2021 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Talking of credits -  who is/was Jake?

I thought that was a good bit of reverse psychology  Justin used on Marilyn to get her to leave the hospital - she's got the use of her lags back then - shame it didn't last for long.  According to her Dr. Singh is now in on the conspiracy with Logan to make her think it's all in her mind.  Both Logan and  he/her have ruled out anything physical so what else does it leave?   What was with her having a go at Mac - why should Logan be at Salt?   Only recently she was thanking Mac for being there when she rescued her. Then another blow up at The Diner, but to herself she does acknowledge something isn't right as she did phone Alf and she wouldn't bother him unless she was really desperate as she knows he's with Martha. Alf, after all,  is the person in the bay Marilyn has known the longest since she arrived in 1989 and she looks oh him as a father figure and  he  looks on her as a daughter.  Would I be right in thinking Emily Symons is the second longest serving member of cast after Ralph Meagher? 

I feel as Logan does it's got to be something psychological - did? the shock of the chemical attack trigger something deep inside in Marilyn?  What has losing the feeling in her legs got to do with it? 

Oh come on Mia, I know that Matthew being back on the scene brings back bad memories for you but you have to tell Chloe what happened, maybe not go down the "he raped me" route, just tell her the way you told Ari.  Chloe is an adult not a young child or teenager.  Chloe did have a point Mia does have a habit of running after big upsets. 

Matthew, to me at least, has come across as an OK guy.  Whether it's a clever ploy on his part but he hasn't said anything bad about Mia or put any blame on her, just said they were both young and mistakes were made and that night was a one night stand.  He hasn't made any suggestion that whatever Mia has said - nothing yet - wasn't true.  Part of what he's said we know is true - that Mia left town after finding out she was pregnant and he didn't know where she went.  We shouldn't forget he is a barrister and they are good with words.  If Mia isn't careful she's going to push Chloe towards Matthew and lose her which is the last thing she wants. 

Ari, to be fair to him is the only father Chloe has known and he looks on her as his 'daughter' so would be protectful of her from this stranger - no fault of Matthew's there - wanting to 'muscle' in.  Ari did quite ask for the 'but she's not' swipe from Matthew. May just me but Matthew is a bit like Kieran  in looks.  If you mean the scene on the wharf Matthew was there first. 

Better late than never I suppose with that 'apology' from Mac to Flick.  She said sorry for getting it wrong then went on to 'suggest' Tane & Flick were getting too close too quick. 

After my comment about Cash leaving his van unlocked all night what does Flick do when she and Cash go off together,  leaves her door wide open and does Cash make any comment about it - NO! ? This is the cop John asked  what  suggestions he may have about Neighbourhood Watch.  

12 minutes ago, H&Alover said:

I thought that was a good bit of reverse psychology  Justin used on Marilyn to get her to leave the hospital - she's got the use of her lags back then - shame it didn't last for long.  According to her Dr. Singh is now in on the conspiracy with Logan to make her think it's all in her mind.  Both Logan and  he/her have ruled out anything physical so what else does it leave?   What was with her having a go at Mac - why should Logan be at Salt?   Only recently she was thanking Mac for being there when she rescued her. Then another blow up at The Diner, but to herself she does acknowledge something isn't right as she did phone Alf and she wouldn't bother him unless she was really desperate as she knows he's with Martha.  Alf, after all,  is the person in the bay Marilyn has know the longest since she arrived in 1989 and she looks oh him as a father figure and  he  looks on her as a daughter.  Would I be right in thinking Emily Symons is the second longest serving member of cast after Ralph Meagher? 

I feel as Logan does it's got to be something psychological - did? the shock of the chemical attack trigger something deep inside in Marilyn?  What has losing the feeling in her legs got to do with it? 

Oh come on Mia, I know that Matthew being back on the scene brings back bad memories for you but you have to tell Chloe what happened, maybe not go down the "he raped me" route, just tell her the way you told Ari.  Chloe is an adult not a young child or teenager.  Chloe did have a point Mia does have a habit of running after big upsets. 

