Most Popular Character 2014

Dan F

Happy I got 3 of my favourites in top 5!

2. Darryl 'Brax' Braxton - 5

3. Irene Roberts - 4

4. Sally Fletcher - 1

Thanks again everyone involved in the poll! I found myself waking up earlier and earlier everyday these past 10 days to see the latest set of results.

Happy Christmas everyone! xx

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to see the final results of the poll! Well done to Dan and RR1 for his blurbs and for organising this whole poll. It's been fantastic to follow over the last few days.

Irene at number 4 just demonstrates how popular she still is despite not having any well-known storylines since 2005. Irene's a sensational character for mine and is at her best as a foster mother.

Fantastic to see Don finish in the top three and demonstrating that the Early Years episodes have allowed many to remember how well-defined he was as a character. A complex character with a tough exterior but deep down a very caring man to his family and to his students at Summer Bay High.

Alf's rise to the top two was interesting but his longevity on the show was always going to make him a popular character. I think I may have voted him as my top character.

I'm not surprised that Sally won resoundingly yet again! I don't consider myself a huge Sally fan personally but her development on-screen as a little eight year old child to a grown up, responsible and mature woman is what makes her memorable.

I voted for Alf, Don, Irene and Brax so at least 4 out of 5 characters I voted for finished in the top 5. The other character I voted for may have been Ric Dalby from memory.

As I said earlier the poll came up with quite a few surprises (maybe not the winner though but a few surprises on the way!)

The missing 6

As Dan and Red Ranger said earlier 6 current characters who were eligible to vote for did not score a single point! They were Andy, Josh, Nate, Hannah, Evie and Spencer. So what has gone wrong with these six (and I suppose Maddie since only RR1 scored for her)?

Hannah and Evie just seem to disappear into the background most of the time (seriously I just forget they are there most of the time) and both were probably dragged down because of the Barrett Brothers.

Nate may be the local doctor but I really cannot seem to care about him or his 'crazy wife'. I couldn't wait for him and Ricky to break up and I just don't like him. And it seems many other people don't either. Bland.

Spencer and Maddie were supposed to bring the fostering story back to the Fletcher house and become the new era of characters. Yet they have scored 1 point between them. I think Maddie has some potential

(the cancer storyline in 2015 if they do it properly could redeem her!)

but I can't see what else they can do for Spencer now!

And as for the Barrett brothers- Just ... Sigh. Where to start with these two! What a disaster 2014 has been for them. They were brought in to be the new bad boys of the show. Which the show DID not need. Then making Casey Josh's half brother made everything 10 times worse (and making the Danny braxton Story pointless). Both have proved to be really unlikeable especially Andy who personally should have died and would have made my day! I can't see where they can take them where the Braxton's haven't gone before.

The 7two effect

The last two polls have had the benefit of the early years on 7two making an impact (I think it had just begun in 2010 and didn't make much of an impact!) and the votes reflected that with Fisher, Bobby and Pippa being the big winners. However 4 main cast members who are on 7two at the moment didn't get a single vote are Greg, Nick, Roxy and Luke! While Greg may have suffered from people knowing what he is about to do to Sam after Bobby dies, Roxy and Luke are still as unpopular today as they were then!! And as for Nick... He hasn't done anything really since Lou left!!

And even Classic early years characters who made a splash on the show then failed to score- Carly and Ben both lost their votes as did Karen, Viv, Narelle and Frank. Simion didn't get a single point and I think has lost his chance to do so and While Hayden does come back the timing of each return makes me think that he won't score a point either!!

2016 Predictions

Okay I cannot say anything about the current show (apart from the fact that I hope Andy and Josh are gone) the early years will I believe will have reached the so called 'Golden age' of 1995. So watch out for Angel and Shane to move up the ranks very quickly as will Shannon and Selina. I think Curtis will get some points and watch Sophie and Especially Bobby sadly move down the poll as her death marks the end for the character (saying that though she still has to come out of the fridge... Which creeped me out no end!!)

Roll on 2016!!!

Sally and Don were my last two! I've voted for Alf in the past but someone had to make room for Michael.

First off, a big thank you to everyone who voted in the poll and has been following it in this thread, you've really helped this thing come alive.And a big round of applause and thank you to Dan, who had to do all the hard work of organising this, counting up the results and coming up with a pretty fine presentation while I just rattled off a hundred or so witty descriptions.

So, now we know where everyone finished, who didn't place at all?Well, as everyone's worked out, the missing six were Spencer, Josh, Andy, Hannah, Evelyn and Nate.Plus current guest character Sophie.Speaking personally, I find all of them pretty unlikable apart from Spencer, who's likable but has suffered by spending most of the year doing absolutely nothing.I thought Josh, Evelyn and Nate had their fans but apparently they've either gone off them or there's five people they like more.

(As for Maddy, hey, my vote's as good as anyone's.But since it's been brought up, Chris and Denny also only got one point, as did current recurring guest Cheryl, and without trawling through the results to find out how many votes they got, there's five other current main characters and one current guest on two to five points.)

And who have we lost from the 2012 poll?Well, in addition to no April and no Angelo: No Geoff.No Tony and Rachel.No Indigo, who like April has been gone less than a year.No Xavier, who also hasn't been gone that long.No Josie, so Laurie Foell is down to one character.No Shelley, the new forgotten Sutherland.No Curtis, the new absentee from the mid-90s teen group.No Joey and Tiegan, who represented the penultimate 90s teen group last time round.No Frank and Carly, who can usually be found in the lower ranks, and no Karen: I guess 1991 put people off them.No Luke Cunningham or Ryan Lee, who randomly gained a point each last time but lost them when people actually saw them.And, to my personal disappointment, no Melody.Oh well, guess she was lucky to make it into two polls.And quite a few others, check the list if you're curious.

So who will we lose before next time?With all that, it makes you think Nicole did well to hang on to one point...

RR1 - your brilliant, funny and lovely reviews for each character have been a joy to read!! ( especially Freya's :wink: ) so, thank you so much for the work you've put into them!! :D

Dan, thank you too, I always enjoy and look forward to these polls! :) really pleased my last vote, won the poll too! :)

Archived