgotten or had finished without anyone saying anything. Of course both of then had to be put on hold when he was in hospital the time before last and I suppose just as he was fit enough to re-attend he had his last incident.  

It seems odd enough to us about Alf going in to bat for John so it must be even odder for John to get his head around.  I could completely understand his reaction at the end by accusing Alf not fighting for him hard enough.  This Henderson bloke does seem to enjoy his power wielding over the committee  as he is the biggest sponsor and as Alf said the Club can't afford to lose the sponsorship as they rely on it for equipment, uniforms, training etc. I bet he rules the roost over the others. Can't the other sponsors contribute more so they won't need him as much?  I can see it backfiring if John is sacked, maybe the Life Saving groups will refuse to work with anyone new, if they can get anyone at such short notice that is.

Tane was eventually worn by Harper and spoke  to her about  his problems with Felicity admitting he still loves her, but this last lie has finished it for him.   Does he not accept any fault on his side by pressuring her to have children when he knew she didn't want any, maybe thinking once she was pregnant she'd come around to the idea?   He and Flick were both on and off with their  relationship, blaming each other for stalking when it was really her 'friend'.  She did lie about the gambling but was to keep Mac out if it. I think they are maybe one of those couples who can't live with one another but can't live with out each other.  

I did have the feeling Justin reassuring  Theo Leah was doing OK was going to go awry, no way would she have got over it that quickly and from what we saw it does seem that way. 

Tane is part right in that she has pulled him in different directions with their relationship, even down to the wedding day and when he did finish it after she wouldn't let him go either.

Also, I think he was willing to give up on the family dream, it didn't mean that he had to like it, but when you're in a relationship at least once in your life you're going to give up on a dream for the sake of your spouse because once you take vows that's your duty. I know he saidd to Cash (I think) that he was struggling but he was allowed to feel it  but Felicity developed a self- conscience so offered him false hope which wasn't good either.

I mean early on in the relationship he was 'therapist with benefits' and I guess he's getting the former with Harper right now, she doesn't necassarily need Felicity's side of the story for that and yes, her not knowing that him well is probably a good thing, because like a therapist or even a hairdresser (people do!), she can advise and listen without being emotional in either form. 

Edited by Foellfan
  • Sad 1

Why hasn't Leah been charged? She committed a serious driving offence which caused an accident. Another dark day for the forces of law and order in Summer Bay, Rose is lucky not to have the anti-corruption people calling on her for seemingly turning a blind eye to her friend. Having a friendly word which Leah ignored is not going to cut it if this happens again.Frankly, it's reached the point where her excuses for not going to a doctor don't even qualify as excuses anymore, just her dogmatically refusing to do the sensible thing.

It took a bit of a nudge from Theo for Kirby to tell Remi and Eden about her windfall, although the expensive dinner was a bit of a giveaway! Remi gets concerned about Kirby using her money to help Lyrik, but to be fair that's something that helps her too.Unless Rose has got the wrong end of the stick, Cash continues to do an absolute terrible job of wanting his job back.

Alf's past treatment of John continues to come back to bite him: Maybe if John had felt supported in the past he wouldn't be feeling persecuted now. The blame seems to lie with the rest of the committee, of course, for giving in to blackmail. Even Roo notes that Alf defending John is a bit of a shock!

I don't suppose it would have only been Rose at the crash scene and as no-one was hurt maybe the police decided not to take it any further at the time.  That is until it was found she'd gone through a red light.  Sounds like the same police policy  as in Emmerdale with Cathy having her charges dropped.  Did I did I not hear her saying to Justin she needed help but doesn't appear to had any.  Justin seems to thinks she's OK. 

That blistering attack on Justin was unwarranted but, and I'm no expert, but wouldn't  that be a typical reaction of someone who is going through PTSD to behave.  He was, in one part her mind, lucky. It was her who had to get out of the factory, try and find help somewhere, she was running on adrenaline, her mind switched off and she was acting on instinct.  Even when he was found and brought to the hospital there was no let up, he had two serious ops, then could have died.  It wasn't until he came round and it was confirmed he'd be OK  the switch clicked back on again .  Then all these thoughts she'd suppressed came flooding into her mind. What if she hadn't got out, what if she hadn't got  help, what if the ambulance  had arrived too late, then what if he had died because she hadn't found help quick enough.  It would be enough to send anyone over the edge.  It's going to be tough persuading her she needs proper help.  Like most people in soaps (and real life) who need counselling etc it's got to be their decision,  look how long it was before Justin admitted he needed help. 

Poor John I just wanted to give him a BIG 🤗.  Get me a banner saying 'REINSTATE JP NOW!   We know Alf did go into bat for him but as you said Red, John would have trouble believing that because of Alf's treatment of him in the past, but Alf was overruled by the committee - sorry this may seem so trivial  and nought to do with ought but every time I  hear 'committee' I think of The Wheeltappers and Shunters Club - only those of a certain age would know what I'm talking about. 🤣😉   Their decisions is so cruel, the Life Saving lessons and training are a big part of his life to take that away will be devastating.  Anyone can, I imagine, be a GM,  but to be a Life Guard, life saving instructor is another thing, you need proper training for that. Yes he likes to blow his own trumpet and big himself up but the records state for themselves he knows what he is doing and has for years.  He has trained a lot of Bronze Medalist winners and they didn't get to do that with him pussyfooting around them.  He has to be firm but he can be understanding if they need help and encouragement like he was with Nik.  He knew he could be a good life guard.  Once they have that under their belt they can go anywhere and it's a job for life - well at least while they are still fit enough.  Does this also mean he's lost his Life Guarding duties?  