Matthew, to me at least, has come across as an OK guy.  Whether it's a clever ploy on his part but he hasn't said anything bad about Mia or put any blame on her, just said they were both young and mistakes were made and that night was a one night stand.  He hasn't made any suggestion that whatever Mia has said - nothing yet - wasn't true.  Part of what he's said we know is true - that Mia left town after finding out she was pregnant and he didn't know where she went.  We shouldn't forget he is a barrister and they are good with words.  If Mia isn't careful she's going to push Chloe towards Matthew and lose her which is the last thing she wants. 

Ari, to be fair to him is the only father Chloe has known and he looks on her as his 'daughter' so would be protectful of her from this stranger - no fault of Matthew's there - wanting to 'muscle' in.  Ari did quite ask for the 'but she's not' swipe from Matthew. May just me but Matthew is a bit like Kieran  in looks.  If you mean the scene on the wharf Matthew was there first. 

Better late than never I suppose with that 'apology' from Mac to Flick.  She said sorry for getting it wrong then went on to 'suggest' Tane & Flick were getting too close too quick. 

After my comment about Cash leaving his van unlocked all night what does Flick do when she and Cash go off together,  leaves her door wide open and does Cash make any comment about it - NO! ? This is the cop John asked  what  suggestions he may have about Neighbourhood Watch.  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initially I found it slightly amusing when Mackenzie took exception to Felicity and Tane having breakfast but then I didn't really like her in that episode.  I've had a lot of sympathy for her, especially during the Ari/Mia stuff and when she lost her baby but there's always been an air of snobbery about her and she does look down on certain people (She was the same with Amber initially).  I do think she has legitimate concerns which have been mentioned by Cash and I don't think there's any jealousy as she's moved on from that and seems quite happy with Logan.  Her apology started off well but ended up where she would have been better off saying nothing at all and basically told Felicity she wasn't good enough for Tane.  I felt sorry for Felicity as she was obviously hurt by this.  Which was evident when Tane went round to see her and she possibly thought he was going to dump her.  I loved her reaction when Tane just wanted to go for a walk.  Her surprise followed by glee, once again showing she doesn't do relationships.

The thing I found funny about Marilyn is Justin's uncomfortable facial expressions particularly when she had a go at Mackenzie.  Mackenzie probably didn't deserve it but given how she was towards Felicity, I'm not really complaining.

Well Ari hasn't done anything stupid...yet.  I'm actually really interested to know what Chloe's reaction is going to be when she finds out what happened with Mia and Matthew.  I suspect she might not believe it at first but when she does, looking forward to see how she handles it.

On 13/02/2022 at 13:44, H&Alover said:

Would I be right in thinking Emily Symons is the second longest serving member of cast after Ralph Meagher? 

Another member of the Bronze medallion class: He had several lines in the first session, and John addressed him by name last week, saying he was top of the class.

Depends how you count them.In terms of actual time on the show, Lynne McGranger's way ahead of her, and Ada Nicodemou's been there longer too.

Onto today's and I'm sorry, but it reinforced my opinion that Mia and Chloe are just awful people.Ryder's best off out of it, and Ari just seems to be getting dragged down, turning into a neanderthal thug just looking for any excuse to hit Matthew and then hitting him without one.It increasingly feels as though we're meant to see Matthew as the one in the wrong, yet all we've seen is him try and get to know his daughter in the face of constant threats and hostility from a pair of self-righteous bullies. We're being told he's a bad 'un rather than actually seeing it, and it doesn't help that we're meant to rely on the word of a lying control freak who's basing her assessment on the fact she met him once twenty-odd years ago.I supported Chloe against Mia, but her treatment of Ryder was typically terrible.Given how much she's struggled to keep the business going with his help, I'd love to see how she expects to manage on her own.

Alf's back and already he's insisting that the sun shines out of Marilyn and barking at anyone who criticises her.At least Irene's willing to bark back.I'm confused about at what point Marilyn moved back to the caravan park house: Wasn't she still living with Justin when she was hospitalised?

