2021 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bay had it's own version of Meena! She was very convincing too when she wanted to be.   Anne even used one of her expressions - "knight in shining armour". Lots of other parallels too,  her behaviour swinging from 'concerned' friend when speaking to Jasmine to us seeing her threatening a tied up Flick, yet still feigning care and suggesting she get her some company.   Then later pretending to Tane she was worried about Flick, then letting him in on a 'secret' that she knew where Flick was.  Wasn't it handy that she drugged him just enough that he was able to be driven to the shack in the woods and walk from the car to it before collapsing, mind the whack on the back of his head contributed. Echoes again of Meena, except that time Vinny had followed her to a deserted barn but he still got a whack on the head. 

She certainly knew how to handle that organic phosate and where did that taser come from - another off the net purchase?  Rather academic now but how did she get Flick there - drug her too and bundle her into her car. 

Good point if Anne had got her evil way Tane and Flick would have been  found dead in a toxin filled shack in the middle of nowhere.  She may be nuts but not stupid so would have untied them and made it look like Flick had done it, leaving the evidence behind and putting Flick's prints on the canister and other items. 

Threw Anne completely when Flick struck back by stabbing her, put her off her stride a bit. 

From what I could gather she's had a very extreme crush on Tane for a long while but he's never even noticed her, she had to remind him of her name, don't know why she is an attractive girl/woman.  She mentioned the fact he always seemed to be going home with a different woman when he'd been in the club, but there she was in front of him and nothing. That would imply she had been working there before Flick turned up even if they had been buddies for a while - she knew how Flick and Cash's dad died, not something I don't think Flick finds easy to talk about, so when she found out Flick had hooked up with 'her' man she snapped.  Did the roses start appearing after Ryder's 21st Birthday party which was when Tane and Flick had their row in front of Anne and that was the first she knew they'd been seeing each other?  ? 

I think if Cash had mentioned Flick saying Anne was behind it because of the post to her, Jas would have backed it up as she was there when Anne was hovering - Jas told her to keep it down. Then the cops could have traced who jane_doe was. I suppose the first thought that went through Ari's mind was Flick had got Tane.  Cash is a better cop than Darren had him down as he spotted he was being tailed.?  That was definitely the decider that something was wrong - the fact the album had been left behind.   

Blindingly obvious the text Anne sent wouldn't be worded  the way Flick would word it  meaning Cash would know she was in danger.   OK the police already had  a tracker on Flick's phone but how amazing it worked so well Cash & Ari were able to find the shack in woods!  Totally against police procedures of course but there was no time to round up a posse search team, they only just made it as it was. Anne was still protesting her innocence even though she was togged up in all that protective garb. 

Not a surprise that after her initial falling into Cash's arms Flick would turn on him for doubting her innocence.  I think Tane will talk her round and we could even see them as  a couple in the future, not right away, it's too soon.  Flick didn't have to apologise to Tane about 'dragging' him into her troubles, she had no idea Anne was as disturbed as she apparently is. 

It's long been a rule that booze being kept in Irene's house has been banned.  She's OK with it being brought in if there is a party or dinner as long as it it's gone when it's over.  Marilyn has always known that so her bringing  in a bottle of Brandy was not right. I reckon Jas and Irene thought they had turned a corner when Marilyn told them she felt scared about going to sleep and not waking up, it didn't last long.  Her snapping at Irene in the Diner about her feeling she had to take criticism without speaking her mind was wrong, she can and has done spoken up when pushed.  

The Chloe/Ryder/Theo story didn't really fit, but I guess we needed some light relief.  Just as well Theo wasn't allergic to sea food could have ended differently.  Theo seemed to take the  apology from Ryder well who was magnanimous in defeat, but was that just a ruse? 

I think there has been a very brief reference of Chloe's dad in the past, but he certainly hadn't been in her life for long.  Chloe was a toddler when Mia and Ari got together. I don't know if  at some point Chloe asked Mia about him. Where has he been until now and why now?  Not going to be  a good reason that's for sure. Glad Ari spotted Mia was lying about the phone call and called her out about it. 

So all that because Tane didn't give Anne attention.  Takes jealousy to a whole nother level.  Presumably Anne made the decision to kill Tane after the way he spoke to her at the club.  Seems as though Felicity stabbing Anne ultimately led to her and Tane's rescue.  We'll see if Felicity gets an apology from Mackenzie and Nikau but I don't think so.  Despite the fact Felicity let Cash console her, I felt sorry for her as she's still pretty hurt.  I think that even Tane, (the guy she took an AVO out on and she was arrested for the attempted murder of) didn't think she did it.  I did like the way Felicity and Tane sort of acknowledged each other at the police station.  One thing's for sure, Tane is going to think twice before having a one night stand again!

