2021 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

That's, funny the scenes where I saw Christian and Lewis working together they seemed to be on the same wave length as regards Ari's treatment, Lewis didn't appear to be doubting the way Christian was going about things, didn't contradict what he said to Tane, Bella, Nik and co, which I was waiting for, so why would Tori be realising she'd made a mistake, did I miss something?  Was very lucky Bella and Nik came across Ari so quickly, but it is soap land.  Ari has a lot in his favour for a good recovery, though it's no guarantee of course, he's fit, as in healthy behave, youngish in respect of getting through this and NDH is one of soaps miracle hospitals.  

I suppose it was inevitable that Mia's protestations over Ari were just a bluff to cover her real feelings.  Three of the four kidnappee's  have  resurfaced after having done their 'time off', only Ryder missing, not for long though.?    We had been left thinking Chloe didn't want anything to do with Ari, which going by the number of ignored calls would be right, but once again Mia is making decisions without asking her, by deciding they are up and leaving.   Very wise move Alf, "I'll leave you to it."   Nik, Bella and Tane kept their counsel about who could have run Ari down Tane settled on sorting it himself after giving Nik the nod.  Bad timing for Mac who having made the decision and was about to tell Ari the news, even if he was in  a coma, found Mia with him so stepped back.  

I'm confused as whether Tane knew where to find Paul or Paul had told him?  Said before Paul and others like him are all talk when they have their gang around them, but on their own, mostly cowards.   Tane, thankfully, showed a lot of restraint and just brought a beaten up Paul to hospital, more  than he deserved. YC cops can be called and Paul can be charged and he'll be banged up, though I don't see Ari and Tane getting away completely scot free. 

The scenes between Amber and 'Princess' Mac were unexpected, but great all the same.  Good spot by Amber that Mac was "up the duff" and lead to an interesting conversation between the two.  Amber was in a completely different situation as her and Dean weren't  a couple when she got pregnant, whereas Mac and Ari were.  Amber also considered an abortion but would have I guess considering she wouldn't have got much support from mama Francesca.   Dean was mightily shocked when he found them getting on and not knocking lumps out of each other.   Amber insists she doesn't have romantic feelings for Dean, she said so to Willow and Mac, she did admit to Mac she had it real bad for Dean when they were younger but he didn't feel the same, but I don't think I entirely believe her, but it would be tragic for all if they did get back together and it went wrong.   

I think it was the fact Mac is posh and has dosh that got up Amber's nose, feeling maybe she could have helped Dean more in the past, but of course she knew nothing about him , only my guess of course.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Nephlim14 said:

Need I remind that he never complained about whether Mac kept the baby or not, just that she was lying to Ari about it. That's the part of this arc that gave me a headache. They keep treating it like an abortion story, with Dean being the straw misogynist, when thats not even the issue.

I don't think any of us said otherwise? And I don't think we're meant to see Dean as a misogynist.Amber seems to think the same as him, and he didn't even know Mac was considering an abortion until the previous episode.

From what we saw, it seemed like all the sniping was coming from Chloe's side, at least while Nikau and Bella were there, which was pretty insensitive given that Ari still isn't out of the woods.And then the mixed messages go into overdrive and Ryder doesn't have a clue what's going on while Chloe is obviously disappointed at the lack of reciprocation, although at least they seem to be able to work together without wanting to tears strips off each other.That was a bad time to question Alf, but Ryder didn't deserve to be blasted like that.I guess at least Alf apologised afterwards.

I'm glad Bella gave up her shrine, although I'm starting to wonder why her name's on the lease when she seems to have pretty much moved in with the Paratas: She even called their place "home" in yesterday's episode.Jai asks some rather awkward questions of his parents.Ziggy and Tane seem to have got over their spat, and given she seemingly didn't go to the gym until they started dating, she probably went there hoping to see him.That was probably the most relaxed she and Dean have been around each other since their split, so maybe they've both finally accepted it.

Didn't Dean himself say to Amber he had been a jerk back in the day, as in when Jai would have been born, implying he wouldn't have been much use, but he isn't now, he's 'grown up', got  a home, a job, responsibilities and is handling them well, well pretty well most of the time.   Bless him, kids Jai's age see things in such  a simple and clear  way, his mate's mummies and daddies sleep in the same bed so why can't his mummy and daddy?  Wonder how Amber got round that one?  There was nearly a moment between Amber and Dean which she shut down.  She said the same thing I was thinking, although it might be good giving their relationship  another go, it's not just them now if it goes wrong, they could get over it but not Jai. Good news that Amber has a possible job lined up.  Still can't wait for her and Susie to meet.