I have to admit I was surprised at how Chloe was with Ryder yesterday.  I understand that it isn't a particularly good scenario for her being lumbered with her ex but I thought the breakup was amicable enough.  I do understand that she probably feels trapped but when she gave him the cheque and said she wanted him out the business, there was such a coldness.  I would even go as far as saying that she seemed to have such contempt for him.  I do think this is more to do with the situation with her Mum and Matthew.  For me it does reaffirm that she split up with Ryder because of Theo, not necessarily because she wanted to be with him but he made her realise there were other guys out there who she preferred.  It also shows that Ryder is obviously still into her which was why he had a go at Justin (even though he apologised afterwards) and why he let her have his half of the business for free without even putting up much of a fight.

I don't have to much of an issue with the way Chloe is with Mia as Mia is not telling her everything - I'm assuming Mia is telling the truth, purely because I can't recall a single instance when someone who claims to have been 'assaulted' was actually lying.  This is why I'm not as annoyed with Mia as I normally would be, because I find her actions very understandable.

It's hard to really form an opinion on Matthew, because since he's been here, he's hardly put a foot wrong.  He gave Mia the opportunity to tell Chloe and he's given Chloe the chance to get to know him at her own pace.  He did seem oblivious to what he did when he spoke to Mia so you would think he's not a bad person.  Again assuming Mia is telling the truth.  Although this was quite similar with Grant, until he boasted about what happened with Charlie, then Ross killed him.

Hilarious Marilyn had a go at Justin for walking into the Stewarts when she let herself into his place and walked in on him and Leah in bed together the week before last.

Really, not happy Alf's back although I did find him having a go at Irene slightly amusing.  Sorry to hear about Martha though.

Cheers for that Red.  I suppose Emily did disappear for a few years rather than months so not continuous service.   Actually she's fifth on the list behind Lynne, Ada and Kate.  

Mia is in a tricky position - well she sees it that way - telling Chloe she was the result of an assault - clever avoidance of the r word and how  she thinks Chloe would react to it.  Many mums in soaps have been there, but the truth always comes out eventually.  Ari is right she has to tell her her side of things in case Chloe hears/overhears  it from anyone else.  Chloe is an adult and pretty streetwise so can make her own mind up with the news, then she can tackle Matthew. Matthew so far has been very circumspect and hasn't cast any aspirations on Mia or spun his own version of events. Mia could have taken the alternative route and had the abortion, it wouldn't have been an easy decision a single 16 year old girl, even with the money Matthew's mum gave her. 

Mia did have the perfect opening  when Chloe tackled her again but let it go and Ari could have said something but as he said himself it isn't his place.  Ari had restrained himself from thumping Matthew but last night he snapped but again did refrain from blurting out the truth about how Chloe was conceived.  Though once again it depends on whose point of view/remembrance you go by. Ari is protecting his 'family' by an outsider who he sees as a threat and has money behind him and can talk the talk.  Not looking good seeing as Chloe has driven off with Matthew.  I don't know if that is part of his plan, getting to know a long lost child is one thing, but suddenly finding yourself looking after them is another.  Not that Chloe needs much looking after, she's 20,but she may want to move in with him. 

Matthew, so far, is coming across as an OK guy, though his giving Chloe the money to pay off her side of the debt is true absent, though not his fault, behaviour and something else to wind up Ari & Mia.  It could look like he was buying her affections and she had seemed determined that she and Ryder pay it off together without help, but now they have spilt working together is getting harder and Ryder is on in the secret about who Matthew is. 

Good question though money wise no problem her paying off her side of the debt, but how is she going to run it by herself, Ryder was a big part of it, getting the groceries, helping her cook it all, delivering it.   She's paid her side, but how is Ryder meant to pay off his share, he's just handed his half of the business to her.  I know they changed it from cucaracha and I know how to say it, but I don't know how to spell it, apart from the fact it sounds like underlay.?

Nice dodge by Matthew when he was quizzed by Irene as to how he knew Chloe and that was one bloody long break Chloe took unless she was working in between her moments on screen. ?  Chloe was very snappy with Ryder when he wanted to grill her about her, Theo and that kiss, and letting their customers down without letting him know. But she had just had a bombshell dropped in her lap so that wouldn't be the top of her things to fret about. 

I think Marilyn took herself back to the Stewart's after she came out of hospital the last time and after her bust up with Justin because he defended Mac. Although he didn't have to I like how Justin went round to see Marilyn and offered the take away as a peace offering. 

