2023 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

As I suspected, Theo was put out to put it mildly that the song he'd been writing as a present for Leah and Justin has been hijacked.Points to him for not making a fuss about it.Justin isn't the most sensitive person at times, but given that Kirby realised how he'd feel, she probably should have taken that into account before he was standing in front of her.Oh well, I guess she's right that she couldn't exactly say no to Justin.

After a bit of pushing, Remi was honest with Bree but encouraged her to pursue her dream, which she seemed to appreciate.I'm not sure about Roo deciding to keep involving herself in surf club business, but if she and John can find some sort of equilibrium, it might work out. (I guess the tutoring business is largely dead these days?) Of course, the way things are going she could end up on the committee soon!

I guess Eden deserves some credit for trying to stick it out camping and make the most of it, even though she's well outside of her comfort zone.Having a parasite burrowing into her does seem to have been a bit of a tipping point but she did seem to be affected by Cash's story of what camping means to him...although the promo suggests that's not going to last long.

It has to be said, we're getting a rather gentle run to the end of the season: After starting the week with Mackenzie's medical drama, that seems to be pretty much over with her back recovering in hospital and the biggest drama at the moment is whether anyone else will resign from the surf club committee!

Thanks, H&Alover, must have missed that! Eden/Levi is the arcehetype I think as well as the fact regardless or rights/wrongs, angry words/nice words kids are always the kind of casualties of divorce whichever way you pegged it, there's no winners really.

I understand Theo feeling kind of put out/lost with the song business because he's going through the trauma with Leah too, sadly it is sometimes a problem too when you both find comfort in the same therapy also because, I think you sometimes need the separation not only to breathe but also to free about your emotions without fearing how someone else is going to take it.

I'm glad Cash opened up to Eden and was honest about the difficulties of growing up with Felicity and grief; it is something which I quite common when you have someone who is, shall we say as emotionally diverse, as she is it's a 24/7 job and so often the more grounded or healthy one, depending on reason, automatically becomes cover carer and their emotions can be, not necassarily forgotten or ignored, but coping becomes relied upon so the fact that Gary gave Cash that space and those 'days off' if you like would've been so important.

I felt really queasy watching the tick bit...ewwww! I'm no camping fan either and perhaps Eden should've thought twice about input, but I loved their dancing scene.

I think Remi's right that Bree should go because she needs to be by herself with herself, if that makes sense, she's always been defined by her relationships and even her career was influenced by that in a way; jumping straight into a relationship straight out of the abuse probably wasn't the best, a bit like Xander and Jamie's wife, it was a kind of surrogacy type thing, Bree needed to have someone because I think she was understandably afraid to be alone at first but later it might not have been best.   

Theo to his credit and sign of his maturity did play down how he was really feeling about Justin taking over his song, Justin  does tend to wade in and take over, like someone else we know. 😉  But good for Remi for telling tales out of school and letting Justin know Theo wasn't as OK about it as he made out.   I could see why Justin felt he needed to write a song but it was Theo's song for them and I suppose a repayment for them looking after and out for him. 

Remi had to tell Bree why he couldn't go with her, but her knee jerk decision  to stay in the bay was just that and glad he persuaded her to follow her dream.  If she stayed she wouldn't be happy and would come to resent him.  As the saying goes if you love someone let them go.  I know a lot of people don't like Remi and Bree  together but they have worked so well, brought the best out of each other.  

Ah yes Roo, the other one who likes to take over, does she have an actual job and earn any money?   I was wondering about her tutoring business. Now The Surf Club King is back on his throne he wouldn't want any help, he managed quite well  before.   Cleaning the loos too beneath you Roo?  Are all these committee members  resigning  of their own accord or having pressure put on them by a certain sponsor? Do we know how many committee members there are/were? 

The weather does help of course if you're camping but then there are the bugs to consider and naturally it had to be Eden who got bitten by the tick.  Cash would have the right implement to get it out and a good lesson for us watching it too. She was rubbish at collecting sticks. 😁   It wouldn't be easy for Cash to open up like that about how it was with Felicity, having the peace and quiet to find yourself again.   Eden, did kind of, reveal her family weren't into that kind of thing.   We did see her ringing Remi and begging him to come and get her but then we saw Cash come up behind her - Oops.   Are they keeping it all back for tonight's episode?  We did see someone digging a hole and Eden running about in the dark.

Would I be right in thinking next weeks posts will be under the banner 2024 Season? 

• Like 1

That was actually a decent episode I know I’m shocked too I found it quite tense Remi crashed was filmed quite good normally the camera just cuts away but I got my Hollywood effects that I so often crave with crashes And then to be told that Remi is dead is quite the shock Shame because I quite liked Mickey and his dad 

I think this maybe the last camping trip Eden ever goes on rotten luck getting knocked out and shoved into a boot with your dead friend I wonder if Leah’s counsellor is waiting on stand by?

