2021 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Alf certainly had an eye opener when he  heard how Marilyn spoke to Logan.  He then listened to Irene explain how Maz has been acting and reacting to people.  Of course once he tried to help she accused him of being manipulated by Logan and the others.  But her phone call to him came across to him as someone who really needed his help.  He said at one time he hadn't heard anything from her for months then that phone call/voice mail.  Logan isn't a psychiatrist and the way people's minds are affected by something like what Marilyn went through is very complex. It certainly wouldn't show up on any scans. I'm glad Alf persevered though and I think the fact Martha was going to need a transplant put her problems into prospective.  I did like her little quip as she left about them visiting and seeing her in her straitjacket - that was a flash of the old Maz.   I do hope TPTB don't have Marilyn recover in just a couple of days, pretty sure it wouldn't happen that way for real. 

Talking of Martha and her needing a new kidney and Roo & Alf looking at live donors -  Alf is out of the equation because of his heart problems, Roo is a possible, but wouldn't Kieran also be out of the frame because of his drink problem?  Of course it's not a given either of them would be a match. I don't know if Irene would be viable, but then there is Leah.  

I do wish Mia would stop being so stubborn in her refusal to tell Chloe what happened that night.  Doesn't she trust Chloe to make a grown up decision about it?  Matthew has been very patient in not saying anything to Chloe and colouring her opinion. Chloe may be a right little madam sometimes but she was very loyal to Ari by not telling Matthew why he left her and Mia - just that it happened.  You didn't need to be a Sherlock Holmes to know what he'd do next, then hold it against Mia into letting him see Chloe otherwise he'd get Ari charged with assault. Out of all them Tane is coming across as the reasonable and sane one.  Has Mia forgotten Chloe is 20 so she can't tell her want to do and who she can and can't see. Bad enough when they are kids or teenagers - never works, they just do it on the quiet. 

Back off Ziggy, yes we all agree Dean is being far too premature by getting rid off all  his boards, but nagging him about it is just going to push him away, you ought to know that by now.  The board shop doesn't bring in  enough of an income, the surf school was the main bread winner. Last time round when he had his first accident he was told he definitely wouldn't be able to play football again so he's taking Logan's not being able to give a  guarantee as a  never.  I wonder if there is a psychological fear there too?   A lot of patients become experts on their own medical problem - blame Dr. Google.  

Flick is intense in a lot of things she does.  I wonder if that is the way she copes with the trauma she went through - mum dying and dad commiting suicide, she was very young.   At least this time Cash doesn't have to worry about her taking off as she usually does as she has Jas and Tane looking out for her.  Jas did try and help with her telling Flick of how she couldn't visit Robbo's grave as seeing it  would have made it real.   That isn't the real problem with Flick though, she is convinced her dad was murdered.  Whether that is her way of coping and she'd rather think/believe that than admit he could commit suicide and leave her and Cash we don't really know.   Could there be something in it, Cash was the one that found him? 

John went through a similar thing when he was a kid and he and his mum covered up his dad's suicide and how it affected him later on in life. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jasmine is a pain in the backside.  I know Cash spoke to her about Felicity but when she's not with him she just seems to involve herself in other people's business.

Alf has the magic touch.  Marilyn refuses to see Logan after weeks of close friends trying to convince her otherwise, he has one conversation and she immediately agrees.

Still not enjoying the Dean/Ziggy snoozefest and remain displeased with Dean's attitude towards Logan.

Theo wasn't quite as bad as when he first came in, but he was still being an obnoxious twerp.At least he's stopped backchatting Justin, I guess.That was a pretty nasty trick to pull on Nikau though.I was amused at the fact Ryder hung up on Bella the moment she mentioned Theo.

Logan seems to be the resident miracle worker here, coming up with a better way of handling things for Martha and then discovering that the way to Dean's heart is through his stomach.I loved Dean's WTF expression at Logan turning up with beer and pizza as if they weren't arguing. It seemed like a scene got cut: Mackenzie and Bella talk about witnessing an argument between Dean and Ziggy but we don't see it.I did like Bella cheerily reminiscing about the days when she was the nightmare sibling causing trouble for the partner.

Before I forget- I think voice over guy had a memory lapse on Wednesday as he definitely said "and now for Monday's episode of H&A". ?

Did take more than one conversation between Alf and Marilyn before she agreed all was not well with her, she accused him of being in league with the others.

I do remember the way Bella was with Mac - a real pain in the arse.  It wasn't until the siege she finally came round and decided Max wasn't that bad after all. Shows how much she has grown up and that she cares enough about Mac that she isn't caught in between Dean & Logan and feels forced to chose. 

Logan having a pizza and beer or two ???with Dean has worked before, with Logan just ignoring Dean's sulk.? 

Didn't Mac inadvertently  start the argument between Ziggy and Dean or walk in on it?  ?

Theo seems to have regressed back to a 12 year old!   He had mentioned 'borrowing' the Polaris before but Ryder and Chloe talked him out of it, but now Ryder isn't there and Chloe has other more weighty things on her mind.  No wonder he hasn't any friends, he just uses them to help him get his kicks. That was a low trick he played on Nik who got it in the neck from John. He was bloody lucky the Polaris ran out of fuel before he did crash it and before he hurt himself or an innocent bystander.

Oh and he does work - Justin mentioned that apart from work he hadn't been out - not even to walk Buddy - ??

How come no-one else has mentioned before that Martha could have dialysis at home?  Both Alf and Martha seem very up for it, though maybe jumping the gun, but Roo didn't seem too keen.  She was fussing around Martha too much, not surprised she snapped at her. Would the house be suitable, where would they put it?  Ryder has kind of filled Alf in on the latest news about the loan and how Chloe has paid back her share, but he still needs to pay back his. 

Theo's back to being punchable again, stealing the Polaris.  He really thinks the sun shines out of his backside and it was annoying how he couldn't see why what he did was wrong.  I actually hope John does report him to the police but I won't hold my breath.

Well, Bella and Mackenzie are OK.  They actually seem to be getting on quite well.  I wasn't sure if there would be tension after Mackenzie got Dean to fire her.

I'm glad Ziggy pointed out to Dean that he needed to get things into perspective re Logan.  I do agree with him that surfing is a massive part of his life but if it wasn't for Logan he would be six feet under.  Was it really the food that won him over or the beer?

Funny, I thought the money Chloe gave, Ryder was to pay for her share of the debt that was owed to Alf, not half of the business as he rejected that.  I'll assume Ryder was economical with the truth as he didn't want to explain to Roo and Alf he turned down the extra cash as he was still heartbroken.

I wonder how much longer it will be until John, or the writers rather, realise that the surf club's ATV isn't actually a Polaris... it's a Can-Am. It's been going on a fair few years now! ?

New name idea for Ryder & Theo's channel - The Bartender and the Thief.

I'll get my coat...

Alf's episode count this week: Five! (Guess he's making up for lost time.) Irene was in four, but she wasn't credited on Thursday, so I'm guessing that scene was moved from the previous episode.

Theo was even more objectionable today. Even having Nikau threatening to knock his block off didn't dent his arrogance. And John's attempt to give him a punishment fell rather flat.I must admit, I didn't really know what this "Polaris" they kept talking about was until this week: I was picturing something more like a jet ski! So Theo's got Ryder back to keep him at least vaguely on the straight and narrow. Even though she was obviously only in the episode to make up her quota, I quite liked the interplay between Ryder and Mackenzie.

So, seems it's not as simple as sending Martha home after all: If nothing else, her family need to buy a dialysis machine themselves.Alf was being unnecessarily snappy again, but I guess it's a stressful time.

Archived