Apart from her being on her best behaviour - Justin's opinion too -  when he first came back Alf has only heard Marilyn's version and doesn't know not only the half of it but the whole of it.  He was worried enough to come back after all and her 'everything is OK'  line wouldn't wash, he's known her too long.   It isn't only Irene Marilyn has rubbed up the wrong way, there's Leah, Mac and Logan, well he's a different matter altogether.   He has to hear their stories and realise its not just Irene having a downer on Maz. 

Alf may have been exaggerating a bit,  Marilyn hasn't always worked in the Diner in it's various guises, she has done other jobs. ?

Mac can come across as snobby, Amber did nickname her Princess, but she didn't ask to be born into a family with money, but it doesn't help her see things from the ordinary person's prospective. 

The show continues to do a really bad job of giving me a reason to side with Ari and Mia. I think Ari punching Matthew had less to do with protecting his family and more to do with dying to dish out some alpha male punishment since Mia told him what happened. We're presumably meant to see Matthew's threat as "Aha, see, he's not that nice after all"...except he's not doing anything Mia hasn't done herself.She was the one that attempted to blackmail him into staying away with threats to report him for "sexual assault", while he's tried to be reasonable and has just gone to the same level she's been at all along. It's not even as though Ari isn't guilty!

Well, I guess even Alf isn't blinkered enough to ignore Marilyn sniping at Logan.I think they overstated her reaching out to him a bit:She's reached out to lots of people only to back off once they don't give her what she wants.

I did notice Felicity's frantic reaction to Anne writing a suicide text from her.Triggering, I guess, even if she's not willing to admit it's what her father did.It's hard to tell just how much she's in denial.

Once again, still laughing and shaking my head at Marilyn's bluntness with Logan.

Ari's anger management issues have indeed resurfaced.  I do agree that it was more about punishing Matthew than it was protecting Chloe.  Matthew's lucky that's all Ari did to him.  I actually don't have an issue with him blackmailing Mia as he tried to be reasonable again and unless she tells Chloe the truth, she can't actually stop them from seeing each other.  The way she was looking at Matthew when Chloe got into his car, I do wonder if she will decide to take matters into her own hands eventually.

Felicity understandably came across slightly intense, when she was talking to Tane about her father's death.  I don't know.  Maybe there is a possibility she could be right.

Well, neither Cash nor Felicity was willing to compromise their views.Felicity was probably asking a bit much expecting Cash to run an investigation.Still, it feels like there's been progress.Felicity didn't disappear off and pretend it wasn't happening, she was there to see Cash off and she's got Jasmine and Tane there with her this time.It does feel awkwardly as though Tane's more of a social worker for her than a friend/boyfriend at times though.

Alf persevered in a gentle but blunt-speaking way with Marilyn, and seemingly made a bit of a break-through with the help of Roo and some news about Martha.So, Logan's one troublesome patient down, one to go.It's hard to know whether Dean's doing the right thing by deciding he's not going to surf again or not: It does feel a bit premature but I guess it gives him a bit of certainty...but using his vast medical knowledge to decide it's all Logan's fault isn't particularly healthy.And how can he not like talking cars?!

9 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Well, neither Cash nor Felicity was willing to compromise their views.Felicity was probably asking a bit much expecting Cash to run an investigation.Still, it feels like there's been progress.Felicity didn't disappear off and pretend it wasn't happening, she was there to see Cash off and she's got Jasmine and Tane there with her this time.It does feel awkwardly as though Tane's more of a social worker for her than a friend/boyfriend at times though.

Alf persevered in a gentle but blunt-speaking way with Marilyn, and seemingly made a bit of a break-through with the help of Roo and some news about Martha.So, Logan's one troublesome patient down, one to go.It's hard to know whether Dean's doing the right thing by deciding he's not going to surf again or not: It does feel a bit premature but I guess it gives him a bit of certainty...but using his vast medical knowledge to decide it's all Logan's fault isn't particularly healthy.And how can he not like talking cars?!

In fairness, Cars 2 was the worst of the trilogy (If that's the film he watched) .

Cars 3, However is fantastic!

Archived