Most Popular Character 2014

Dan F

That's it! Our countdown is finally over and 1st, 2nd and 3rd places are now up on the site!

Most Popular Character 2014

I'll post the full results table up a bit later on when people have had chance to see the Top 3 for themselves.

A big thanks to everyone who voted and those who have taken the time to post their thoughts on the results in here every day, makes it a lot more interesting and worthwhile! And once again a big thanks to RR1 for providing the excellent commentaries.

Have a great Christmas everyone, and we'll hopefully reconvene for the next vote in two years time :wink:

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh....

I had tiny hopes that Don would have won but never mind.

So Sally wins again by a landslide! I thought Voters would have been put off by her recent stint (I agree with Red Ranger why did her daughter have to be dying!! Why????) But never mind. I wonder if Kate will return between now and 2016... Who knows! I don't know if the 7two votes helped though because Kate doesn't do much for a while between 1992 and 1995!

Alf may have been helped by the 7two voters rather than the recent voters because my god he is doing 80% more now than on the current show. I think the producers have seen though the reaction of the forums like this and wanting more exposure for him which they are finally doing on the current show!! If they would only listen about Irene now....

As for Fisher it is amazing how much of an Impact the early years are having on people. Him and Sam together is wonderful to watch and never wavers throughout the rest of the 90s!! I think this is the reason they kept Sam on after Bobby Died and Greg gave up!! And Remember. Don has still to marry Maz which will be fantastic to watch if 7two keep it on (which they have too).

But in the end a fantastic poll and I will be commenting later on the lack of success for the current lot and what we may see in the next poll in 2016!!

Thanks Dan and Red Ranger for this!!

After counting up (no less than 4 times) I was very surprised by the order of the Top 5 - not so much Sally, but definitely the others.

I was extremely pleased to see Don come so high up in the ranks after all these years, as he's always been one of my favourite characters and the one I gave my top points to. He came 12th in the very first poll, but then sunk down into the 30's for several years. It's only in 2012 (no doubt thanks to the Early Years repeats) that he came back up to 9th and is now finally in the Top 3.

It's also the first time that Alf has reached the Top 5.

That really is a true reflection of the ongoing popularity of characters over time. With both the current show and Early Years running this is not going to be current popularity poll and I'm glad of that.

Both Alf and Don are a couple of my favourites and I think Alf has returned to his place as the heart and soul of Summer Bay in recent times along with Irene.

A bit strange with only the early years and long stay characters on the top, especially when they really haven't done anything in years in the current show. But maybe that is the reason, I think that the fans of the early years have stronger feelings about the early days of the show versus the current show now than two years ago and earlier. And really wanted to support their favourites.

I know they have tried to make Alf a more important character for the community the last few years, but for me he isn't as interesting as he was a few years ago. I feel that he had a much natural part of it before 2010, because of his involvement in his grandchildrens lives. And I loved him back then. I don't think he has the same chemistry with Roo, it was great in 2010 when she returned, but from 2011 it has been really weird. And they are a bit separated from the rest. I still like him, but something is missing. I really want a new grandchild for Alf.

Sally on top.. Not surprising, I thought it was her or Brax on the top...

Don was a great character. I loved him, except from his relationship with Marilyn. I loved him as a important figure to the Summer Bay community. I remember that in the late 90's and early 00's I thought that Don was a better character than Alf, because I found him much warmer. Alf was a bit hard back then, together with Ailsa.

Some people love characters who has stayed for years, and see it as an important thing for the show to keep the characters as long as possible. I am not one of those. I think that characters are interesting when they are exploring their past and their personalities really well. And most characters are going stale for me if they stay longer than 2-3 years. But for me the most memorable moments with the show is with characters who don't have stayed for more than 3-4 years.

I do like the long stay characters too, but I don't think it is that important that the show revolves around them. I like them to be there to give Summer Bay the community feel. Still wish they very used more effectively than they are now.

But when I am voting in this poll, I vote for the characters that have given me the most memorable moments in the show. Most of them are characters who appeared for 3-4 years during 1998-2010.

Thanks again for the great work with this list RR1 and Dan F. Always interesting to read this poll.

Archived