I wonder where all Chloe's aggression comes from, she's very defensive towards anyone not in her 'family', even her own mum comes in for a lot of flak.  She is right Mia couldn't have  expected her to pack up and move home just because she said so, she is an adult now so has a say in things, anyways that move is on hold for now.  For a supposedly savvy girl Chloe wasn't that bright regards Mia's sudden switch in feelings over Ari, from suddenly 'hating' him to spending all night by his bedside, telling him she loved him.   Methinks Ryder was just totally gobsmacked by that kiss and still wasn't sure how to react to it next day, should he mention it, shouldn't he mention it, how does he it take it, was it a thank you kiss, something more.  With his other girlfriends, Raffy and Coco, he knew them already so  wouldn't have been any unexpected surprises, not that they were boring.  Tell you what, really controversial this,  but why doesn't he just kiss her and see what happens!  Bella did overhear them say the k word which they both denied. 

It was very unlike Alf but that wasn't the best time to ask him how women's minds ticked.  He is terribly worried about Martha and there is nothing he can do. Martha still has it in her mind he's in the wrong and refusing to see him and refusing her meds. Alf did have the good grace to apologise, then he got the news she had walked out of the hospital.

Dean and Ziggy do seem to be in  a better place and she's forgiven Tane having given him a final warning. 

Susie was on the phone to a mysterious someone telling them she has a couple - namely Leah and Justin - who are ripe for the taking - my words.  Is she a con woman?

1 hour ago, H&Alover said:

Didn't Dean himself say to Amber he had been a jerk back in the day, as in when Jai would have been born, implying he wouldn't have been much use, but he isn't now, he's 'grown up', got  a home, a job, responsibilities and is handling them well, well pretty well most of the time.   

Dean and Ziggy do seem to be in  a better place and she's forgiven Tane having given him a final warning. 

Dean did say that but it certainly wasnt about raising Jai. He was referring to when he broke up with Amber, when he (according to Amber's Mom) "used her to get over Willow". It was about them being in a relationship, and even Amber admitted she wasnt blameless in the relationship.

In regards to being there for Jai, she also stated herself that she didnt exactly have it together on her own and even showed up on the show like a party girl on Spring Break. I still see no evidence that Dean was so much of a lost cause back then that leaving him out of Jai's life was for the best.

Also, from what Ive read, Dean did have a job before he came to the bay, it just wasnt stable. Plus, I dont think you should define maturity by whether someone is living life one particular way. If someone is happy living single and childless, they shouldnt be judged for it.

Ziggy didnt give Tane a warning. She basically realised she was bringing her baggage into the relationship and decided to try fresh. 

Irene humouring Martha didn't really help the situation.Even when Martha was trying to get her to tell Alf and Roo what she saw, she was still trying to avoid the conversation, although she did get there in the end.I can see where Alf's coming from but I guess time will tell whether or not it's a sensible decision.At least he's waiting until they've seen the doctor, who would hopefully make Martha coming home be as smooth as possible.

That phone call seemed to suggest Susie was up to something, although I guess it's just about possible that she's getting overly excited about her commission.Still, added to her convincing John to have a fundraiser, it does seem like she's pulling some sort of long con.I guess we'll have to wait to see how it all plays out but if it turns out she isn't really a real estate agent, I'd be curious to know exactly how she's been doing all this.

On 16/04/2021 at 17:05, Nephlim14 said:

Also, from what Ive read, Dean did have a job before he came to the bay, it just wasnt stable. Plus, I dont think you should define maturity by whether someone is living life one particular way. If someone is happy living single and childless, they shouldnt be judged for it.

When and where did I ever judge Dean??  Back in the day Dean wasn't very good  at being able to  hold a job down due to his RB commitments, he only had odd jobs as he wasn't keen on actually learning a trade then, he preferred his life as it was, which as he had no obligations, was just fine.  We'll never know one way or another if things would have worked out with him and Amber, definitely not if they had just got together because she was pregnant and he was on the rebound following Willow.    Also his RB connections could have meant he'd  have been dragged into something dangerous where'd he may have ended up badly injured or dead and he had only just come out of prison. Amber does have her faults but she's done a good job bringing up Jai on her own, he certainly doesn't look as if he has been neglected in anyway, well fed, good clean clothes, well as clean as any young kid can keep their clothes.   Loves his mum, he's bright, not shy, just a normal happy kid. 

I thought Irene played it right actually, keeping Martha on side before reluctantly telling her she had just been talking to herself. I think she saw better than Alf or Roo how fragile Martha was and she did alert Roo, Alf and Ryder as to where Martha was. Shock to them all when they got in Martha's van and Alf wasn't invading Martha's privacy, it's his van so entitled to let himself in, just as well as they did as they then found out what she had been using the van for. 

Hopefully if the docs agree he will be able to take Martha home, usual thing of a patient doing better in their home environment, though it will need than Roo, Ryder and Alf there to look out for her, making sure she takes her meds, getting counselling without making her feel claustrophobic. Is that type of nursing on Amber's CV?

