2021 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I was more than up for whacking Theo? - he really, really didn't get he'd done anything wrong!?  Am I allowed to call him a tw*t?  Not wanting to sound clever, but I had worked out they meant the buggy when they talked about the Polaris the other week- even though, apparently, it it isn't.

His 'punishment' does seem very tame and even then he couldn't resist posting himself when he was supposedly tiding up  behind the counter at the Juice Bar making it seem another joke.  I wouldn't have believed him either any more than Nik did when he walked in and asked what he was doing.  Nik was bloody lucky, if even Theo was pushing him hard, that John didn't fire him.  Not a good advert for the Life Savers that he was wearing the uniform at the time. Nik was genuinely sorry and yes John can be very set and old fashioned but he does believe in Nik and the fact Nik apologised for his part in the fight went towards John keeping him on.  Nik just about refrained from tugging his forelock.  

At least with Ryder being , reluctantly, on board any stunts will be legal, which was a condition he made last time.  

Nice to see a bit of interaction between Mac and Ryder. I liked her little quip that maybe she should get some payback for him and Theo using Salt for their cocktail challenge. ?  

The dialysis won't come cheap, not just the machine but all it's accessories, nurse to train Alf and or Roo up to know how to use it.  That's if Martha would feel comfortable with them hooking her up. 

Not that it would exclude him but Cash was only a teenager when his and Flick's dad died.  But maybe it's easier for Flick to believe that than the idea he killed himself. 

On 18/02/2022 at 16:01, Slade said:

I'm glad Ziggy pointed out to Dean that he needed to get things into perspective re Logan.  I do agree with him that surfing is a massive part of his life but if it wasn't for Logan he would be six feet under.  Was it really the food that won him over or the beer?

Or the fact Logan kept quite during the match??

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to conclude that Theo's saving grace, and the reason why he's not quite as bad as when he first came in, is the fact that he does seem to genuinely appreciate the fact that Justin's taken him under his wing and stuck by him.So even though surfing's not really his thing, he seemed to embrace it as a bonding exercise.(It sounded like they went out in the water though:What happened to "First lesson on the beach"?)There was some nice interplay between him and Ryder, now with Mackenzie added into the mix.

So, Marilyn's stay in hospital lasted as long as when the actress was available again.I do appreciate the fact that it's not quite been a case of magic wand, all fixed.Her interaction with Logan in particular showed that she's still having to make a supreme effort to be nice to people and not quite getting it right.I'm glad she thanked Justin though.And finally a Luc mention!

Typical Alf to want to butt heads with everyone but at least he backed off and let Martha do her own thing.(Are we talking last rites here, or was it just part of the funeral preparations?)But good news in the end!

I suspect Ryder realises he was hasty letting Chloe have his half of the business for free.  I think him and Theo function pretty well together and after the last couple of episodes, potentially they could be a good duo.  The main issue is Chloe and if there is to be some form of friendship outside trying to generate cash then Ryder will probably have to meet someone else so she is no longer a problem.

I also enjoyed the scenes with Ryder and Mackenzie and liked the interaction with Theo too.

Alf hasn't been too bad, but judging by the way he reacted when he saw the priest I'm just waiting for him to snap at someone again.

I have to admit I don't find Marilyn that interesting when she's bubbly and chirpy, so if she's on medication and occasionally being blunt, perhaps this is a compromise.

They seem to working on some sort of friendship with Dean and Justin.  Kind of makes sense as neither of them have too many friends, although I would like to see more Dean/Ari stuff.

Justin wasn't going to let Theo off the surfing lesson was he?? That was a revealing comment from Theo when he told Justin no-one had taken the time to teach him anything before, not even his dad. Is that the reason why he comes across so brash - the need for people to take notice of him?   I was wondering about the 'first lesson on the beach' routine, who knows what his sense of balance is like. Knowing Theo though, that would soon put him off - he'd have found it boring. ?  One thing Ryder does have over him though.?  Theo seemed OK with Ryder laying down new rules, keeping Chloe out of it, no more 'banter' against him, banter should be a two way thing.  

