2021 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I found the scenes with Amber and Mackenzie interesting.  When Mackenzie initially walked up to Dean/Amber/Jai, Amber looked apprehensive and was getting ready to have another argument but then she seemed bemused when Mackenzie was being nice to Jai and seemed OK with Mackenzie afterwards.  It's a shame Amber reverted to being childish due to petty jealousy because Dean didn't tell her his plans, she saw him with Ziggy, put two and two together and came up with five.  Although I do think she has a point.  Perhaps she should move out and find her own place.  She obviously still has a thing for Dean so them living together complicates matters.

Part of me thinks Mackenzie shouldn't tell Ari about the baby but it was hard to argue with Dean's reasoning.  I really, really didn't like Ziggy putting her foot down with Dean like that.  Presumably, Mackenzie is trying to arrange a termination but I'm not sure if she will actually go through with it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Zig had just thrown Tane out and wasn't talking to him, but perhaps she felt it was better to nip it in the bud now rather then get in more deep.  

Dean is seeing it from the other side, but he would have been a completely guy to the one we know now, Amber knew what he was like back then- six years remember-  and I'm guessing made her decision on that knowledge. Would he have been good dad material?  Ari is a lot older than Dean would have been, though not necessarily wiser, he's got a steady job, family to support him, a home.  I do feel she should tell Ari but I can see why she doesn't want to as she has explained.   It doesn't matter how many people she speaks to, what advice they give her, the ultimate decision is hers.  Would she just be able to go and have an abortion without getting any counselling?

Definitely a genuine case of it wasn't what it looked like when Amber saw Dean & Ziggy together, but he can't tell her the real reason without blowing Mac's secret. Did we see a touch of the green eyed monster or was it really her annoyed Dean ducked out of taking Jai to school to go and see Mac but couldn't tell her where he was going and why?  Btw, everyone's assuming Amber is at the flat long term not that is only temporary until she finds a place of own once she's earning.  You can't be moving little Jai again, it's not fair on the little lad. 

Was a tense moment when Mac ran into Dean, Jai and Amber, especially the latter considering their past history, but thanks to Jai it went well, Mac's never had a problem with him.  It was all kept polite between them too.   By the heck that was quite a talk Dean & Mac had by the time they said bye, it was dark.  Did notice it got Dean out of unpacking at the flat.?  Brief mention of Bella, was she staying at Nik's to avoid being around Amber or because of their recent experience?  Was it because they'd done their three days the reason we didn't see Ryder, Nik or Bella? 

Well Kieran vanishing just meant he had to be gone so no-one else saw him - simples. I thought Irene handled that all very well, kept Marilyn well out of the way without giving too much away while she talked to Martha, letting her think she believed what she was saying, as Martha does believe what she 'saw' was real.  Of course Irene can understand about hiding an errant son from public view.  It brought Alf and Roo back down to earth with a bump though, they thought things were going well with Martha doing her 'painting' in the van, only for Irene to break the bad news.  The usual 'why didn't we see it' comment was made, but you don't because (a) you're too close and (b) Martha was very clever.  OK she's agreed, reluctantly, to see a counsellor, but no guarantee she'll talk to them or tell them the truth, BUT, hold on wasn't she already seeing a counsellor??  I felt so sorry for Alf, saying he felt useless, Martha having her mental problems resurface, losing the Surf Club residency.  Maz said the right thing, this time he could help her, unlike last time as he knew about it and be there for her.

Talking of Maz, it seems Susie is upping her game and stirring up trouble between her and John.  Were those divorce papers in that envelope?

10 hours ago, Slade said:

I found the scenes with Amber and Mackenzie interesting.  When Mackenzie initially walked up to Dean/Amber/Jai, Amber looked apprehensive and was getting ready to have another argument but then she seemed bemused when Mackenzie was being nice to Jai and seemed OK with Mackenzie afterwards.  It's a shame Amber reverted to being childish due to petty jealousy because Dean didn't tell her his plans, she saw him with Ziggy, put two and two together and came up with five.  Although I do think she has a point.  Perhaps she should move out and find her own place.  She obviously still has a thing for Dean so them living together complicates matters.

Part of me thinks Mackenzie shouldn't tell Ari about the baby but it was hard to argue with Dean's reasoning.  I really, really didn't like Ziggy putting her foot down with Dean like that.  Presumably, Mackenzie is trying to arrange a termination but I'm not sure if she will actually go through with it.

8 hours ago, H&Alover said:

I thought Zig had just thrown Tane out and wasn't talking to him, but perhaps she felt it was better to nip it in the bud now rather then get in more deep.  

Dean is seeing it from the other side, but he would have been a completely guy to the one we know now, Amber knew what he was like back then- six years remember-  and I'm guessing made her decision on that knowledge. Would he have been good dad material?  Ari is a lot older than Dean would have been, though not necessarily wiser, he's got a steady job, family to support him, a home.  I do feel she should tell Ari but I can see why she doesn't want to as she has explained.   It doesn't matter how many people she speaks to, what advice they give her, the ultimate decision is hers.  Would she just be able to go and have an abortion without getting any counselling?