Im not so sure why Cash was running around panicking though he doesn’t know Eden is missing yet she might just have been gathering firewood 

Theo Kirby and Justin song sounded quite good Maybe it would be a meta thing to do but they could release songs like that really see how well they would do in the charts 

26 minutes ago, pembie said:

That was actually a decent episode I know I’m shocked too I found it quite tense Remi crashed was filmed quite good normally the camera just cuts away but I got my Hollywood effects that I so often crave with crashes And then to be told that Remi is dead is quite the shock Shame because I quite liked Mickey and his dad 

I think this maybe the last camping trip Eden ever goes on rotten luck getting knocked out and shoved into a boot with your dead friend I wonder if Leah’s counsellor is waiting on stand by?

Im not so sure why Cash was running around panicking though he doesn’t know Eden is missing yet she might just have been gathering firewood 

Theo Kirby and Justin song sounded quite good Maybe it would be a meta thing to do but they could release songs like that really see how well they would do in the charts 

Counsellor is probably like "FFS! WTF is *wrong* with this town?!"🤣

8 minutes ago, CaptainHulk said:

Counsellor is probably like "FFS! WTF is *wrong* with this town?!"🤣

Definitely need to be paid overtime hours But if anybody got back to being normal you as the counsellor would be feeling slightly big headed I think 

21 minutes ago, pembie said:

Definitely need to be paid overtime hours But if anybody got back to being normal you as the counsellor would be feeling slightly big headed I think 

True, True.

Can't fix everything.

Alf's episode count this week:Four. Things go a bit crazy in finale week as always, so Cash and Eden were also in four.Conversely, Irene was only in one, although she was credited on Friday for no appearance(as was Marilyn).

Okay...that has to be the most random season cliffhanger ever.No build-up at all, just two random blokes we've never seen before turning up, accidentally killing Remi and randomly kidnapping Eden.It was almost as if someone got halfway through writing the episode and then realised "Hang on, is this the finale? Better come up with a cliffhanger fast!" To be fair, there's a certain amount of peril there, as Two Random Blokes are just the right amount of stupid to be dangerous.

Justin did a spectacularly bad job of apologising to Theo, which was pretty much still making it all about him, so in a sense it's lucky that Theo was more worried about Leah. I think Theo was giving Justin too much credit for handling Leah: If Bree hadn't been there, he'd probably have been stabbed.

Back to the surf club dramas and it's hardly a surprise that Simon Henderson is behind everything, although it's hard to work out what he's trying to achieve:If the surf club closes down, he might save himself sponsorship money, but he'll lose out on the advertising as well. Is he hoping Alf will be forced out? Or does he just want to hurt Alf and hasn't thought about the end result? It'd be nice if Alf could just treat John like a human being on a regular basis but there was some amusement to be had in him trying really hard not to say anything nice about him even while putting everything on the line for him.

It does show up the differences between the audiences though that the UK finale revolved around Irene and Leah (and Justin) in danger as if they're trying to appeal to lapsed viewers by showing the older characters they'd recognise, while they're the ones that appear least in the Oz finale week and it's the newer characters in peril!

20 hours ago, pembie said:

I agree about the crash stunt, very well done; it gave me chills, though I've never been to the scene a relative had been in crash like that and just the thought is horrifying.

I wonder if Cash's fear as well might have been that, though he might have fallen asleep before she returned, it's a remote area and she's never been there before, also not necasarilly being au fait with bush wilderness she could be lost and that might have been why.

On 29/02/2024 at 07:58, CaptainHulk said:

Felicity hasn't been thst much of a great wife either (remove my personal dislike of her) and even impartials for the most part would agree.

The difference is, IMO she's been shown to be doing the wrong thing, with Tane being cold and initially refusing to engage with her re the contraception, Cash having a go at her, Mackenzie offering Tane a place to stay, refusing to let her see him/asking her to leave when Felicity went to see her at the hospital, Harper seeming to side with Tane and even agreeing to be friends with him, despite the fact she previously was supporting Felicity for being raped, Xander having a go at her and initially blaming her for Mackenzie's heart attack.  Whereas Tane cheats on his wife multiple times, is quite pushy to be friends with Harper despite the current situation with Felicity, pulls out of the lease without giving Felicity or Cash prior warning and it just feels there's been very little comeback.

I know Theo said it wasn't about the song but I really wasn't happy Kirby allowed Justin to hijack it and I wasn't keen on Justin either, taking over like that.

Cash looked like he was wearing Ugg Boots on the camping trip.

I did think the finale was good in the sense that it was a genuine surprise with the guys knocking over Remi and deciding to dispose of his body, with nothing to indicate that it was Remi in the preview.  I've been fairly critical of Eden but I can't imagine the horror she must have faced seeing one of the guys dig a hole, being knocked out, gagged, put in the back of the van, only to see Remi and realise they were digging a hole for him.