I hadn't twigged that most of the stunts Ryder and Theo had been doing were more bloke orientated, but weren't there some girls/women at the Fire Walk?   Good spot by Mac though, doesn't have to be totally biased towards women just for the sake of reeling them in.  Seems a solution has been found though.?

Dean seems to have perked up thanks to Logan.  Loved the banter between him and Mac.

I'm supposing Maz had been in hospital for a few days, which was the original plan.  From her comment about getting used to the 'old' and the 'new' her sounds like she has some sort of schizophrenic disorder.? She was alternating between being snappy and apologetic with Ryder.   It was an awkward meeting between her and Logan, but she did thank him for his help and wished him luck for his tribunal hearing.  I don't think she could stop it now anyway, it was mentioned before.  Glad that Marilyn admitted all wasn't well with her when she was talking to Justin, he'd spun that line himself so knew a fib when he heard it. It may have seemed odd she didn't go to see Martha but with her mood swings may not have been a good idea. 

Wonder how long Leah will be with VJ before he gets fed up with her fussing over him and sends her home. Luc would be four now. 

It's good that Logan has Mac there for him.  Should he be telling her about Martha?

Talking of whom - I wouldn't say she's giving up precisely - more being practical should the worse come  to the worst.  If it was Alf he'd be wanting to put plans into motion to save Martha and Roo less hassle after he'd died.  I think the rev was there to discuss  the service. That was a touching scene of Roo & Alf on the pier.?  Kieran's not a match - but I would have thought he would have been out of the running anyway because of his drink problem.   Good news that Roo is a match?, but not by any means all done and dusted. 

Yes, Martha didn't seem to be applying a lot of logic to Roo's situation: She'd probably rather lose a kidney than lose a mother, again. Still, given the way he was trying to shut down her funeral talk, I was expecting Alf to be fully on Roo's side, but it seems he thinks Martha might have a point.

Some good, genuine, banter with the challenges.Theo took the whole thing in good humour, even finding the idea that Ziggy worked on a pit crew cool.I did like too Justin's increasing frustration that no-one was doing any work whilst simultaneously just running with it.And, unlike what the promo suggested, Ziggy and Theo worked out a prize that was fair for each of them.It probably wasn't smart though for Ziggy to go running to Dean and tell him she's got the board back when she knows that's not what he wants.

Good of Logan to help Dean out and indeed for John to give them a hand.Mackenzie inviting him to move in is a bit abrupt though...

33 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I did like too Justin's increasing frustration that no-one was doing any work whilst simultaneously just running with it.

I loved how we just heard Justin off-screen very pointedly answering the phone, whilst Ziggy and Theo gave him a brief look and carried on. ?

Mackenzie made me laugh when she mocked Dean for actually paying at Salt.

I've found both Dean and Ziggy far more watchable over the last couple of episodes when they are in scenes that don't involve them as a couple (note the last scene where they got into an argument).

I really enjoyed the stuff with Ziggy and Theo at the garage.  I do think she had an unfair advantage in that competition though.  Again seeing Theo/Ryder with no Chloe emphasises how detrimental she is towards any potential friendship.

My sympathies swung back towards Roo this episode.As she says, this should be good news, but Alf was treating it like a wake (and so was Martha, although she doesn't know that).Until the chat with the psychologist of course, when it became clear just how many emotions she's burying.A run-in with an accidentally blunt Marilyn didn't help either...

John makes an unlikely relationship counsellor but does the job, as Ziggy realises she needs to back off and let Dean make his own decisions. I'm actually quite pleased Justin and Theo get to keep the board, because even though the situation amused him, Justin did kind of lose out from the challenge result. Dean can always get another board if his pain gets better.

Bella and Nikau open the episode strapped for cash: I'm with Bella in that John has a very odd definition of accepting a quote.Nikau kind of went from hero to zero here, to the point that I'm bewildered what his problem is.Last week, he was practically begging to keep the job, here he throws a hissy fit and chucks it in because...what? John trusted him? Maybe John should have said something right after the guy revived, but he was absolutely right not to step in when Nikau was doing it right, in my opinion.

Archived