It did come as a  surprise to Eden what has been happening to Cash, she knew nothing about him not turning  up for his suspension hearing.    Does the fact she hasn't seen him  because he's been with Felicity  mean he's  gone back to standing by her after him telling her to stand on her own feet last week?

Remi may be  a bit reticent of accepting Kirby's windfall to pay for another studio to make a new album because  it would mean they'd have to write new songs. 🤔  Talking of whom it does appear that Bree is keeping him at a distance which appears to have only happened since that visit to his mum  and dad.  While I don't think it was because she told  them her history and it stirred up some bad memories but rather, imo, the talk Remi was having with her after that when he said he can see them being together  as long as his mum and dad.  That must have, maybe, brought back memories of when she and  Jacob were first together and they had  the same vision of being together forever. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Does the fact she hasn't seen him  because he's been with Felicity  mean he's  gone back to standing by her after him telling her to stand on her own feet last week?

Remi may be  a bit reticent of accepting Kirby's windfall to pay for another studio to make a new album because  it would mean they'd have to write new songs. 🤔

Yep, agree about Leah, it does have to be the sufferer's decision and John, proof loyalty never really gets you anywhere.

Did feel sorry for Justin being attacked like that; even though you know someone's not quite in the right mind, it can still be painful and to swallow that is hard too.

As for Cash, of course he's back to babysitting, it's h9s default, hehe, poor thing; he really does need to put himself first for once in his life.

I wonder with Remi on another point whether his reticence is partly down to the fact, despite the lip service, I'm not sure if he entirely trusts Kirby, which would be fair, and her paying for the time would make him feel beholden and if things were to go South again it would get really messy.

Alf's episode count this week:Five! Only characters to make three were Irene, Justin, Tane and Felicity.

Felicity was being rather needy, but I'm glad Kirby made the point to Eden that she probably doesn't know just how much trouble Cash is in: After all, Eden didn't know until she spoke to Rose. Flick was obviously in a vulnerable state and really wanting everything to be all right while Xander was understandably wary around her after her recent behaviour but did throw her in a bone in the end by acknowledging she didn't give Mackenzie a torn heart artery. I'm still hoping we see Felicity visit Mackenzie at some point.

Leah, in contrast, was firmly pushing everyone away.She veered back and forth between snappy and breezy "I'm fine". Alf finally gets to do his elder statesman bit and has a word.Probably not the outcome Justin was hoping for but might be for the best in the long run!

Remi and Kirby have a chat and it's clear guilt is part of Kirby's motivation but she does seem sincere.Well, we had Bree ignoring Remi's call on Monday and Eden teasing him about it yesterday, but despite that being the main focus of both yesterday's trailer and the continuity announcement, it barely featured.I wondered at first if Bree was still upset Remi didn't tell his parents the full story about her, but then we get that recap of her acting oddly to him predicting they'd be together in 35 years, which I admit I'd forgotten about!

That was an about turn for Leah wanting to postpone the wedding!  She really isn't in the right mind space but not ready to admit she needs help.  Maybe he was wrong to let Alf know what was going on with Leah as obviously doesn't want people to know but he needed to tell someone about  what is really wrong with her.  Alf would recognise  it's likely to be PTSD as he's been there himself. 

John resigning his GM post was a shock but you can see why he feels he had to do it.   Good to see Alf going into bat for him again by demanding the committee keep him on, who would have thunked it.  Who would they get to take that job on, would the new person also have to be a Life Guard to be able to teach the next lot of Life savers?  Won't this mean this latest lot will drift away and find somewhere else? 

Cash as said is being big brother for Felicity again, but she was being very clingy, not wanting his to  go off and have that talk  with Eden.   She should be put in the picture as regards Cash's position. you can't really blame Xander for being the way he was as he has seen and heard the way things were between Flick and Mac.  Like Maz not visiting Roo Flick is probably feeling guilty  so that is why she's not been to see Mac.  Maybe make sure Tane isn't visiting at the same time.   

Good that Remi and Kirby have come to sort out their awkwardness  re her wanting to put money into hiring a studio. 

Bree needs to speak to Remi, it's not fair to keep him dangling.    

• Like 1

Was disappointed with Rose.  She went way too easy on Leah and is basically doing a Cash.  Leah's attitude stinks.  It is one of ungratefulness and it's reached the point where I'm finding her pretty insufferable.  If Leah doesn't want to get married you can argue Justin's had a lucky escape.

Eden seemed a little jealous of Cash devoting his time to his own sister.  Still not too happy with Xander given that he acknowledged Mackenzie being hospitalised wasn't Felicity's fault although at least he made up with Felicity.

When I first saw Remi's mum, I couldn't remember the face but then it came back to me when I saw the recaps of Friday's episode.  Finn and Shaun's mum from Neighbours.

• Like 1