2021 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

We're obviously meant to be hoping to have the old Marilyn back but, you know what? I'm actually on her side against Irene more and more. Even with the complaint at the hospital, it's a bit extreme but it's been made and it feels like everyone would be better off letting it play out than trying to harass Marilyn into dropping it: You've got Mackenzie, Logan and Irene all queuing up to take a pop, despite Logan saying it's best left alone.But Irene's attitude towards Marilyn is starting to seem like a case of "I liked you better when you were weak and submissive" and she actually is coming across as patronising and maybe even controlling. There was more than a little irony to the fact that Marilyn's landed herself on Justin and still ended up spending all her time alone, although he handled her better than most people.Of course, it now seems the physical symptoms of her...whatever aren't entirely gone.

What on earth was Ziggy on? Either she was actually trying to kill Dean or she's heading off into cloud cuckoo land. Her logic seemed to consist of "You'll be able to surf again once you get out onto the water because you're a good surfer." Sorry, how does that negate having a busted pelvis? Out in the middle of the sea is not the time to learn that he really isn't recovered enough to surf! She might have had a point about it being easier in water than on land, but no safety procedures in place if it goes wrong, not even starting in a small pool, just head out into the sea in a "sink or swim" manner!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Slade said:

Same.

I don't know what it is about Dean but I'm just not really enjoying the interactions with other characters at the moment.  It seems to be focused around Mackenzie/Ziggy/Bella.  They've tried to get other people such as Logan and in the last episode Justin but I'm just not feeling it.  To me he seems to gel far better with Ari and (as much as I hate to admit) Mia than some of the other characters.

I do feel a bit sorry for Justin being lumbered with Marilyn.  It's funny how he was encouraging certain parts of her behaviour initially.

I only really found Dean interesting with Amber and Jai She suited him way better than Ziggy I think Otherwise he has never really interested me as a character He is good with Ryder and as you say Mia and Ari 

Logan is witty I like that about him but him and Mac are very dull together I find it’s probably because they are always having sex haha Same problem with Justin and Leah do couples actually just chill out together watching tv or talking  or what haha

Theo they are trying to make out that Chloe likes him being a bad boy but he comes across a bit more than that mostly just a twat haha so I can’t see why she would like that 

Outside of all that I quite like Mia and Matthew story just starting even through their history is very questionable especially with Mia never mentioning Matthew to Ari before 

If you'd asked me a few weeks ago, I never would have said Theo would have been the lesser of the  evils compared to Marilyn from Justin's perspective with regards to who he would rather live with.

I'm also sympathetic towards her.  Irene is just getting annoying now and it feels like she's a nuisance.  And yes, she's coming across a quite condescending.  She needs to accept (at least for now) that Marilyn has changed.  I am actually slightly more sympathetic towards Logan as he's helped a lot of people but he's definitely guilty of what he criticised Mackenzie for doing last week.

I really enjoyed the chat Justin had with Marilyn.  I started off feeling really sorry for Marilyn when she felt like everybody was treating her like a child (following on from when she was crying about being alone earlier on in the episode).  But Justin handled it really well, was honest with her and pointed out why people had an issue with how she's been acting.  I think the honesty went a long way to help both of them reach an understanding.  He also continued the theme of non vegetarian food.

I would never have called Marilyn weak and submissive, she could stand her corner when she needed to, but she's never been nasty or vicious before.  Irene and co can't understand why she feels Logan is to blame for her specific after effects from the toxin attack, apart from Tane and Martha everyone else like Irene, Mac and Leah were OK so it's a real puzzle.  All of them would have been checked out before being discharged. It's a big step accusing Logan of medical negligence and could affect his future career.    Justin bit the bullet and told her what people were thinking and that they were actually a little scared of her so were walking on eggshells in case they said the wrong thing.   I'm not sure it would be OK for her and Logan to talk, maybe breaking some kind of protocol. ? Justin can understand in a way as people were pushing him to get help when he had his pain killer addiction when he thought he didn't have one.   Maz really didn't want to be alone, but maybe just me but  it seems she can't handle more than one person being around her. Anyways seems the no feeling in her legs has returned but that she can't blame Logan for, she checked herself out before being examined.  

Ziggy's hydro therapy did seem like a good idea, and her heart is in the right place she wants Dean to be happy doing the thing he loves.  But I thought she meant in a hydro pool or going for a swim even, water is weight bearing and he wouldn't have had to go far out and they do have those pools he could have tested himself out in,  not just expect him to surf right away.  Maybe it's because we haven't seen Dean interacting with many people before so now we are it looks a little odd.  I've always liked Dean, he's, to me,  always come across as a complex character not a one size fits all River Boy turned good. When he first came out of hospital he didn't wan to take his meds or do any exercise but he got over that and now he's not that macho he wouldn't ask Logan if the pain he was still feeling was normal.  But of course  every case is different and and everyone heals at a different pace. 

pembie - Mia may not have mentioned Matthew by name to Ari but she would, I think, have maybe just said Chloe's dad wasn't on the scene any more and hadn't been for a long while  when they first met. 

