Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

Does anyone know if this is true? Apparently the lunchtime showing has been dropped.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957734

I've seen that, was about to post it until I saw you've done that. It does make sense because I think they don't get much viewership during lunchtime episode. I've looked around but I haven't seen or found anything official yet.

Whilst it's sad - we've had Aussie soaps on twice a day for nearly 30 years - it makes sense in the brave new era of on demand. Also, there's at least one mid afternoon repeat on 5* I believe.

I don't expect Neighbours to follow just yet thanks to its big student following.

I have to say though, it's performing so badly compared to Neighbours that I wonder how long until it's shunted off to 5* altogether?

When H&A first started on ITV in 1989 it aired once a day at 5:10pm. The following year (I think it was) during the school holidays, they started to show a repeat episode in the morning during Children's ITV. Later this became a lunchtime repeat which aired in various slots including at around 12:30. This was either a new episode, or a repeat of the previous day. Then, a matter of weeks before H&A disappeared from ITV altogether they dropped the lunchtime episode.

I haven't seen any sources other than the forum post link above mentioning dropping the lunchime episode on C5, however it got less than 200K viewers (2.3% share) yesterday when adjacent to a much-anticipated episode of Neighbours, but yet got its highest episode of the year in the 6pm slot, no doubt boosted by a special extra episode of Neighbours.H&A has consistently rated lower than Neighbours on C5, despite receiving probably at least as much promotion and being in a later timeslot. WIth the two shows being side by side, it seems obvious that e.g. in the evening, some viewers are actually turning over from C5 before H&A starts. If H&A can't build on a ready-made audience at 6pm, it's doing something wrong.

I wonder if C5 are obliged to continue to show H&A until it ends, and are they happy or not with its current performance? In any case, if they are dropping the lunchtime episode, it will be interesting to see if the ratings for the evening episode rise or fall...not to mention whether the series can retain viewers over this May break.

Edited by Gerard

I've been heavily concerned at the show's performance against Neighbours for some time. Like you say, there's a ready-made audience going into 6pm, but they're switching off during that junction. One option would be to have an accelerated flow at 6pm and take a simlar approach to the Aussies: have generic credits for Neighbours running on a strap underneath the promo for the next episode. Quick 5s ident and straight into Home & Away. Even if that meant parking two breaks in both shows (like on 5*) I think this would help drag the Neighbours audience over to Home & Away.

Channel 5 have the rights to the show until it ends, but I'm not sure if they're contractually obliged to broadcast it. I think there's a few factors at play.

• Some people are watching at Australian pace online.
  • A lot of people are watching on Demand 5.
  • A lot of people are watching First Look on 5*

But it's indisputable that the show's looking seriously past its' sell-by date. Ten years ago I never missed an episode, now I barely watch it, although I'll be tuned in for the London episodes. Unfortunately, I'm of the school of thought that agrees Lucy & Louise are killing the show with constant reliance on the Braxtons and Underbelly type storylines. I said a while back that the show isn't sustainable long-term in its' current format and I feel I'm beginning to be proven right.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the show quietly shuffles off to 5* in the next 2-3 years.

• Like 1