1. To me, this is the thing that always annoys regarding story arcs with feminist undertones. When done sloppily, it can undermine the message by having the characters act as toxic as the men who would oppress them. Mac is excluding a parent out of the situation simply for her own benefit. And Ziggy treating Dean like she did just because he didn't agree with lying to Ari was just plain wrong. 

And both of them showed a very deluded sense of entitlement when it came to Dean to start with. They both know how much he had to go through because Amber did the same thing. So how on God's green earth did they think he was gonna feel about this, especially toward a man he owes a lot of loyalty too.

2. Speaking of Amber, she has given various reasons for hiding Jai from Dean, but him not being a fit father at the time was never one of them. Plus it would be hypocritical of her to say so since its implied that she wasn't exactly a saint in her youth either. Also, I haven't heard anything about Dean's past that implied he wouldn't have shaped up to be a good dad then if given the chance or that he was a dangerous influence for Jai.

While Susie's unpleasant and John really needs to stop letting her pull his strings, Marilyn isn't coming across any better with the way she's treating John just as badly as Susie's treating Alf, constantly belittling and disrespecting him and making baseless accusations.So I really can't feel sorry for her at all and those divorce papers are probably about due.

Otherwise, not a lot that requires deep analysis.I'm not quite sure how I feel about Lewis and Jasmine, although she did seem relaxed around him.Leah and Justin were quite fun, and Jasmine and Willow had a nice scene together.Willow gets to come to Dean's rescue again and point out that Amber's being a bit crazy: She really needs to lose this knee-jerk reaction to take Jai and leave every time Dean annoys her.She did seem impressed by him playing the responsible dad...and yeah, it is hard to imagine early 2018 Dean taking to fatherhood quite so well.

It's not helping me think more of Susie than I perhaps should that John is acting way out of character, he would, even if he doesn't know the circumstances,  have been  more patient with getting Alf to sign those papers, he's not normally in such a rush.  Marilyn was told to stay out of John's life so of course she is now standing up for Alf who's not in the right frame of mind to do it himself, if Martha or Roo were not otherwise occupied they'd be doing it.  Why is Susie suddenly pushing John  to serve the divorce papers on Marilyn and why did she take upon herself to give them to her in such a dismissive manner? Does it mean once Marilyn and John are no longer legally married, Marilyn would lose any claim to any money/assets John has and that is how Susie wants it?  Are those accusations totally groundless, what was with the looking up of the Surf Club's bank account?   Fair enough John would may want to review Dean's place there and even the gym - putting their rent up - but methinks she'd get rid of Dean at a drop of a hat if she had her way. 

That was a nice, relaxed scene with Lewis and Jasmine who had needed a little nudge from Willow. I liked her dress btw. Enjoy the lull while it lasts guys. 

I know Willow has been accused of sticking her oar in when it's not been needed, but this time it was, someone had to point out to Amber she couldn't keep separating Jai and Dean.  He couldn't tell Amber why he was talking to Ziggy, he can't tell Willow. There will be plenty of days Dean can take Jai to school.?  Had to laugh at the list of instructions Amber gave Dean when he went to collect Jai, don't forget this, that and be nice to the teacher, maybe take an apple.??

Just going to put this out here Does anyone else find the fighting that Ari and Tane can do quite ridiculous with all the spinning kicks lol

Ari should have taken a flying jumping leap at that speeding car and landed on the opposite side on his feet haha

I hate the way Ziggy has involved herself within their family though she's very annoying 

53 minutes ago, pembie said:

Just going to put this out here Does anyone else find the fighting that Ari and Tane can do quite ridiculous with all the spinning kicks lol

Ari should have taken a flying jumping leap at that speeding car and landed on the opposite side on his feet haha

I hate the way Ziggy has involved herself within their family though she's very annoying 

I agree with that as reminds me of Phoebe few  years ago when she involved herself in Morgan family and she when she finally official got together with Justin she left after year off messing around getting together. 

I was surprised to read that the actor who plays Arri is only 30, two years older than myself. I thought he would have been around late 30s. He is just 2 years older than Dean and 7 years older than Nikau. Tane looks much older than 29 too but it is the Hulk physique he has that makes him look older.

2 hours ago, marcosb said:

I was surprised to read that the actor who plays Arri is only 30, two years older than myself. I thought he would have been around late 30s. He is just 2 years older than Dean and 7 years older than Nikau. Tane looks much older than 29 too but it is the Hulk physique he has that makes him look older.

Rob looks much older, and I believe that Ari's character is supposed to be in his late 30s. Apparently there's supposed to be a big age difference between Ari and Tane. Anna (Mia) is also 30, but considering that Chloe is at least 18 on the show, Mia's character is probably in her late 30s as well.  

Archived