Oh Susie is up to something, I don't doubt she is a bone fide real estate agent, but it's a neat way of getting potential marks hooked.  Justin may not be as up there and financially savvy as Leah is, he's still doing his TAFE course, but even really red hot business types can get conned. She's been very clever not pushing them too hard to sign the contract so they don't lose the house, are the sellers in on it or total innocents?   A clash between Susie  and Irene next week and there is more on her and Lewis - not connected btw.??  Interesting to learn about the law or is it regulation regarding small business owners and them getting home loans/mortgages.  

3 hours ago, H&Alover said:

When and where did I ever judge Dean??  Back in the day Dean wasn't very good  at being able to  hold a job down due to his RB commitments, he only had odd jobs as he wasn't keen on actually learning a trade then, he preferred his life as it was, which as he had no obligations, was just fine.  We'll never know one way or another if things would have worked out with him and Amber, definitely not if they had just got together because she was pregnant and he was on the rebound following Willow.    Also his RB connections could have meant he'd  have been dragged into something dangerous where'd he may have ended up badly injured or dead and he had only just come out of prison. Amber does have her faults but she's done a good job bringing up Jai on her own, he certainly doesn't look as if he has been neglected in anyway, well fed, good clean clothes, well as clean as any young kid can keep their clothes.   Loves his mum, he's bright, not shy, just a normal happy kid. 

I dint mean to say you were judging him, just that you may haave confused the context of his dialogue. When he said he was jerk back then, it was in reference to when he broke up with Amber, not in terms of being involved with Jai. 

When I mentioned Amber raising Jai, it was to point out that she (apparently) wasnt much better than Dean when they started, yet she managed to take care of Jai. Because it sort of points out that she more or less denied Jai the chance of having a father from the start and denied Dean the chance to be a dad, simply because she went on her own insecurities, feaar, and the toxic misplaced anger she got from her mom.

Im only going by my limited knowledge here, but I disagree that Dean's RB connections would have ruined him. From what Ive rea/seen of them, they arent that cookie cutter gang on TV that will set out to ruin one of their own. First off, all the crimes they (seem) to do are more small time and aare more about getting enough money to keep food on the table.

Weve had multiple main characters be part of this group on the show go straight, and (IMO) didnt seem to get much flack from them. And said members always seem to be able to call on them for backup when needed. Heck, Dean managed to call them for help on the Paratas behalf and they were seen shooting pool afterwards. Also didnt Dean mention that a good number of them were having families of their own and were going legit. I dont thiink it would be fair to say they wouldnt have encouraged Dean to go legit and forced him into a bad situation.

Also, my reaction to the whole lifestyle thing is because Im under the impression that media show this double standard to how they think "mature" men/women are supposed to live at a certain age. The first show that brought this on for me was "Party Of Five". The main character was presented as being immature for being single, having one night stands and not interested in raising a family. However, when he was forced by circumstance to take care of his siblings, it was treated as him finally "growing up" as if he was obligated to always do this at some point. I find it sort of hypocritical when you have so many shows where female characters live the same way and yet eiither dont get judged for it or get presented as the ones who are wronged when they are judged.

Alf's episode count this block:Four.

Okay, so, Alf was foolish.The doctors argued against taking Martha home and he did it anyway.She might not quite be at the "threat to herself and others" level, but walking home barefoot from the hospital isn't exactly rational behaviour either.And she's clearly not comfortable with his attempt to act as though nothing's wrong.And of course, then Kieran appears.Another hallucination or the real thing this time? (The end of the episode doesn't make it clear, although the promo largely gives the game away.) It would be ironic if he actually returned right after Martha's accepted that he didn't!

Let me get this straight. They can't pay anything into the surf club accounts if the treasurer's away? So, what was with John insisting on getting Alf's signature so he did have access to the accounts the other week? And is Alf no longer on the committee, given the way Susie dismissed the competition as none of his business? (And why did Roo have her back up about it anyway? To be honest, the way the show has so many people taking against Susie without really explaining why, beyond a rather sulky reaction to John beating Alf in the election, just makes it seem like sour grapes, although Susie has at least well and truly let the mask slip with her hardball behaviour towards people like Alf and Irene.) I'm trying to pay attention to this storyline, but it increasingly feels like another guest villain story where most of the details either don't make sense or are dependent on sheer luck or coincidence.

I'm not quite sure what that stuff with Willow and Ziggy was about, either: It felt like someone had forgotten how the storyline had gone. Okay, Ziggy wasn't too happy when she found out about Willow covering for Colby, but then Willow switched sides and testified against him and Ziggy explicitly approved. When Willow came back, Ziggy was friendly towards her and Willow gave her the cold shoulder for dating Tane (as we even saw in the recap!). So...why was it portrayed here as though Willow was the one wanting to be friends and Ziggy was the one who needed to change her mind?

Archived