2023 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

With the new season comes a new UK discussion thread. ?

2023 starts this Monday on Channel 5 - please be mindful of posting spoilers, which includes discussion of any episodes wathced on 5Star.

This year, the season opener airs in the UK exactly 8 weeks since its transmission in Australia on 9th January. Seven are still persisting on and off with triple episodes, so the gap will gradually increase further over time.

Yep, a pretty action-packed premiere. I was definitely wondering why this was the premiere and not the finale - but I suppose given that the accident was previewed in the promo, it might actually make more logical sense to do the big bang for real at the start of the season and get people hooked in for the duration, rather than giving them more opportunity to forget about it over the summer break.

FIRIES/AMBOS: Don't move around! Don't rock the car!
FELICITY: *Moves around and rocks the car repeatedly*

The initial stunt was very impressive and the fire was a good cliffhanger to end things on, with Tane predictably dashing into the flames - but as ever I was partly preoccupied with trying to work out who was missing from the wedding. I don't suppose Felicity is particularly close to Roo, Alf or Irene, though Cash lived with Irene for a while so I'd have thought he'd have lobbied for her inclusion like he did for Gary's. I'm sure Ziggy and Dean said they were attending, so they must've been late! Hopefully they can get a message to them en route that the wedding's off now, so it doesn't eat into Ziggy's two episodes a week. Rose and Xander not at the ceremony but on hand as ever as the emergency-response siblings. And I guess Remi is still in the hospital and Theo and Kirby busy visiting him/Bree busy being kidnapped. And Marilyn is only in the episode to remind us of the flagrantly portentous image of the wedding cake with proxy-blood splattered down it.

Edited by atrus

1 hour ago, atrus said:

Yep, a pretty action-packed premiere. I was definitely wondering why this was the premiere and not the finale - but I suppose given that the accident was previewed in the promo, it might actually make more logical sense to do the big bang for real at the start of the season and get people hooked in for the duration, rather than giving them more opportunity to forget about it over the summer break.

That was going through my head, too. But I guess it makes sense instead of a big-ass cliffhanger leading to a damp squib.

1 hour ago, atrus said:

FIRIES/AMBOS: Don't move around! Don't rock the car!
FELICITY: *Moves around and rocks the car repeatedly*

This was a "FFS!" moment. tbh. But I guess if she acted LOGICALLY, we'd have no tension/drama...

• Like 2

Well after that crash everyone involved should be dead but it was a very good episode for these days I liked that there was a fill team of crash medics and not just Xander on his own Justin got off very lightly just those movie standard cuts 

Tane running into the fire and nobody stopping him was a tad silly but this is why I watch for the over the top silliness 

Good news though there won’t be any Lyric for awhile 

Welcome to 2023, and I think at the moment we are still exactly 8 weeks behind(ie we'll see the episode shown in Australia today in 8 weeks), although that may change soon. To be honest, I felt the fact that we'd already seen the accident in the promo meant there was very little excitement in seeing it again.(See also the fact everyone's convinced the episode ended with Tane running into flames, when that was how the promo ended and the actual episode ended with the petrol catching alight!)And familiarity breeds contempt as I was left wondering why exactly Justin driving off the road would cause his car to start flying. (Really, I just sat watching the mid-air slow motion barrel roll with a strong feeling of "...Really?") The more down to earth stunt for Felicity and Eden's crash felt a lot more realistic.Fortunately, once we got the OTT stuff out of the way, there was some nice human drama and peril.

I remain disappointed that Tane and Felicity's wedding has been ruined like this but I did enjoy their interaction at the crash site.Some nice bits with Felicity and Cash too, but unfortunately any sympathy I had for Cash largely disappeared with his absurdly premature and self-righteous attempt to blame Justin for everything, which would be kicking someone when they're down even if he was right.I really hope there's a big apology in the offing when the truth comes out: As it is, the real culprit was literally right there and Cash didn't notice.