I think Marilyn and Dean are both going too far now.Claiming that Logan's the reason they are the way they are just seems ridiculous: Marilyn was in a chemical attack and Dean was in a car crash.Blame Anne, blame the kangaroo, blame Nikau if you want, but don't blame the person whose only contribution was trying to put them back together when they were already like that.Having said that, it's now Jasmine's turn to rock up at someone's house with a lecture and then look bemused that it doesn't work.

Good for Nikau to get his bronze medallion, I guess, after John gives him a much-needed kick up the backside.Still, recruiting a bunch of people who, shall we say, skirt the boundaries of the law to Neighbourhood Watch does not seem like it's going to end well.Bella gets some decent advice from Irene, a shame that she caught Dean in a less-than-supportive move.

11 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I think Marilyn and Dean are both going too far now.Claiming that Logan's the reason they are the way they are just seems ridiculous: Marilyn was in a chemical attack and Dean was in a car crash.Blame Anne, blame the kangaroo, blame Nikau if you want, but don't blame the person whose only contribution was trying to put them back together when they were already like that.Having said that, it's now Jasmine's turn to rock up at someone's house with a lecture and then look bemused that it doesn't work.

Good for Nikau to get his bronze medallion, I guess, after John gives him a much-needed kick up the backside.Still, recruiting a bunch of people who, shall we say, skirt the boundaries of the law to Neighbourhood Watch does not seem like it's going to end well.Bella gets some decent advice from Irene, a shame that she caught Dean in a less-than-supportive move.

In Small Towns/Villages/Squares/Streets people are often Hypocrites and love a Scapegoat.

Nikau training reminded me of the early years when the likes of Tug went out for his Bronze. It's good that he has the support of a mentor like John who probably has like 600yrs of lifesaving experience and is no stranger to the water (Navy).

I agree that given both Marilyn and Dean were close to death, they shouldn't really be blaming Logan.  I actually still found Marilyn jaw dropping at the hospital even though I'm used to this new version of her.

I do think there is a arrogant trait associated with Logan which we saw when he first crossed swords with Tori and I didn't really like the way he was dismissive of the other doctor being overly cautious and Marilyn's relapse being physical when Jasmine was explaining Marilyn's symptoms to him.

I thought Dean was out of line with Bella, on the other hand I thought he was quite lenient with Jasmine.  She came round to see him under false pretences pretending to care when in actual fact she was just trying to fight Logan's corner.  Takes the mick.

Hmmm, dating a bad boy, enjoys taking photos of him, brown hair, brown eyes, first 4 letters of name makes a ringing sound, remind you of anyone Red Ranger?

9 hours ago, Slade said:

Hmmm, dating a bad boy, enjoys taking photos of him, brown hair, brown eyes, first 4 letters of name makes a ringing sound, remind you of anyone Red Ranger?

Ha-ha! I did make a comment years ago. probably in a spoiler thread, when Miss Ringing Sound #2 went to live with Irene, that Irene was so stuck in the rut that not only were they still sending troubled teens to live with her despite her being old enough to be their grandmother, they'd even come up with one whose name was only one letter different to one of her previous charges! Fortunately, they do seem to have moved on since then, touch wood...

It seemed like Ziggy was giving out some mixed messages to Dean here. She seemed to be saying both “It’s too early to say you can’t surf again” and “It doesn’t matter that you can’t surf again”! Maybe she was trying to say that it wasn’t a done deal and wasn’t the end of the world either way, and just did it really badly. Dean asks what he can do if he can’t surf. Er…what you’re doing now? Keep running the board shop and employ someone else to do lessons? I can’t quite tell if Jasmine broke patient confidentiality or not…

While John has a hard time recognising when someone’s not interested, I did feel a bit sorry for him, since it seems like this Neighbourhood Watch thing is his latest attempt to get some company. Bella going back to TAFE is probably a good thing, although she really needs to decide on a career path! Did Ryder do business studies at one point? Maybe she should ask him for tips.

That was really not the best time for Cash to distract Ryder and Theo! They seemed to be on their way to be “frenemies”, but Theo may have killed it with his bombshell there…

43 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

That was really not the best time for Cash to distract Ryder and Theo!

That was completely Cash's fault, if he hadn't butted in then they'd have been fine. What was it to him anyway? It was on private property and as far as I know there's no law against it...

59 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Did Ryder do business studies at one point?

I believe it's just been Hospitality at TAFE...

Archived