Most Popular Character 2014

Dan F

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well well... Its only Irene!!

(I seriously thought it was going to be another character that I think is in the top 3!)

Irene still hasn't done much since 2012, or 2008. or 2006!

Despite everything though she is a much loved character and actor that is about to return on 7two for good which is a good thing to be honest (watch out for her and sally they are great together!!)

Maybe in 2015 she could get into a gang war with Brax and kyle (Now I would pay to watch that!!!)

I was expecting Brax and Casey to be in 10-20 place but not the Top 10. Shows how many newer viewers have been voting. Its like a Top 100 for Neighbours and Paige or Stingray in the Top 10 instead of Mrs Mangel and Henry for example.

The Sutherlands featured heavily 200-2004 but I found them more likeable and tame than the Braxtons, yes they had drama but were more like the Nashes or Roberts than the Braxtons.

To be honest I didn't expect Irene to be at number four, I thought she would have been far longer down on the list. She hasn't been used to her potential the last ten years, and even less since 2010 than earlier. For me she has been a completely pointless character since Belle left.

And I have to admit that Irene is the long stay character that I always have thought is extremely overrated. In the past when she has had a lot of storylines on her own, I found her over-the-top and not believable. Like the storyline with her and Diana Fraser after Chloes death..

I liked her best when she had a central role in her foster children's upbringing. I want her in that role again.

Thanks again for the update!

I think one of the things we have to remember is that the way the poll's conducted, there aren't any negative votes, it's just about which characters are people's favourites.So when you get marmite characters who tend to be either loved or loathed, their fans vote for them and everyone else just votes for someone else, no-one has points taken off.So if a character has a lot of fans, they tend to place highly.

Another thing to note is the fact that the 'current favourites' always tend to poll fairly high amongst the more classic and long-running characters.

We had Kane & Kirsty in the Top 5 in 2004, Jack & Martha in 2006 (well, Martha at 6), Jack & Martha again in 2008, Aden & Belle in 2010, Brax & Charlie in 2012... we don't really have a comparatively huge 'power couple' at the moment, but there's a lot of similar fandom for Brax in general, hence his making the Top 5. In fact it's the first time we've had so many of the older characters in 4 out of 5 positions of the Top 5, which may indicate that the current trend in popularity amongst viewers might not be as prominent as some make out.

As I said before, there's no doubt that the ongoing Early Years repeats have had a big effect on the results this year to give a slightly more balanced mix of characters, and it's not simply a case of long-term fans vs. new fans trying to outvote each other. Obviously we do still have the characters of those middle years, that some tend to forget after all these years with no exposure, but there's not much we can do about that sadly.

In any case I'm just happy that we haven't ended up with another heated debate about Braxtons/Producers etc. so we can just concentrate on the poll itself :P

Archived