I really liked Cash and Ari teaming up.  Thought it worked quite well and they could be viable as mates.

I did find Marilyn trying to hit on Detective Nasser quite amusing, particularly his shock.  Looks like she scared him off.

Whilst I can see Ari's point that Felicity's got other things to worry about at the moment (ie she's used up her episodes for the week), I hope Nikau does apologise to her at one point. (Actually, there's probably a long line of people that deserve Felicity or Tane an apology...) To be honest, I think Nikau's beating himself up more than necessary: He might have been the first to jump on the "It's all Felicity's fault" band waggon, but the police would probably have jumped to the same conclusion even without him stirring things.

So we get to hear a bit about Chloe's father. I might end up looking foolish here, because Home and Away doesn't tend to do shades of grey with regards consent these days (except with Mick, I guess, who rather perversely was treated in a kinder fashion than his victim), but we're talking 20 years ago here, when people may not have had the same awareness as now as to what's appropriate with someone who's too drunk to know what they're doing.Of course, even without that, Matthew doesn't sound like much of a charmer, if he let his mother pay Mia off.

And still no disabled access in Salt? Stairs are great if you want to show off your miracle recovery, not so great if you're permanently in a wheelchair and being treated like a second class citizen. And it seems Dean and Ziggy have decided that any old bed will do, not just a hospital one. Given that Logan said he'd take Dean for a spin the next day, him turning up shouldn't have been a surprise, but not the outcome they were hoping for.

On 27/01/2022 at 15:29, H&Alover said:

The bay had it's own version of Meena! 

I thought I was the ONLY one who saw THOSE Parallels!

15 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

And still no disabled access in Salt? Stairs are great if you want to show off your miracle recovery, not so great if you're permanently in a wheelchair and being treated like a second class citizen. And it seems Dean and Ziggy have decided that any old bed will do, not just a hospital one. Given that Logan said he'd take Dean for a spin the next day, him turning up shouldn't have been a surprise, but not the outcome they were hoping for.

I thought they'd honestly got that Fixed after Jett had to be carried up but... Just like the creaky-ass front door at Summer Bay House when Michael was still alive, things take a while!

There are women and men like that out there and she wasn't an one night stand, just someone he didn't 'see'  so not even a Fatal Attraction scenario.

Nik does want to apologise which he should, good to see he is adult enough to acknowledge he was wrong, he did stir up all the social media abuse meaning a lot more people knew about it than if he hadn't and he was so convinced she was guilty.  Maybe when she gets out of hospital/rested aka she's done her time out we'll see it on screen. There are others that need to apologise.  Could she bring a claim of wrongful arrest against the police?  Nik and Bella's social media/phone fast didn't last long. ?

I'm guessing Mia doesn't watch any soaps as she'd know that insisting on keeping secrets from your son/daughter about their parentage is never a good idea as it always comes back to bite you on the bum.  I'm thinking Matthew wasn't much older than Mia - she was 16 -  17/18 hence mummy stepping in and paying Mia off as she was from the other side of the tracks? She did say he thought she'd had the abortion.  I wrongly assumed he would be a working class type who maybe did a runner when he found out, my bad.  I wonder what Mia has told Chloe about her dad, she would have asked at some time. 

One thing if she hasn't spoken to or heard  from him for over 20 years how did she know it was actually him? ?  Fair enough he may have seen the gym advertised on social media which would have the gyms number on it but how did he get her personal number? 

I had exactly the same thought as you Red about the fact it sounded like  Matthew had sex with Mia when she may not have been in a state to consent or know what was happening.  Nowadays it would be considered as rape, but the law was different then, so such a charge didn't exist, it's only recently been considered a crime. 

Bet your bottom ? he'll be turning up soon. 

This has got nothing to do with gender.  I was talking about Tane as an individual.  You missed the part where Anne went into a rant to Tane about how he was picking up girls whilst she was oblivious to him.  The picking up girls and ignoring her is what triggered the jealousy.  Felicity was the final straw, which caused Anne to eventually escalate things.

Nikau was a lot better in that episode.  I wasn't expecting him to apologise to Felicity so I'm glad he wants to and feels so remorseful about it.  I disagree with Ari too and think it may be good for Felicity to hear it.  Her supposed best mate tried to kill her.  She feels her brother didn't have her back and doesn't have many friends.  Hearing the person who started the online campaign may make her feel vindicated.