And yeah, turns out Felicity trying to force her way out of the vehicle really wasn't a good idea. I know Marilyn was going for symbolism, but I can't imagine Leah would be happy to learn her prize cake ended up in the bin.John being nicely fatherly towards Nikau.Bree's missing so that random doctor who treated Remi in finale week has to be pressed into service.(The actress did play a doctor a few years back but the character was credited with a different name.)

2 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Really, I just sat watching the mid-air slow motion barrel roll with a strong feeling of "...Really?"

Was that after the fifth or sixth airborne barrel roll? ? No wonder Leah had somehow passed out before they'd hit the ground...

Personally, I thought the ute crashing through the wood & polystyrene wall was a nice touch.

Home-and-Away-7946-Felicity-and-Eden-cra

• Haha 1

It certainly was a dramatic - and some say overly dramatic - start to the Aus season!  Guessing TPTB discussed how many rolls they should have to get us - the viewers - engaged.  Great stunts by all concerned.  

Eden was wearing a seat belt but that force really threw her forwards and as I guess as the Ute is an old one no air bag to protect her face/head when she hit the steering wheel.  Where did that fence post come from?  It can happen that one person in a car can survive with just a few scratches/bruises like Justin did and the driver/passenger gets really hurt like Leah did.  Mason and Brody had  a bad car crash where he escaped fairly lightly yet Mason ended up with a  neck injury which resulted in him not being able to walk for a while. She's been in car crashes before hasn't she?  Luckily for Justin he was able to call Emergency Services and alerted them not just to his accident but Eden's too. Silly little niggle but what happened to the van driver that Eden was forced to swerve round to avoid going into the back of because of the brake failure.  At least they stayed upright but why was there no attendant at the petrol station? 

Would be perfectly natural for Felicity - or anyone - to panic and try and get out of a burning car no matter how badly injured you could be.  Logic goes right out of the window.  One of the paramedics mentioned something about if they didn't get her out there could be serious consequences didn't she? Something to do with her heart stopping due to her injury? I'm no medical expert of course but it looked like they were doing all the right things working with the fire and police services.   Neat coincidence Rose and Xander having the same shift which explains why they weren't at the Wedding. 

Still no mention of why Irene was nowhere to be seen or mentioned. 

John was very good with Nik and yes he snapped at John but he was OK with it and could understand as he - Nik -  probably felt like a spare one  not being able to do anything.

Bittersweet for Tane to find out Felicity hadn't ditched him but then to find out she'd been involved in a car crash.   Brief mention about the number of guests - OK some were NZ family and friends from the Bay but I guess the others were the usual go to  Wedding Guest extras.  They do get to wear nice clothes for their brief appearances. 

It's going to be one hell of a shock for Kirby and Remi to find out what has happened to Eden.  Severe head injury which may result in brain damage if she comes round.   Stand in doctor is going to be busy,  as Bree as the doctor to go to, is not around, though I can't see head injuries being her  remit but Leah's may.  Fingers crossed the post missed all of Leah's vital organs.  Will VJ be mentioned or seen as I suppose he'll  be notified? 

Yes Cash did totally overreact by accusing Justin of causing the crash, but all he heard was that the  brakes had failed, not yet knowing they had been tampered with, hope the cops can discover that even with damage caused by the fire.  He will need to apologise to Justin BIG time when he does find out.  Justin knows he did nothing wrong with the brakes and the car was perfectly road worthy but doubts have set it. I'm supposing the guy who was reporting to Tex either hadn't been on the scene before so that is why Cash didn't clock him but then again he had plenty of other things on his mind.  That sudden change of plan, Cash going off with Gary and Eden driving Felicity meant they didn't get the guy - Cash - they were after.  There could have been no guarantee there would have been a fatal car crash unless they engineered one. 

What was Marilyn trying to do with the cake when she was moving it into the bin?  Not that will be the uppermost thought on Leah's mind. 

I just felt opening of today's was a bit too quick, I get that there was a sense of urgency but that was over quicker than you could blink 

Seems Fangirl's all over Theo's jock but that's another story for another time when people will give a monkey's about it.

That cliffhanger (Today's) was a good to screw with the audience (those who didn't read spoilers)