John surprised me.  He's normally pretty unrepentant about some of his remarks.  Perhaps Marilyn being unpleasant to him has made him reassess things.  The way he was talking to Logan about her makes me wonder if he still has a thing for her.

Ari and Mia haven't been as annoying since Tane ended up in hospital.  So Chloe's dad slept with Mia whilst she was out drunk.  If that was the case, she probably could have squeezed more money out of Chloe's nan.

Not sure how Bella's been paying her rent.

Alf's episode count:Suspended. Another quiet week for most of the cast with only Irene, Leah, Marilyn and Justin managing three episodes.

I quite like the idea of Bella working at Salt, although her performance left a lot to be desired. (Didn't she help out at the Diner when she was staying with Irene, or was that just in the kitchen?) Her taking her break in the middle of an order just because Nikau came in was sloppy, but the rest just felt like teething troubles and part of the problem is Mackenzie giving her an easy ride because they're friends rather than making it clear what's acceptable.Were they out of uniforms or has Mackenzie given up on trying to make her extended family wear them?

Logan attempted a rational argument to counter Dean being prepared to never drive again, but it didn't really work: It took Ziggy reminding him of good things associated with driving to convince him to...start the engine. (Well, they probably went a bit further than that!) If Bella's floundering in her new job, Nikau's doing even worse, neither being good at it nor enjoying himself. Leah's got a bit of a point about Theo and Ryder's videos being out there forever: How easy would it be to take them down if they decided to become stockbrokers?

I kind of wonder how long Flick was friends with Anne surely alarm bells would have been ringing long before this Tane thing 

I also wonder about Mia and Matthew Mia and Ari were going to have a baby and I’m meant to believe that Mia never once mentioned Choles dad hmmm

Ziggy I thought she pretty much pressured Dean into trying to drive because he was holding her back on cars she wanted to work on 

Also they managed sex before Dean managed the stairs so I don’t know what she was banging on about last week lol

Nik didn’t seem that interested in life saving either but of course he will get the job

Leah Theo will either get a job in surf club garage or diner that’s where he will have a career 

Didn't I say Tane never 'saw' Anne?  Felicity was the last straw as she was her friend, had Anne ever said to Felicity she liked Tane and maybe thought Felicity had 'pinched' her bloke.

Shoot me down again but I  think Ari was suggesting Nik give it a few days before apologising to Flick.

Quite a quiet episode on Friday which was needed after all the drama on Thursday - I had recorded it and had to enter a code no. to be able to see it which I usually get when there is violence or upsetting scenes in a programme. Pretty brave of the makers to show such graphic scenes so early in the evening. 

Both Bella and Nik have been floating - Nik had only been filling in for Dean - and wouldn't be full time. 

Bella was only doing a trial shot at Salt so maybe that is why no uniform was required? ? OK her dropping the plate can happen to anyone, despite Mac saying "Not in my restaurant", bit saucy her offering the diner a free dessert to make up for it. ? Her sloping off to talk to Nik mid taking a customers order wasn't nor was her taking her break just like that.  Confused with the thing with Logan, had she got his order wrong or was it a bit of a wind up?  Mack didn't actually say to Bella she wouldn't be employing her, just she'd call her when needed.  They do live together after all and has been proved before living and working together doesn't always work. 

Ziggy did get Dean's motor revving that's for sure.?️  I like Dean and Logan's exchanges, Dean's stroppiness doesn't phase him at all because as he said and did in the hospital he's seen a lot worse.  May partly be a selfish reason Ziggy wants Dean back driving himself, but the longer he leaves it the harder it will be.  He could start by just driving round the farm to get his confidence back.

Walking on a flat surface is a lot different to going up and down stairs, using different muscles for  a start. 

John can come across as stuffy a lot of the time and likes things to be precise which would/could come across as boring to the young crew he had on the Life Saving lesson but he was right, a message read wrong could end badly so Nik was doing himself no favours by not listening then flouncing out.  Of course John still cares for Maz even if they aren't together, they knew each other as friends long before they become a couple.  Oh Gerald got  a mention - he's on holiday again!?

OK, the chilli challenge Theo could get away with if any future employer should see it but him prancing about in his under shorts in public is another  matter, not the best image to portray, but Leah is getting way ahead of herself and I can't see Theo being persuaded to tone it down.  

Back when it happened - 20 years ago -  it wouldn't have occurred to Mia that what Matthew did was wrong, she was only 16, they were both drunk though he wasn't that drunk he couldn't perform.   Plus of course again back then it was always the woman's 'fault' if she was too drunk not to know what was going on. 

Mathew hasn't been mentioned on screen before but that doesn't mean Mia hadn't told Ari about him off screen like when they first met.  

Archived